The Spinners appreciation

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
the "best of" has been bumpin' in the deck of my whip for a few weeks nowIt ain't rareIt ain't "heavy"It ain't the hippest shit everBut those guys were fucking awesome,the "black sheep of motown" who didn't blow up until they signed with Atlantic.you really can't fuck with their vocals or song writingphilly representin' hard1.It's A Shame 2. I'll Be Around 3. How Could I Let You Get Away 4. Could It Be I'm Falling In Love 5. One Of A Kind (Love Affair) 6. Ghetto Child 7. Mighty Love-Pt. 18. I'm Coming Home9. Then Came You 10. Love Don't Love Nobody-Pt. 1 11. Living A Little, Laughing A Little 12. Sadie 13. They Just Can't Stop It The (Games People Play) 14. The Rubberband Man

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'll Be Around

This song is on some G.O.A.T. status.

The intro has given me chills every time I've
    heard it, for over 30 years now.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

It's a Shame

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I like their motown stuff (have a few of those 45s), but just have never been able to get with their Atlantic stuff, I have owned pretty much most to all of their Atlantic LPs over the years & haven't kept any of them. I still have a couple of Atlantic 45s, Rubberband Man & Could It be I'm Falling In Love. I have one of their late 70s/early 80s LPs in a pile to check out at some stage. But I guess they are just not my thing. Maybe I am missing something.....recomendations?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It's a Shame

For over 30 years now, huh?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yup, i'm 30 and 1 day old

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I'll Be Around is one of my favorite songs EVER

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I like their motown stuff (have a few of those 45s), but just have never been able to get with their Atlantic stuff, I have owned pretty much most to all of their Atlantic LPs over the years & haven't kept any of them.[/b] I still have a couple of Atlantic 45s, Rubberband Man & Could It be I'm Falling In Love. I have one of their late 70s/early 80s LPs in a pile to check out at some stage. But I guess they are just not my thing. Maybe I am missing something.....recomendations?[/b]

Well, you kinda answered your own question. How can we recommend something you already sold? Less'n you wanna buy 'em again?

Seriously, though...I don't have ALL of their Phillippe Wynne-era albums, but most of the ones I have I can recommend. Pick Of The Litter, New & Improved, their self-titled, and especially their live album are worth getting. Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow was their last album with Wynne and isn't very good; it sounds as if the best songs were all used up and these were the leftovers.

What I like about the Spinners from the Wynne era is how subliminal a lot of their stuff is..."One Of A Kind Love Affair" is so bouncy and happy-sounding that it was decades before it dawned on me that the narrator's lover just left him. On the other hand, "I'll Be Around" is so paranoid-sounding that it doesn't match the lyrics (which are generally positive). And even as a kid listening to the radio, I picked up on "Games People Play" right away, with it's trick ending (SPOILER ALERT:[/b] dude thinks he's been stood up, but in reality his date shows up late). Motown treated them like stepchildren, and the John Edwards "Working My Way Back To You" era (1977-present) doesn't really thrill me, but during the 1972-76 era, they could do no wrong.

Always thought it was funny that they had two lead singers who sounded exactly alike (Wynne and Bobbie ______ - I forget his last name). They're trading off on several of their hits, but I can't tell the difference. Wynne is slightly higher-pitched and does a lot of the adlibs, but apart from that, they do sound like the same person.

• jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
    Speaking of Phillippe, is any of his solo albums any good? I really dug his soulful voice when he was with the Spinners.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    jazzman21 said:
    Speaking of Phillippe, is any of his solo albums any good? I really dug his soulful voice when he was with the Spinners.

I have one single from his Cotillion album, plus a later single from the 80s on Sugarhill. Neither one of them are doing anything for me.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Kala,

I love the Spinners, especially the Phillippe Wynne era material on Atlantic (though the Motown stuff was great too). I have to say, "Could it Be I'm Falling in Love?" is my favorite jawn (with "I'll Be Around" as a close 2nd), soul for days!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Are we talking about these guys?