Rockadelic Texas adjustments?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
How much culture shock was there when u went to Texas.

Did u land in same area u are in now?

Were u already a grwon man or a wet behind the ears twenty something?

Did you collect in NYC and was there a game change to collecting when landing in Texas?

Did u go to Texas while you were in NYC and already had a taste of what to expect?

Why Texas?

What did u intially feel bad about losing NYC wise when u left.?

Were there many Russians in Brooklyn when u were there in the 70s?

Did u wear you white Gucci belt in Texas? Was there a big clothing style change when u got there?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    How much culture shock was there when u went to Texas.

Personally, not much???.my Mom is from N.C. and I spent enough time down there to know something besides NYC. Right after High School I hitch-hiked around the country spending time in L.A. and S.F. so I had a good idea of what the rest of the country was like.

Did u land in same area u are in now?

Yes

Were u already a grwon man or a wet behind the ears twenty something?

22 years old but had been out on my own for 5 years.

Did you collect in NYC and was there a game change to collecting when landing in Texas?

I had 300-400 records growing up but I didn???t really consider myself a collector. I collected old wind-up toys when I lived in NY and just couldn't find them here in Texas so I turned to records when I found a box of them for sale at a local Flea Market. Little did I know that five dollar purcahse would change my life forever.

Did u go to Texas while you were in NYC and already had a taste of what to expect?

I had travelled through the Panhandle on my way to Cali but had no idea what Dallas was all about.

Why Texas?

I realized early on that my peers who stayed in NY were on a dead end path and I wanted to get as far away as possible. I worked for a company that was opening up a branch in Texas and after the dude they hired to run it quit they came out to the Plant and asked if anyone wanted to move to Texas???that was on a Wednesday and I was living here that Friday.

What did u intially feel bad about losing NYC wise when u left.?

Friends, family, the night life, certain types of food. What I didn???t miss was the cost of living and cold weather

Were there many Russians in Brooklyn when u were there in the 70s?

Very few

Did u wear you white Gucci belt in Texas? Was there a big clothing style change when u got there?

My white Gucci belt never made it to Texas. I???m a pretty boring jeans/t-shirt army surplus on Canal St. fashion guy. I???ve never owned a pair of Cowboy boots and even when I tended bar in a C&W joint I still dressed the same as I did on the streets of NYC.

When I moved here there were a lot of people and businesses moving to the area from NY and other northern cities. The population of the D/FW area is truly a melting pot of all 50 states. It seemed to me that the ambitious folks that wanted a better life came down here while the dude I left on the barstool in my neighborhood tavern is still there nursing the same beer.

The biggest thing to get used to here is the heat???.my car thermometer read 111 yesterday and if you???re not used to it that can be a killer. Food wise we now have just about everything you have in NY and while our Pizza and Chinese food may not be on NYC level the Tex-Mex and S.A. food makes up for it. The cost of living here is ridiculous and quite honestly I can???t comprehend how folks live and own homes in places like L.A. and NYC. I have a 4,000+ square foot house, three levels with an 8 mile view off my balcony that cost me >$200K and I pay 1/5th the taxes that my folks do on a smaller house in Nassau County. My house in NY would be an easy 7 figures

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    On the next episode of "Know Your Dealer"...........

holmes said:

Seriously....wait until I work up my Batmon questionaire.

I have a friend, my brother's business partner in their record label, who moved to New Zealand a few years back. He and his wife smelled a foul odor one day in their home that kept getting stronger and stronger throughout the week. Finally they called out an exterminator and found that a nest of Penguin eggs had hatched under their house....talk about culture shock!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    holmes said:

Seriously....wait until I work up my Batmon questionaire.

I have a friend, my brother's business partner in their record label, who moved to New Zealand a few years back. He and his wife smelled a foul odor one day in their home that kept getting stronger and stronger throughout the week. Finally they called out an exterminator and found that a nest of Penguin eggs had hatched under their house....talk about culture shock!!
    That is so NZ. Quite often we find small Penguins washed up on the beach after being battered by the sea, it's pretty sad to see them lifeless. One of the biggest news stories here lately was a Emperor Penguin that landed ashore, the country has collectively named it "Happy Feet" & we have set our best Gastroenterologist with the task of flushing the debri out of it's gut & getting it back to full health. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5267360/New-playground-for-Happy-Feet
    I had to rescue a Shag/Cormorant off our local beach over Xmas, sadly it didn't make it.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

The biggest thing to get used to here is the heat???.my car thermometer read 111 yesterday and if you???re not used to it that can be a killer. Food wise we now have just about everything you have in NY and while our Pizza and Chinese food may not be on NYC level the Tex-Mex and S.A. food makes up for it. The cost of living here is ridiculous and quite honestly I can???t comprehend how folks live and own homes in places like L.A. and NYC. I have a 4,000+ square foot house, three levels with an 8 mile view off my balcony that cost me >$200K and I pay 1/5th the taxes that my folks do on a smaller house in Nassau County. My house in NY would be an easy 7 figures

