Busted! Damn Toll Plaza Cameras!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Hey,I just received a $25 ticket from the New Jersey Dept. of Transportation for failing to go through the toll plaza on the Garden State Parkway. Man, those plazas can be confusing to access given the strange highway designs here. Funny thing is I can't say "it wasn't me" as they have a crystal clear picture of my NJ license plate on the ticket. Has this ever happened to anyone or am I an idiot?Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Hey,

I just received a $25 ticket from the New Jersey Dept. of Transportation for failing to go through the toll plaza on the Garden State Parkway. Man, those plazas can be confusing to access given the strange highway designs here. Funny thing is I can't say "it wasn't me" as they have a crystal clear picture of my NJ license plate on the ticket. Has this ever happened to anyone or am I an idiot?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

yeah man i got nailed twice on the parkway a few months ago. And whats real messed up is Im positive I paid both the tolls. Trying to charge me $100 for two 75 cent tolls or some shit.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I've never had a problem with tolls but cameras catching me going through a red light once was hell. So the cops were behind me as I was following behind a big dump truck. My view was blocked because of the damn truck so all of sudden in the review there is MR.Boy In Blue. He' issues me my ticket and two weeks later I receive another ticket in the mail for the same traffic citation. So, I find out the camera on the traffic light pole took a picture of my license plate as well. So, I received two tickets for the same damn violation. Later on things were cleared up when I went to court and told the judge. But, I was affraid I would have to pay twice for one violation that was a 100 dollar citation.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I got hit by a red light camera in West Hollywood. Clear photo of my plates and my face along with the time sync of the lights. Set me back $375. Needless to say I don't risk it anymore. With the price of gas, I accelerate as little as possible and coast to the lights.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Aw youre not alone, this still happens to everybody here. They play with fire to the detriment of those commuting(something like a majority of all highway accidents in NJ occur within a half mile of toll plazas)and they toy with your mind shifting it up and making the cash customers play musical chairs at each plaza.
    For the Parkway, once you get adept you can master a fake little toss motion the Union natives will show you- while getting behind another driver and zipping in real quick, get it down and they'll never catch you!

When they even get that plate picture sometimes they still f'd up. Last time they got me, I waited till the last day to pay online and my # didn't work for apparently they knew it was a mixup amd all they wanted was a check for .75 cents sent to them.
    I think they had a cash lane open where the automation had initiated collection for ezpass or something along those lines. I only remember going through and there being nobody/no bucket,
    Only wish I had the same luck/influence over paypal lol.

When ezpass 1st came out they couldn't get any of that shit straight, at one point it got so bad they forgave everyones debts in a historical moment. A gesture of common sense and gratitude long extinct in these parts!

i'll take the burnpike instead but you can't use the trick there, lol

I love how they say NO PENNIES too, as if they were NOT the last industry in existence where the payments fell in a monetary range so low that pennies might find a use, they gotta make you feel poor for using them in the only place theyre applicable outside of making change. Yet they'd still write up a warrant for your arrest if you don't send them a check written out for $0.75.......

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hey,

I just received a $25 ticket from the New Jersey Dept. of Transportation for failing to go through the toll plaza on the Garden State Parkway. Man, those plazas can be confusing to access given the strange highway designs here. Funny thing is I can't say "it wasn't me" as they have a crystal clear picture of my NJ license plate on the ticket. Has this ever happened to anyone or am I an idiot?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I got caught once, but it really was bullshit. I paid the toll, but I took off before the tollbooth guy actually punched the button to say that I had paid. I had no receipt, obviously, and the picture was a crystal-clear shot of my license plate, so I had no way to argue against it.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I got hit by a red light camera in West Hollywood. Clear photo of my plates and my face along with the time sync of the lights. Set me back $375. Needless to say I don't risk it anymore. With the price of gas, I accelerate as little as possible and coast to the lights.

A couple years ago I was sure I had got one, I knew it was like $250.00 or something which was stressful. It never came thank goodness but Someone I worked with told me how he got the ticket with the picture in the mail and fought it.

He went and got a new I.D. (cost him $22 dollars) and wore a different hairstyle and glasses in the picture. He went to the judge to contest it looking as he did on his new I.D. He convinced the judge that it was his room mate driving his car and there was no way possible that it was him in the picture. He got the fine dropped and it only cost him the price of having a new I.D. made.

I have tried to be more careful, but in the rare case that I think I'm going to hit one it becomes automatic to put my hand in front of my face, as if I'm sneezing or something, it probably looks more like a paparazzi block, but I'm pretty sure it works.

