Classical Game (RR)

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
In these dire times recordwise and with a master's thesis to finish, I have been digging for classical a lot more. The quality and emotion of the genre makes it that regular finds can still be life changing musical pieces and the price is almost always right (i've even seen classical reissues!) it also makes a disapointing store visit worthwhile.
I know this may not be the genre of predilection around these parts (take that shit to dvorakcrates.com) but i wonder if any of you dig for classical...especially you heavyweight dealer types...do rockadelic,kidinquisitve and the_non dig through UK original decca stacks on the road?
does karlophone have a chamber of chamber music?
any japanese audiophile dudes here..anyone have some grails to post?
just share your classical game and how it has evolved

Comments

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    pcmr said:
    In these dire times recordwise and with a master's thesis to finish, I have been digging for classical a lot more. The quality and emotion of the genre makes it that regular finds can still be life changing musical pieces and the price is almost always right (i've even seen classical reissues!) it also makes a disapointing store visit worthwhile.
    I know this may not be the genre of predilection around these parts (take that shit to dvorakcrates.com) but i wonder if any of you dig for classical...especially you heavyweight dealer types...do rockadelic,kidinquisitve and the_non dig through UK original decca stacks on the road?
    does karlophone have a chamber of chamber music?
    any japanese audiophile dudes here..anyone have some grails to post?
    just share your classical game and how it has evolved

Classical is what I pull the most when digging. Tons of titles and labels to sift through but with a good education of the premier titles you can score some major heat. Also they are 9 times out of 10 in NM shape.

I have pulled several Richter, Oistrakh, Starker, Martzy, Fischer, Fournier that have brought some serious money as well as some that have stayed in my collection. A really overlooked genre that can be very rewarding.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    One of the worlds largest classical sellers lives in my town.
    The chances of finding $$$ heat in store bins here is thin because he makes the rounds on the regular.
    But out side of the stores, I watch for the stereo pressings that were a big deal 10 years ago, and for dead fiddlers, as mentioned above. I wholesale them over to our local guy when I pick them up.

What I have missed out on over the years, but have my eye out for now are Andy Warhol covers.
    Have one now, and have had a few more since I started looking. They are not rare.

Then there are the classicalpsychfunk titles like the 2 John Williams I pickup.

So, pcmr, you are into classical, solo piano and are Canadian.
    Want to give us your top 5 Glenn Goulds to look for?

• LaserWolf said:
    What I have missed out on over the years, but have my eye out for now are Andy Warhol covers.

Thank you so much for this jewel of knowledge! I can't believe how many of these albums I've seen in thrift stores and just totally passed on having no idea how much $$$ they are worth. Crazy!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    LaserWolf said:

Thank you so much for this jewel of knowledge! I can't believe how many of these albums I've seen in thrift stores and just totally passed on having no idea how much $$$ they are worth. Crazy!

Actually, these have already peaked and prices are falling dramatically for all but a couple of genuinely rare ones. I did an an auction of about 40 Warhol covers some months ago which set the high water mark for a number of titles. This brought a flood of similar auctions to ebay and the prices on virtually every record I sold have not been equaled since.

A prime example is the VG++ John Wallowitch record I sold for $1700+ and a few weeks later sealed copies were going for $120.

I'm sure prices will rebound eventually, but right now they've crashed for the most part. I have another large auction I've put together, but I'm not putting it up for at least a year or two.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

So, pcmr, you are into classical, solo piano and are Canadian.
    Want to give us your top 5 Glenn Goulds to look for?

there are plenty
    i say the bach goldberg variations both periods of time
    partitas 1-2
    mozart sonatas

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    here is part of a recent haul

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    heres a nasty lil double bass solo record i pulled a while back.

rodion azarkhin virtuoso performances on .mp3

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    heres a nasty lil double bass solo record i pulled a while back.

thanks man, :feelin_it: