Solo piano recommendations

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
I brought my portable to work and i'm enjoying this right now.

If anybody has any favorites, I would love some names to look into... artists, albums or individual tracks. I'm open to all styles.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am writing my thesis to solo piano as we speak
    mal waldron,art tatum for jazz
    C??sar Camargo Mariano for brazilian
    for the rest check this thread
    http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35909

the satie's at the bottom are especially recommended and perfect for working
    for classical any by
    Claudio Arrau,Clifford Curzon,Wilhelm Backhaus,Wilhelm Kempff & Sviatoslav Richter are a good bet

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Any of the Jaki Byard solo piano records for Jazz, he was one of the few who was a master of all Jazz styles.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    that 3cd Andrew Hill box set on Mosaic Select.

Rishan said:

I don't think there's any solo piano on that set.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts

• Paul Bley - Open, To Love

Keith Jarrett - Radiance

• mr.brett said:
    I brought my portable to work

I used to bring my portable to my old job. It was the best! Thank you for reminding me. I've been hesitant at the new place (I'd stick out like a sore thumb) but I think it might be the only thing that's going to get me through....plus the "haven't listened to yet" stack at home is getting pretty big.

good solo piano record IMO (haven't written any thesis papers on the matter though!)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    If you can go to group records, I rate Hawes' At The Piano pretty high, too.
    (with Ray Brown and Shelly Manne)

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Any of the Jaki Byard solo piano records for Jazz, he was one of the few who was a master of all Jazz styles.

this dude. if he played on a kenny g record, it would be good.

another favorite is memphis slim. i got that folkways one where he just calls out dudes names and then freaks their styles.

oh yeah and the liszt etudes. some of those destroy.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I'm a big fan of James Booker III
    So many tracks to choose from... lot of them instrumental, but also with accompanied vocals. The YouTube clip is a lenghty ballad but you can search for uptempo New Orleans tunes as well.

Actually, i can't not mention these New Orleans piano players (Longhair and Toussaint), both released lot of solo piano tracks

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Rishan said:

I don't think there's any solo piano on that set.

ooops, my mistake, maybe there's not. i've not actually heard it. i might have read something about it and mislead myself. was just going by the fact that there are two 3cd box sets by him......

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

obvious, but an amazing album!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts

core Monk

LoopDreams said:

core Monk

On the Riverside two-fer of Mulligan Meets Monk (a record I don't care much for) there is a side-long solo version of 'Round Midnight where Monk works out his intro and then the entire tune. It's like you can hear his brain work as he tries different approaches and settles on certain things.

Normally this sort of thing bores me, but with Monk it's a rare glimpse into real genius at work.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    pcmr said:
    i am writing my thesis to solo piano as we speak
    mal waldron,art tatum for jazz
    C??sar Camargo Mariano for brazilian
    for the rest check this thread
    http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35909

the satie's at the bottom are especially recommended and perfect for working
    for classical any by
    Claudio Arrau,Clifford Curzon,Wilhelm Backhaus,Wilhelm Kempff & Sviatoslav Richter are a good bet

Great first response... thank you. I'm still working my way through the waxidermy thread.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I love that Stanley Cowell.

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    in the mid 80's Chris Abrahams put out an album of piano improvisations called 'Piano' (funnily enough) that had some good stuff on it.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    The first record that came to mind was this:

I found this so often on flea markets and sellers always pointed out how much they used to love this record and how they played it to death in their youthful days. I guess a whole generation of intellectual weed-smoking youth over here knows this record by heart.

Another one:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    disco_che said:
    The first record that came to mind was this:

I guess a whole generation of intellectual weed-smoking youth over here knows this record by heart.

funny i had a senegalese ethnomusicologist come visit my parents and he asked me to find this record for him

• LoopDreams said:

core Monk

I ride for this record until the wheels fall off. Pure bliss with no additives.