any recommendations for seoul / korea

sellout1sellout1 83 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
hey there,
i??ll go to seoul for a business trip and as i have a bit of spare time on the weekends i??d like to know if there is any cool spots that are worth visiting. in general i??m looking for some shops and flea markets, etc where i can find records and stuff like that. many thanks for your help. cheers seb??

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts

peace, stein. . .:)

• sellout1sellout1 83 Posts
    wooord!

• sellout1 said:
    hey there,
    i??m looking for some shops and flea markets, etc where i can find records and stuff like that. many thanks for your help. cheers seb??

This is the place

Sorry I can't give directions as I've lost the ones I had.
    It's now become popular with Japanese diggers (as well as Russians looking for Queen OGs) so will probably be picked clean, but still worth a look as there is loads of non-record stuff as well.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    plainstone said:
    sellout1 said:
    hey there,
    i??m looking for some shops and flea markets, etc where i can find records and stuff like that. many thanks for your help. cheers seb??

This is the place

It's now become popular with Japanese diggers (as well as Russians looking for Queen OGs) so will probably be picked clean, but still worth a look as there is loads of non-record stuff as well.

Yeah, that's a pretty good spot. Can't remember where it is. It's in an underground walkway/mall near a subway station in a busy shopping district. There is a section down there of camera gear as well.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Link up with the TurntableLab Korea guys, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction...

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    DOR said:
    plainstone said:
    sellout1 said:
    hey there,

This is the place

Yeah, that's a pretty good spot. Can't remember where it is. It's in an underground walkway/mall near a subway station in a busy shopping district. There is a section down there of camera gear as well.
    Im afraid this is going to be very vague, but make your way to the main post office in
    Seoul. It's in front of a big fountain on the street. Find one of the entrances to the
    underground mall and then wander around a bit. Hopefully you'll stumble accross it as I did.

Might want to take a big ball of string. And maybe a broadsword too. The mall is pretty massive.

great guys, thank you very much, i??ll try my best to find the good spots, i??ve heard about that mall as well as a flea market like thing which is happening in a football stadium or something like that. can??t wait for that trip as i just heard i have four full days to walk around and try my luck finding good stuff...big up to my boss for paying that trip. looking forward to get some more infos. many thanks, seb??

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    plainstone said:
    sellout1 said:

Most depressing "diggin'" video evar. No music, disinterested people, harsh lighting, yards of dollarbin junk, baby crying in background, kill me now.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    plainstone said:
    sellout1 said:
    hey there,

This is the place

This is in Myoungdong and it's really easy to find. There's a whole labyrinth of underground stores in that area and about 4-5 record stores are grouped in one corner near some stairs (not by the Myoungdong subway station). But that place is picked clean. Tons of classical, disco, heavy metal, and 80's Korean pop are pretty much all that remain.

I tried to find a long post I threw up on SS a few years back about digging in Seoul, but I couldn't find it.

What kind of stuff are you looking for in Seoul? The city is divided by a river and the north and south side have a completely different flavor.

ddown said:
    plainstone said:
    sellout1 said:
    hey there,

This is the place

This is in Myoungdong and it's really easy to find. There's a whole labyrinth of underground stores in that area and about 4-5 record stores are grouped in one corner near some stairs (not by the Myoungdong subway station). But that place is picked clean. Tons of classical, disco, heavy metal, and 80's Korean pop are pretty much all that remain.

I tried to find a long post I threw up on SS a few years back about digging in Seoul, but I couldn't find it.

What kind of stuff are you looking for in Seoul? The city is divided by a river and the north and south side have a completely different flavor.

thank you very much, looks really impressive, but honestly i was expecting it to be totally cleaned out, what i??m looking for is mostly korean soundtracks and some local psych and rock stuff. i general i don??t care as long as it has some nice moments, drums or loops. i??ve been to a lot of cleaned out spaces all over the world in the past and i always came up with some nice finds. let??s see, i can??t wait to go on that trip even if i won??t find the grails and stuff like that.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Soundtracks? If you're looking for stuff like "It Rained Yesterday," "Hometown Hero" (as they're usually mistranslated on eBay), "Winter Woman," and stuff like that, they aren't too hard to find. But thanks to hordes of foreign diggers looking for them, they now sell for about $50-100. (They used to cost $5-10 just a year or so ago).

That particular Myoungdong store (in the video) is the best one in that underground area, but you won't find much. The last time I was there, they had an OG Kim Jung Mi (Shin Jung Hyun production with banging drums), but it wasn't in great condition and the owner was asking for about $500. You'll find some decent 70s/early-80s Korean records at fair prices, but you have to know what you're looking for. They might play a few records for you, but you can't take a whole stack and needle drop each one.

I might post a minor digging story in that thread about digging in Korea when I find time.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Plz to find me a He 6 album on the cheap. Thank you