• street_muzik said:

I think I may have been caught by one of these cameras just now! Has this happened to anyone recently? About how long until the ticket arrives? Has anyone had any success disputing one of these? The light was yellow when I entered the intersection, but maybe about 2/3rds of the way through it turned red.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I received a $75 ticket in the mail yesterday for going through a yellow light the morning of June, 19th......photo of my vehicle on the ticket......there is a product on the market for just these types of things called Photostopper.

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoStopper-Photo-License-Plate-Spray/dp/B000EDKTYU

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Ticket for going through a yellow light? I thought yellow meant hurry through before it turns red.

HarveyCanal said:
    Ticket for going through a yellow light? I thought yellow meant hurry through before it turns red.

As soon as the light turns red the cameras go off and if you're in the intersection....BUSTED!

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    I received a $75 ticket in the mail yesterday for going through a yellow light the morning of June, 19th......photo of my vehicle on the ticket......there is a product on the market for just these types of things called Photostopper.

They tested a bunch of these things on Mythbusters and none of them work.

• Rockadelic said:

Oh man! Through a yellow light?!?! I am definitely in trouble then.

Rock - did you read the reviews of that spray? This one guy is hilarious!
    "Since the application and installation I have received 6 tickets in the mail with super glossy crystal clear pictures of my license plate."

6 tickets?! Ha-ha. I hope he didn't go through those red lights for the sole purpose of testing out that spray!

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

As soon as the light turns red the cameras go off and if you're in the intersection....BUSTED!

Hope I never get one of those because it would be the thing to make my head EXPLODE!

TheKindCromang said:
    Rockadelic said:

Oh man! Through a yellow light?!?! I am definitely in trouble then.

Rock - did you read the reviews of that spray? This one guy is hilarious!
    "Since the application and installation I have received 6 tickets in the mail with super glossy crystal clear pictures of my license plate."

6 tickets?! Ha-ha. I hope he didn't go through those red lights for the sole purpose of testing out that spray!

Sounds like this is the way to go then.........

http://www.wired.com/cars/energy/news/2005/06/67794

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i've gotten two speeding tickets in the mail via cameras. not only did the ticket have the picture of the license plate, it even had a URL i could go to where i could watch a 10 second video of me driving past the camera.

both times i was alone on a two-lane street, once i was going 30 in a 25 zone, the other 38 in a 35.

:hated_it:

A ticket for 38 in a 35?!?! Uuuuuugggghhhh!!!!!!!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I got one of these in NYC going north on Allen St crossing Houston as it turns into 1st Ave. Anyone who has gone through there knows it's a really wide intersection. I went through while the light was still green, but then a jerk in front of me proceeds to make a left turn from the far right lane, cutting me off. Of course he then froze in indecision in front of me and the light turned red and I saw the flash go off.

Sure enough I get a ticket in the mail a few weeks later with a picture of my license plate. I was pissed, but I paid it and forgot about it.

A couple of months later I'm reading the paper and there's an article saying that that camera had been removed because it gave out so many bogus tickets.:shut:

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    chrisflyer said:
    Rockadelic said:

is the PA license plate still blue with yellow lettering? just fade the blue real good so that its almost white and boom, yellow on white isnt visible at all.

i have an MD plate, so i have a 75 dollar bill for a red light camera. the worst is in DC where they have some speeding cameras BS where they triangulate your speed and shit. fuck traffic cameras

• pick up truck --->. tailgate down

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I got a bunch of tickets in the mail once, like 5 at once from 2 different states.

turned out my license plate had been stolen like a month and a half earlier and I hadn't even noticed.

now I check my plates more often.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    Here's some UK guys who simply torch the cameras

http://www.speedcam.co.uk

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    edulus said:
    chrisflyer said:
    Rockadelic said:

is the PA license plate still blue with yellow lettering? just fade the blue real good so that its almost white and boom, yellow on white isnt visible at all.

nope.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    The Man is looking for all sorts of ways to gain revenue. Thankfully, I have never gotten one of these tickets, but those cameras seem to create dangerous situations rather than prevent them: drivers slamming on breaks, hesitant "oh dear, what should I do?!?" types blocking the intersection, etc. "Safety", my ass. LA Weekly has been having a field day with this topic for the last year; more recently, this article....

http://www.laweekly.com/2011-06-16/news/jay-beeber-folk-hero-stops-l-a-s-red-light-cameras/