Toronto Record spots

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Just got into your fair city after a long absence and the city guide has been sort of helpful but am not really finding much interesting vinyl. Cosmo's had some cool things but the prices are verging on insulting. We did hit up the strut approved gandhis across the street for a killer roti and made the mistake of ordering extra spicy which is why I'm posting at 4am. My girl couldn't even eat half of hers on account of spice. Anyhow, if any knowledgeable attitudes could point me in the way of some of shops not in the guide. Feel free to pm if not wanting to blow up your spots. Also looking for folks who sell privately. Thanks

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I got to say Cosmos was a very positive experience for me, price and condition were very fair, but I am used to Australian prices I suppose. I also found some really cool stuff PLAY DE RECORD after talking to the guys there for a while (99% of what I purchased was from out the back)

• Also, would be cool to grab a pint with any strutters later in the week. Prolly going to see bootsy on sat if anyone is down for joining....

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    ouch - by "extremely spicey", i meant that you should be cautious about the spice level! apologies to you and your girl for the sore bellies.

come out east to queen east (leslieville) for records. start with breakfast at bonjour brioche (at De Grassi). don't worry - it's all french and buttery...no spice. then walk eastward. there's a value village (thirft with a record section), discovery, in the groove (both of which are kind of boring and have kind of difficult proprietors), and the real gem, ric's. ric's is in a basement, below a jewellery store, just east of carlaw - blink and you'll miss it. full of interesting records. prices are good to fair and the guy behind the counter (the skinny, longhair) is extremely nice and knowledgeable about what's in the shop. they recently consolidated their two shops, so there are also lots of cheap records lying around. ask him if the 50% sale is still on...i'm sure he'll give you a deal if you buy a few things.

there are plenty of clothes and furniture shops along this stretch too - just in case those things appeal to your girl!

there are plenty of great eats on the east end of leslieville for the end of your day. see: queen marhgharita pizza (authentic napoli pies), chick-n-joy (fried chicken), "the nose" (good italian), edward levesque (good home cooking). or, if you're really up for a walk, go past coxwell to the burger's pirest - the best burgers in the city, hands down.

hope some of that is helpful and makes up for the ghandi's experience!

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Try out Kops Records near queen and University. Pretty nice spot with friendly staff.

also try

rotate this - queen and niagara (ok shop with two other stores directly beside it now)
    Sonic boom - bathurst and bloor

• Cheers for the tips. I didn't catch the "extremely spicy" warning posted in city guide. Planning on heading nvm at the end of the week and have a mild one...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I play on Saturday night - 10 til 2 - 2.30ish in the College/Bathurst area.
    PM me for details if you are interested after your show.

• Thanks for the invite.can you pm the details? Noah

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I found some nice records at She Said Boom! last summer. Also got some good stuff at Cosmos. They'll definitely deal with you if you have a little stack.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Beatsoup said:
    Try out Kops Records near queen and University. Pretty nice spot with friendly staff.

seconded on Kops... good 45 selection...

• If you get out in the eastend an excellent record spot would be Century records on kingston rd.
    Very wacky owner but serious records if you got the time(as long as you don't mind dots inside your
    sleeve.)The guy prices his records by 5 dollars times how my dots he has put inside the sleeve
    eg.10 dots=50.00 bucks.Annoying as hell but you can find some gems.Dude is sitting on some serious
    grails in the basement. Always found something.Phone before you go as i haven't been in some while
    and not sure if still open.Hope that helps.

• Thanks for all the leads everybody!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Carribean Roti Palace and Pam's both serve a better roti imo.

There is another location of She Said Boom on Roncesvalles, so so...........your best bet if Cosmos' is too pricey is to head to ric's.

Tuneup on here sells privately, you should pm him.

Eat pho at Tien Thanh, eat thai at Sukhothai/Khao San Road, eat dim sum at Lai Wah Heen, eat wonton/beef brisket mein at Swatow, eat Goldin's smoked meat sandwich at Free Times Cafe, eat Japanese izakaya at Guu, eat at Black Hoof if you feel like dropping a bit more coin.

Drink beer at Bar Volo.

Use the Bixi bike system.

I think Cosmo is playing at the Drake on thursday.

http://www.thedrakehotel.ca/events/11395/cosmo-baker

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dude... that's Superpoaster territory. Hang with him and report back.

• im down for the drake thursday. canada day is friday so we've all got the next say off.

have a poke around st. lawrence market for the freshness in foods, and definitely hit up Mustachio's for the best italian sandwiches in the city while you're there.

i do most of my record shopping outside of the downtown area but ive definitely mined some gold at the places mentioned.

• anyone considering the cosmo show tonight??

• the_dL said:
    I got to say Cosmos was a very positive experience for me, price and condition were very fair, but I am used to Australian prices I suppose. I also found some really cool stuff PLAY DE RECORD after talking to the guys there for a while (99% of what I purchased was from out the back)
    I didn't realize there were 2 locations. Managed to connect with aki and he is Indeed the man. Hookups galore; it is the best record shop I have ever been to. So aki told me that he is acquiring a major jazz, funk, Latin raer collection (2 McNeil and miles amongst other goodies that will go on sale in aug so Toronto folks better start saving now.

• vintageinfants said:
    anyone considering the cosmo show tonight??

I have an event to attend. How about a Toronto soulstru meetuP for the bootsy Collins show and then check out ms bassie's night later on sat eve?

• i've got a couple things on the burner for saturday, being a long weekend and all, but that may take a bit of precedent.

i've been trying to make it to one of her gigs for years now.