Maurice Starr Appreciation Poast

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central

Post-Modern Soul

I ve recently been checkin out Starr's catalog. Dude had a serious run in the 80's.
He's never mentioned alongside the other 80's R&B producers. He had Black Radio on lock for long minute.

I need his Flaming Starr and Spacey Lady joints. Anyone have these joints?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Bitin'........???

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    dude was pretty big up here in Boston, obviously. I like New Edition and all but don't go that deep with his catalog of productions. I do see those 2 albums around sometimes and always under 10 bucks, so next time I'll grip for you.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

maybe its cuz i was in 8th grade when this masterpiece dropped, but by the time i was in high school i remember how quick mofos were to front on them like I NEVER LIKED THEM. and they received the ultimate late80s/early 90s kiss of death, the gay rumor mill.

i liked early new edition just as much as the next guy. but maurice starr new edition aint got shit on flytetyme new edition.

grandpa_shig said:

maybe its cuz i was in 8th grade when this masterpiece dropped, but by the time i was in high school i remember how quick mofos were to front on them like I NEVER LIKED THEM. and they received the ultimate late80s/early 90s kiss of death, the gay rumor mill.

i liked early new edition just as much as the next guy. but maurice starr new edition aint got shit on flytetyme new edition.

Please is my shit.

Hangin Tough gots some great Blue-Eyed R&B.
    Starr only did one album for New Edition and pretty much opened the boy band genre in the 80s.

I can only mess with NKTOBs Slow Jams.

Starr always keeps one foot in the "Old School".

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    I can only mess with NKTOBs Slow Jams.

Location up for grabs!

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    wish i had more time to write right now, got a lot on M. Starr, but for now cop this:

http://ugghnicewatch.com/2009/02/22/new-album-the-maurice-starr-collection/

"Jail Bait" is his big ticket item.

Also, can't talk about appreciating Maurice Starr without talking about his right-hand man Michael Jonzun/Johnson.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    batmon said:

Bitin'........???

He is an unabashed biter. Candy Girl ='s 80s version of Jackson 5 - ABC

frankie lymon

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

:face_melt:

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    He is indeed a biter...this track straight up rips off Instant Funk "I Got My Mind Made Up"...and yet it's dope