[/b]

just moved to Dallas. i have lived in NYC my whole life basically. was paying almost $1100 (and that was about to go up) for a studio surrounded by dirty neighbors (you guys remember Bullet Tooth and the woman who throws her trash on the fire escape). came here. moved into a 2 floor town home with my friend with our own little slice of property and pay $475/month each. the records are good so far. the food is great (agree with the shitty pizza and chinese food but those aren't that big of a deal)

the heat though. THE HEAT!!! if i put my AC on in the car (necessity) my temperature gauge starts to rise. the skin on my cheeks feels tight. some days i don't want to leave the house. my room mate got heat exhaustion the other day and puked all over the place. anyone know a reliable mechanic who won't scam me??

but yea. to put it in perspective. i went to a mutual friends house the other day to hang out. they had a huge 3 bedroom house in a really nice part of town on a nice quiet street. this house cost around $300k. my uncle owns a 2 bedroom house about 1/4 the size in Scarsdale, NY on a crowded block and paid $850k for it.

i like it here a lot. i do miss my friends and family though. i also miss the comfort of knowing where I am and being able to go and do anything i want and feel safe from my years of residency. sometimes i catch myself driving through South Dallas with my NY plates on some gross ass hood street thinking "what the hell am i doing here?" and then i go "oh yea. trying something different"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    2 things...

1. Lots more trucks.

2. Lots more Mexicans.

Both wind up being really good things IMO.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    2 things...

1. Lots more trucks.

2. Lots more Mexicans.

If you're moving locally, hell yes.

HarveyCanal said:
    2 things...

1. Lots more trucks.

2. Lots more Mexicans.

i have more of a problem with the trucks. i noticed no one honks out here either. people still drive like assholes but they keep the noise to a minimum

[ anyone know a reliable mechanic who won't scam me??

Lopez Auto on Rock Island Rd. in Irving.....ask for Robbie Lopez and tell him I sent you...for real.

972-438-5555

behemoth said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    2 things...

1. Lots more trucks.

2. Lots more Mexicans.

i have more of a problem with the trucks. i noticed no one honks out here either. people still drive like assholes but they keep the noise to a minimum

Honking breeds shooting, which reminds me...

3. Lots more guns.

DB_Cooper said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    2 things...

1. Lots more trucks.

2. Lots more Mexicans.

If you're moving locally, hell yes.

^^Funny Post^^

[ anyone know a reliable mechanic who won't scam me??

Lopez Auto on Rock Island Rd. in Irving.....ask for Robbie Lopez and tell him I sent you...for real.

972-438-5555

thanks!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

1. Lots more trucks.

Food trucks??

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    HarveyCanal said:

1. Lots more trucks.

Food trucks??

Ha!

But yeah...between cities, there are a shit ton of roadside stands selling beef jerky, watermelon, and peaches.

Maybe we can get Drew to post in here as he recently relocated to Houston.

• I moved from L.A. to Denton (40 miles north of Dallas) about four years ago to go to school. I always thought I'd move back to L.A. when I finished but due to lack of jobs and the high cost of living in L.A. i decided to move down to dallas instead, which I'll be doing in the next month. Myself and a buddy have been looking for places in the Lakewood, Uptown, Oak Lawn areas, and so far have found pretty decent deals. In L.A. i lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with five/six dudes, rent was $2500 a month, now I can rest safely in a 2-bedroom apartment on Knox/Henderson for a sweet $1000 a month. Even though L.A. and NYC offer vastly better music/art/dance/ scenes, i'm not sure if it's worth the corrolary stress that goes along with living there.

Rockadelic, do you ever hit up garage sales on sat/sun mornings around the east dallas area? I've been told there are a lot of good finds.

Keeping it record related Dallas has a very laid back and friendly digging scene. There aren't as many diggers as in other cities of this size but those that are here share leads, go digging together and are just chill in general.

No backstabbing, no sleazy shit.....just a bunch of good folks who like to dig.

I don't think I could deal with the stories I hear about in places like NYC....takes the fun out of it.

youknowyouknow said:
    IRockadelic, do you ever hit up garage sales on sat/sun mornings around the east dallas area? I've been told there are a lot of good finds.

I used to map out Garage Sales and hit them every weekend back in the day.....did real well but gave it up when I moved out to the boondocks.

youknowyouknow said:

Plus we have Campisi's Egyptian Room on Mockingbird......I bring most first time visitors there and it's always a highlight.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Did u get any shit from the locals for being from NYC?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    BATMON moving to texas?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Brian said:
    BATMON moving to texas?

it sounds that way, but nah, Im too large for Texas!

batmon said:
    Did u get any shit from the locals for being from NYC?

When I first got here Texas was being taken over by Yankees and the locals didn't like it.

Bumper stickers that read "Love NY, Take I-30 East" was a common sight.

Today there are so many NY'ers down here no one says a thing...and the only time I hear the word Yankee is when the Bronx Bombers are in town....and you best believe they are HATTED here!