Digging in Albuquerque,New Mexico??

spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Just wanted to see if any Strutters would be kind enough to put me up on any decent record spots in New Mexico.Headed there next week to see the in-laws for turkey time and would like to get my fingers dustified.Any help would be greatly apreciated.Thanks in advance dudes.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Most of the spots there have closed down....there's a Flea Market on the weekend that has vinyl and a store down near the college that has LP's boxed up in the back that dude will let you look at but are priced up fairly high....they have a Record Show there twice a year that's pretty good but othet than that....weak. Two local dudes "Slo-Lo" seem to have the town on lock as well.

• A decade ago I was working that town and found myself wayyyy the hell out in some scary ass suburb where every other shop was a pawn shop, gun shop or liquor store. I stumbled on a building that was one half 50's soda
    fountain and one half record store. When I walked in it was deserted except for one of the most beautiful girls I had ever seen working behind the soda fountain counter complete with red and white striped shirt, white skirt and pigtails. I was in there alone with her for like 15 minutes, so completely distracted I couldn't look through the records. Ended up shuffling out the front door with my head down and I'm pretty sure when I yelled "bye" my voice cracked.

Doubt that place is still around.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Two local dudes "Slo-Lo" seem to have the town on lock as well.

Truth. Good dudes.

There are infinite indoor flea markets, thrift stores and antique shops to keep you occupied for a few days. Get dirty.

Oh yeah, the dude who used to own Leopold's in Berkeley opened a store on Lomas and San Mateo called "WE BUY RECORDS". I've found some insane records at that place over the years. Ask to see the dollar records in the back.

• wasnt there a spot called the wizards den or something?? i found good things in there.
    i found a 1619 badass band for 50 cents among a crate of five dollar billy joel records in a hiphoppy shop.
    theres a lot of antique malls on the main strip through town that seemed decent. i caught some bollywood soundtracks and a big bird portable

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    We used to pull things like 10 years ago or so-it was always hit & miss. I went to the soda fountain-candy store/record shop-yes pretty trippy-it kept the old girlfriend occupied for awhile though-also used to be that hipster shop Babylon-5 mins f/downtown on main drag-coffee/books/knick knacks/etc-pulled some good Latin ish out of there-Good luck!

• 4YearGraduate said:
    wayyyy the hell out in some scary ass suburb

thanks.

• Hey n that's just how I remembr it. I could be wrong, I really don't care. I know double got a gun pulled on him that day too.

It was pretty methy

esskay said:
    also used to be that hipster shop Babylon-5 mins f/downtown on main drag-coffee/books/knick knacks/etc-pulled some good Latin ish out of there-Good luck!

You talkin about Mecca on Central? I used to live a block away from there. That guy doesn't really know shit, which is good and bad in many ways: you can sometimes find grails for cheap but also he doesn't know how to get good vinyl coming through there with any consistency.

b/w

Spexx, PM me or DJDaze if you need more info on anything.

4YearGraduate said:
    Hey n that's just how I remembr it. I could be wrong, I really don't care. I know double got a gun pulled on him that day too.

It was pretty methy

Maybe so, but 'Burque is just G in general, too.

• Thank you all for the info.You dudes rock.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    musica said:
    esskay said:
    also used to be that hipster shop Babylon-5 mins f/downtown on main drag-coffee/books/knick knacks/etc-pulled some good Latin ish out of there-Good luck!

You talkin about Mecca on Central? I used to live a block away from there. That guy doesn't really know shit, which is good and bad in many ways: you can sometimes find grails for cheap but also he doesn't know how to get good vinyl coming through there with any consistency.

b/w

Spexx, PM me or DJDaze if you need more info on anything.

mecca fuckin sucks. Only good spots around here anymore are the indoor flea markets. And those suck too. I hate not living in a big city anymore ...in that respect.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    My Babylon bad = Mecca

• Fuck all you Mecca haters..Rocky is cool and its the only store in NM where you can buy Daptone,truth&soul; numero group etc..I have found plenty of good stuff there for good prices..I'd check it out homeboy

• 4YearGraduate said:
    A decade ago I was working that town and found myself wayyyy the hell out in some scary ass suburb where every other shop was a pawn shop, gun shop or liquor store. I stumbled on a building that was one half 50's soda
    fountain and one half record store. When I walked in it was deserted except for one of the most beautiful girls I had ever seen working behind the soda fountain counter complete with red and white striped shirt, white skirt and pigtails. I was in there alone with her for like 15 minutes, so completely distracted I couldn't look through the records. Ended up shuffling out the front door with my head down and I'm pretty sure when I yelled "bye" my voice cracked.

Doubt that place is still around.

Sounds like a good beginning to an Erotic digger fiction novel cept you were meant to find rares while the girl in pigtails twirled her fingers thru her hair and spilt cream on her chest while she was making a sundae..

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Ayrotollah77 said:
    Fuck all you Mecca haters..Rocky is cool and its the only store in NM where you can buy Daptone,truth&soul; numero group etc..I have found plenty of good stuff there for good prices..I'd check it out homeboy

saying! i have found some cool latin records there as well as a super clean copy of the brothers by choice lp for 4 bucks. there is a lot of chud to dig thru but its worth checking out. does the comic book shop in snob hill still have records in the back? i have found some quality shit there before.
    b/w
    don't buy up all the records 'cuz i'll be in NM in a week. ;)

• don't buy up all the records 'cuz i'll be in NM in a week. ;)
    Looks like I should be saying that to you mayne...My kids are flu stricken so I postponed my trip til next month.Once again,thanks to all of you for the info.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Ayrotollah77 said:
    Fuck all you Mecca haters..Rocky is cool and its the only store in NM where you can buy Daptone,truth&soul; numero group etc..I have found plenty of good stuff there for good prices..I'd check it out homeboy

haha damn P

okay Mecca is pretty good....for Albuquerque

I'm certainly not advocating that people NOT go to Mecca. Like I said, I've found some raers there in my day (Tom Scott- Honeysuckle Breeze, Both Worlds - Dontcha Hide it, Pretty Purdie - Soul Drums LP, etc etc) all for cheap. I hit that spot up whenever I'm in town and usually buy a few records plus hip hop / soul CD's.

The first time I hit up We Buy Records I went straight to the International section and found a stack of Island Funk/Soul LPs with some ridiculous schitt in there (Creative Sounds of the Organization, Sparrow's Troubadours Hot & Sweat, Syd Jones, etc). I love when that happens.

• djdaze said:
    Ayrotollah77 said:

haha damn P

okay Mecca is pretty good....for Albuquerque

Good way to put it J..

• JMoneyJMoney 16 Posts
    Yo Strutters,

J from Slo-Low here. If anyone is in ABQ digging for vinyl, look me up. Tons of soul/funk 45s in stock right now. The second record show of the year is on August 7th and we will be having a "Spin-Dig" the night before. If you're a dealer or a spinner, and can make it...let me know. It's a great time to buy, sell, trade, drink beers and eat green chile cheese burgers.

J$