Harder Than Nails - new Afro 45s mix

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
My main man in Ghana, Dankyi-Appah Safo Kennedy aka Ken has lately been spending some time exploring Northern Nigeria. After I got to talk to Albert Jones from the Freedom Family and Geraldo Pino's Heartbeats about the scene in Kano and Kaduna back in the 1970s, I was certain that there had to be records up there. This turned out to be true as Ken just express-mailed me an amazing box of 45s. Of course I couldn't resist but throw together a quick mix using some of these gems... a few boxes with LPs should arrive in a few weeks from now and once they get here, I'm sure another mix will follow shortly.

I'm not listing all tracks. Sorry for being so squirelly but I'm in the process of sourcing some of these tunes for possible re-issue and I don't want people chopping up my mixes and re-posting these tracks individually on YouTube or on one of those lame torrent sites...

http://traffic.libsyn.com/voodoofunk/KensChoice.mp3

00:00 Artist Unknown

03:03 Stoneface & Life Everlasting -Agawalam Mba

05:55 Segun Bucknor -Baby Get Your Thing

09:17 Artist Unknown

12:17 Artist Unknown

15:12 The Funkees -Onye Mmyaa

21:05 Geraldo Pino & The Heartbeats -Shake Hands (45 Version)

29:04 Tony Grey & The Zeinians -Do Your Thing

32:00 Artist Unknown

34:45 Showboy Eric Akaeze -I Will Tell Mama

40:43 Orchestre V??v?? -Talali Talala

44:48 Joni Haastrup & Monomono -Water Pass Gari (Or Gari Pass Water)

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    This looks awesome, but I can't get the link to work?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    This looks awesome, but I can't get the link to work?

Sorry... my mistake, the code didn't work. Let's try it the old fashioned way:
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/voodoofunk/KensChoice.mp3

• I believe the second track is by the Cookie Monster and Geraldo Pino Shake Hands different to the lp though ?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    francozola0 said:
    I believe the second track is by the Cookie Monster and Geraldo Pino Shake Hands different to the lp though ?
    Bingo!

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    thanks as always frank! the fourth track is a BURNER!

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts

this mix is so tite. Thanks Frank.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Thanks Frank, great stuff!

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    This is incredible! Thanks!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    thanks!!!!

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    bangin' mix!

• The one at 40:44 is ridiculous. And the next one, well, fuck me, fuck you, and fuck everyone. That's all I have to say about that.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    The one at 40:44 is ridiculous. And the next one, well, fuck me, fuck you, and fuck everyone. That's all I have to say about that.

The one at 40:44 is one of the two non-Nigerian tracks, Orchestre V??v?? "Talali Talala" and the next and last one is Monomono "Water Pass Gari (or Gari Pass Water)" Pt.1&2.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    thanks franks, awesome as usual,
    do you know if there was only the two monomono albums?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    the_dL said:
    thanks franks, awesome as usual,
    do you know if there was only the two monomono albums?

I only know "Give The Beggar A Chance" and "The Dawn Of Awareness" and a handful of 45s.
    I once read somethign about an EP but never seen it.

Joni Haastrup recorded an album between The Dawn Of Awareness and his solo LP on Afrodisia that never got released. No idea if he recorded it with/as Monomono. Apparently it recently got lost when he fell behind with payments on his storage unit, alongside all his other master tapes and various memorabilia...what a painful thought...

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    awesome sounds!!! thanks

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    awesome sounds!!! thanks... pissed doublepost...