turntable at work

BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
I work at a really boring office job and have nothing but time to listen to music which is what I usually do.. but by the time I get home I don't want to listen to anything (my records)... Right now I'm thinking about getting a Numark portable to listen at my desk. Bit afraid of annoying people directly beside me with the faint stylus noise tho..

Anybody else doing this?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I have no idea what kind of job you have, but this sounds like a good way to get fired.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts

^or a crosley revolution, sound burger knock off

Horseleech said:
    I have no idea what kind of job you have, but this sounds like a good way to get fired.

I work in a music licensing agency doing computer database work.. don't think I'd be fired but it might be frowned upon

• Sounds distracting. Ipods are generally frowned upon, so I can't imagine pulling that off.

Beatsoup said:
    Horseleech said:

I work in a music licensing agency doing computer database work.. don't think I'd be fired but it might be frowned upon

Were you going to ask if this is OK first?

I own two record stores and am a pushover to work for and there's no way I'd tolerate this.

In fact, there's no way I'd tolerate any headphone wearing - how am I supposed to communicate with you?.

But I wouldn't fire you, I'd just ask what the fuk are you thinking. And if I didn't like your answer then I'd fire you.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    i have a columbia gp-3 on my desk. no one cares. plug in headphones at the office; get your work done. recommended.

Horseleech said:
    Beatsoup said:
    Horseleech said:

Were you going to ask if this is OK first?

I own two record stores and am a pushover to work for and there's no way I'd tolerate this.

In fact, there's no way I'd tolerate any headphone wearing - how am I supposed to communicate with you?.

But I wouldn't fire you, I'd just ask what the fuk are you thinking. And if I didn't like your answer then I'd fire you.

My job is pretty different, I'm basically human computer software, everyone here wears headphones and the boss only checks in a couple times a month. Her desk is in another building... If I was 100% sure I wouldn't have made the post, just wondering if anyone else is doing it. I think I could get away with it.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    i bring in my PT01 during slow weeks at work, some interested parties, but my boss could care less. tons of people at my office wear headphones connected to their computer, ipod or a boom box, others have clock radios playing NPR or country at low volumes. as long as listening to music while working is tolerated already i don't see why a portable would cause any major upsets.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Coworkers have given me hundreds of records over the years after bringing a turntable into work.

• billbradley said:
    Coworkers have given me hundreds of records over the years after bringing a turntable into work.

Love this shit! I remember a dude at my old work started talking to me about music. Records came up and he was like, "Really? You listen to records? I got a whole box I was going to throw out". He brought them in for me the next day! No raers, but some solid A-Z shit.

Everyone listens to headphones at my work so I know (apart from the awkward explanations for my actions) no one would be opposed to me listening to records at my desk. I used to bring a Fisher Price to my old job and people loved it. They thought it was so cute.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Kinda realted....
    I used to work at a place very close to one of the best record spots in Tokyo.
    It was also across the road from a really nice park.

I often went for small digs at lunch time, but my plan was to bring my GP-3
    with headphones and do a 30 minute dig followed by a 30+ minute listen in
    the park while eating a lunch box.

Would have been nice, but unfortunately the job sucked and I quite before I could put the plan in action....

cookbook said:
    i bring in my PT01 during slow weeks at work, some interested parties, but my boss could care less. tons of people at my office wear headphones connected to their computer, ipod or a boom box, others have clock radios playing NPR or country at low volumes. as long as listening to music while working is tolerated already i don't see why a portable would cause any major upsets.

Ha, I'm out of touch - I haven't had an office job in 25 years.

If you can bring records to work, things are a lot better now than they were then.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    cookbook said:
    my boss could'nt care less

mattB said:
    cookbook said:
    my boss couldn't care less

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    mattB said:
    cookbook said:
    my boss couldn't care less

i suppose she COULD care less

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    paren said:
    i have a columbia gp-3 on my desk. no one cares. plug in headphones at the office; get your work done. recommended.

This is my experience exactly. If people wear headphones at your office, I don't see any reason why having a turntable would be any different from listening off an iPod or computer or CD player.

One thing, I work in a lab so I'm up and down a lot, so sometimes I wear cheapo wireless headphones so that I don't stand up and accidently drag my turntable and raers onto the floor.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I would love to see someone flipping to side B in their cubicle.

Glad to hear people are rocking tables in the work place! Gonna grab a Numark tomorrow..