Options

Gay Marriage OK In New York

edited June 2011 in Strut Central
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/24/new-york-gay-marriage-bil_n_884439.html#s298055&title=US_Senator_Kirsten

Great news. Another dagger in the withered heart of movement conservatism.

It's nice to see that some Republicans came along for the ride this time. Maybe (at least in some states) the Republican Party is ready to grow up.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    new york is red hot. loving this

• Options
    Cosmo said:
    new york is red hot. loving this

Within ten minutes after the vote my wife got a call from an old friend in NY who was crying and laughing at the same time so much that she was hard to understand.

I'd ask, "What's the sane argument that this is a bad thing?", if I thought there was a sane argument to be had. But there isn't. I'll guess that similar laws will pass around the country within my lifetime except for in a few horrific holes of deep ignorance.

Looking forward to it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    alright!

now can i get get gay divorce court tv show pleez?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    that would most likely be very entertaining but unfortunately, despite "destroying the sanctity of marriage" and all that, gay marriages have much lower divorce rates than them heteros.

but on the bickering gay people tip, the best fight i ever seen was at 13th and locust in philly between two leather muscle dudes. shirts ripped off, body slams, heads pounded on pavement, haymakers connecting to jaws....shit was ridiculous. i was stopped at a light and i think i was there in my car through 4 lights until they ended the fight and hugged each other, sobbing loudly. it was epic. i couldnt believe they didnt knock each other unconscious

back to the original post...big day for everybody and its a wonderful sign that some republicans are coming around on the issue.

discrimination = :nagl:

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    that would most likely be very entertaining but unfortunately, despite "destroying the sanctity of marriage" and all that, gay marriages have much lower divorce rates than them heteros.

probably because its still new , and more special because it wasnt admitted before.. maybe..
    or because you can watch football on sunday with your partner without the nagging ha.

the sad thing thing about accepting one group of people , is that most likely another group gets excluded more.. seems like the hate must go somewhere..
    also they justify it by feeling open minded by opening up to a certain group of people, that they grant themselves some other hate instead..

humans..

anyway congrats to the NYG's.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Great news.

And as a famous comedian once said "I'm all for gay marriage. I think they've got just as much right to be as miserable as the rest of us".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

b/w

Jamal = wrong.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Hell no I aint. I know what Im talking about.

ill agree that there will always be an "outsider" for folks to project certian fears but im not too sure about the newest one will be excluded more. What does "more" mean?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    batmon said:
    ill agree that there will always be an "outsider" for folks to project certian fears but im not too sure about the newest one will be excluded more. What does "more" mean?

Thanks batmon for understanding, needed that..

I said more, because for some its kind of an excuse to project more hate on other "hated" people that are still ok to hate on by the masses (untill that one gets resolved in time..etc etc..)
    By opening up to a certain group they can feel like they have admitted and feel like a more open minded person, which at the same time gives fear of budging too much, so that gets compensized by excercising more hate on the group that is still not accepted by (their group's) majority..

Also some accept a group as an enfocement to their excuse of hating a specific group.
    for example:It already happens at a young age with kids.
    Lisa is in a group of 5 kids, she doesnt like two of them Jeff and Sam
    The other 4 kids get along somewhat , but one kid (one of the two she hates) is more excluded:Jeff.
    So what does lisa do? she "accepts" the other kid she dislikes; Sam, so she wont be the paria of the group by hating 2/5th of the group.. By including Sam, she can legitmize hating Jeff , and can express it out loud even, and try to totally exclude Jeff from the group, and she will have much more support now from the other members of the group.

Well its kinda weakly explained here, but I think you get it.

Its all psychology and having been through discrimination ever since i was a shorty.. you pick stuff up.

Gay marriage or a Black president doesnt make those people "accepted".

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    batmon said:
    Gay marriage or a Black president doesnt make those people "accepted".

also true.

• Jamal said:
    I know what Im talking about.

you're talking complete and utter bullshit in this thread.

lets celebrate and debate next week or somethin'.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Jamal said:
    I know what Im talking about.

you're talking complete and utter bullshit in this thread.

first: you can choose other words for saying what you want to say, have some respect.

And also, not understanding doesnt make it bullshit..dont get mad.

word @ batmon
    , im tired.. im off.

• Options
    Identify the troll in this thread and win a straw full of rancid crab meat.

• it's been legal for a great many years here in toronto/canada.

shockingly, the place hasn't degenerated into sodom & gomorrah.

i'm happy for this.

• Options
    vintageinfants said:
    it's been legal for a great many years here in toronto/canada.

shockingly, the place hasn't degenerated into sodom & gomorrah.

Though there is a cannibal on the Vancouver Canucks.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It's clear as mud but it covers the ground.

b/w

Don't celebrate, organize.

• NomoreGarciaparra said:

...says the creepy dude that has been banned from here about 4-5 times for trolling.

• Options
    crabmongerfunk said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:

...says the creepy dude that has been banned from here about 4-5 times for trolling.

Thanks for identifying yourself. Send me your address and I'll send you the straw.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    As a gay wedding officiant many times over, I salute you New York. Let Love Rule.

• As a gay it was crazy exciting to hear this Friday evening and see so many gayz and str8z in my life celebrate. I have many friends that have done nothing but focus on Marriage Equality NY, and all I can do is feel gratitude for all their work putting another notch in the belt for equality.

With that said, this is pretty much where I am at to which many of them said "too bad, dissagree, get over it...just be happy":

NY Times - Marriage Is a Mixed Blessing

^ Rights period VS. needing to get married for rights.

B/W

First time at NYC pride and hmmm on that shit (I will stick with PHL--way too many people).

• congrats to you and your friends!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I was in Oslo when I saw the headlines. I immediately called my sister, who has been with her wife for 22 years, yet have never been able to legally wed. Phone call cost me $150 but it's fully worth it.

The parade was out of control too. Like such a good feeling. Everyone I know is feeling so good right now. Me too.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    get em brova!!! big tip of th hat to your family.

is that a mikenmichelle shirt??

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nah it's Worn By. They do replicas of shirts that famous musicians have worn. This one was worn by Freddie Mercury.

http://www.wornby.co.uk/

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Nah it's Worn By. They do replicas of shirts that famous musicians have worn. This one was worn by Freddie Mercury.

http://www.wornby.co.uk/

That kind of attention to detail is so dope.

Kindly,
    parallax

• Options
    Uh oh....