No Records in Montreal?

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Hi montrealers, I love your city but there are NO records of any interest at the shops listed in city guide and or elsewhere on the net. Is the record situation really this dire or am I missing something?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Montreal was GREAT in the early 00's... Even then, that was the end.

Many great memories at Mars...

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    No, there aren't very many records.
    Just stick to digging for ladies.

cove said:

Yes. Women in Montreal are VERY friendly.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Mars was the epitome
    but honestly i've been pretty satisfied with my recent trips to the local spots
    however not much to blow my mind excepts the recent hutcherson find
    33 tours had decent Blue note OGs on the wall awhile ago (dude slowly going through a collection)
    however its nothing incredible but it's not terrible either
    that store in NDG i listed in the city guide is dry as bone recently

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Am I missing something?

however
    june july has a huge tourist wave hit the city and the owners are happy but there is not much left behind

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'm sorry, but I got it in coppin' vinyls in Montreal (back in August 2010). You can hear a number of my finds on the "Grown Folks Music" mix I made in September last year. I visited two cool stores there that were a block from one another.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    RAJ said:
    cove said:

Yes. Women in Montreal are VERY friendly.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

I'm sorry, but I got it in coppin' vinyls in Montreal (back in August 2010). You can hear a number of my finds on the "Grown Folks Music" mix I made in September last year. I visited two cool stores there that were a block from one another.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

primitive records?

btw this city is upside down sometimes
    i've seen melody nelson for 40$ sit in the bin for months in 2 different stores
    including not being sold at a record convention

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    pcmr said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

primitive records?

Hey Pcmr,

Yes, I went to Primitive and the name of the other store, just a block away on the same street, escapes me. I had amazing hauls from both spots.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    pcmr said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

primitive records?

Please, to cop and send to me next time this happens. I'll have $40 waiting (plus shipping).

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    honestly i should have posted it
    it's gone down in value so i did not want to flip it

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    N*ah,
    I could tell you where to look, but I'd have to kill you.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• oripsorips 238 Posts

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    if u can't pull records out of montreal, it might be time to hang it up...

• Montreal used to be amazing for records, but that was a few years ago. I used to spend my non-existent funds as a student on records and then when I moved back to Ottawa I used to drive to Montreal for shows and to visit friends and always came home with great stuff. (Now Ottawa, THAT is a record wasteland, but that's another story.) I haven't been to Montreal in about half a decade though. Most of the spots I used to hit are gone, but I have fond memories of $2 heat from L'??change on St-Denis, Noise, Disquivel, Le Pick-up and a bunch of other places. Even the chudbin emporium by Berri station yielded goods once upon a time, and avant heat for days at Esoterik, with fruitful visits to the backroom when my homie J**** was working.

Mars always terrified me, I thought I'd get syphilis and leprosy from just going inside that place, and the owner was a douche. I am sure that as a result I missed out on a ton of stuff, but I just remember walking in there once, the guy being a dick, the place being disgusting and beat to shit records being priced at 10x going rate, so I just left and took a shower as soon as I could.

• p_gunn said:
    I pulled a few things, but nothing major at all and that certainly was not a result of lack of effort. Most of the older hotspots like disquivel, etc have dissapared and other places like cheap thrills are shadows of their former selves. Bins are stuffed with pure chud and the places that do feature "collector" vinyl like aux 33 tours are asking silly prices: who is going to walk in there and drop 90 bucks on a second pressing of art Blakey big beat? Or the $140 Marius cultier?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    p_gunn said:
    I pulled a few things, but nothing major at all and that certainly was not a result of lack of effort. Most of the older hotspots like disquivel, etc have dissapared and other places like cheap thrills are shadows of their former selves. Bins are stuffed with pure chud and the places that do feature "collector" vinyl like aux 33 tours are asking silly prices: who is going to walk in there and drop 90 bucks on a second pressing of art Blakey big beat? Or the $140 Marius cultier?

33 tours prices disgust me,
    but he has his loyal customer base
    the same that buy 70$ reissues so that's your answer

Montreal Memories

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    you forgot this

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you need to get your priorities straight, cop beer!!!! Quebec micros are off the hook.

Trou Du Diable
    Dieu Du Ciel
    Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Then take a ride on a bixi and eat at Le Comptoir.

• If we're gonna go there, then these are the reasons to visit Montreal:

1) ladies
    2) food
    875) records

:D

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    there are about to be plenty more records in mtl for a short time