The Return Of Amy Winehouse

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    shes such a mess. i know everyone loves to rag on amy but it really is some sad shit. such a waste of a great voice:

• still lovin' this bitch. no amount of bad press/incriminating videos are going to change that.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    >>>>

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    still lovin' this true artist. no amount of bad press/incriminating videos are going to change that.
    that!

hate publicity mass focussing on an a famous person, most destruction to that person comes from that,
    scary shit = masses people hating on or gossiping about a person.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    still lovin' this bitch. no amount of bad press/incriminating videos are going to change that.

I like her a lot, too. But I would have left the venue after one song with a performance like the one above. That's bullshitting yourself and your fans.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    She has a new line of clothing out with Fred Perry http://www.fredperry.com/women/amy-winehouse/ I wonder how much of it is actually her creation / input, but impressive if it is.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - English pop singer Amy Winehouse, whose promising career has been crippled by substance abuse problems, cut short a European tour on Sunday after fans in Belgrade jeered her shoddy opening-night performance.

Winehouse, 27, sporting her trademark bouffant hairdo and figure-hugging dress, struggled to perform her songs and keep her balance as her band gamely played on. On some tunes, the audience did most of the singing.

On other occasions, Winehouse lectured her bandmates, and anxiously clutched her arms. She appeared to be reading the lyrics from a teleprompter. The singer was headlining a Serbian festival, whose lineup included techno singer Moby.

A representative said upcoming festival dates in Istanbul on Monday and in Athens on Wednesday would be canceled. Her next show is scheduled for July 8 in Spain.

"Despite feeling sure that she wanted to fulfill these commitments, she has agreed with management that she cannot perform to the best of her ability and will return home," a statement said. "She would like to apologize to fans expecting to see her at the shows but feels that this is the right thing to do."

Belgrade media and fans heaped abuse on her in the aftermath of the show. One fan, writing on Winehouse's website, described her as "another punkass junkie and lush."

Another took a more sympathetic view. "I was there, and it was (a) sad thing to watch. Shame on her management, to allow her on stage in that state. She's not to blame -- she needs help."

Winehouse has been getting help for years as she struggled with addiction. She rose to mainstream fame in 2006 with the hit single "Rehab," and won four Grammys awards in 2008 including best new artist and album of the year. She was unable to attend the ceremony in Los Angeles because of legal problems, and she is yet to release a follow-up recording.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

She needs to take some serious time out and get some proper help.

That shit was annoying/upsetting/frustrating/saddening to watch.

• Okem said:
    She has a new line of clothing out with Fred Perry http://www.fredperry.com/women/amy-winehouse/ I wonder how much of it is actually her creation / input, but impressive if it is.

a friend of mine is the chief designer for a celebrity's clothing line.

in 3 years they've spoken under 10 words.

i dont think she's designing kimono's when she cant remember the songs she wrote.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Jamal said:
    vintageinfants said:
    still lovin' this true artist. no amount of bad press/incriminating videos are going to change that.
    that!

hate publicity mass focussing on an a famous person, most destruction to that person comes from that,
    scary shit = masses people hating on or gossiping about a person.

So she can stagger around and fall down on stage in front of thousands of people (over and over again, year after year) and nobody is suppose to notice or comment on that?

Please.

She's a talented person who many people love and she could well be dead soon.

Ignoring people and looking the other way as they self-destruct is far scarier.

She's a talented person

I'm hoping someday we'll see a return to this:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop!

• Options
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    She's a talented person

I'm not seeing the appeal. She's every bit as annoying as Ani DiFranco.

• She was the headliner who most people shelled out 10% of their monthly earnings TO SEE. That's not "gossip", that's about as public (and sad) as a professional mess could get.

I do think she fared better after the intro and first cover song. I didn't hear any booing in the Youtubes either.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It amazes me that people listened past the first song.
    I couldn't make it through the first song.
    Depressing, disgusting and sounding awful.

Apparently some people like it enough to listen to the whole 15+ min posted here.

I did like Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop, good band.

• LaserWolf said:
    Apparently some people like it enough to listen to the whole 15+ min posted here.

I was interested to see how the show went and how she would recall lyrics that she penned herself and performed many times before. Can't say I "liked" it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    let it go dudes.
    she has entered the lauryn hill zone.
    goofy ass fans that cant see that the product is past its expiration date.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Okem said:

a friend of mine is the chief designer for a celebrity's clothing line.

in 3 years they've spoken under 10 words.

i dont think she's designing kimono's when she cant remember the songs she wrote.
    Would've been my guess too. Or maybe she's one of those highly functioning drug addicts, getting mad shit done at twice the speed of normal people. ALthough she looks to be way passed that period, she already got that crackwhore waddle down and everthang.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    A bag of bones and hair, held together by tattoos

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    let it go dudes.
    she has entered the lauryn hill zone.
    goofy ass fans that cant see that the product is past its expiration date.

^^^This^^^

b/w

The very thing that allows some people to be artistically talented is the same thing that leads them to be self-destructive. You can't separate the two and not everyone can be "saved".

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    She's a talented person

Not be negative, and definitely not to take away from the love her fans have for her, but this is borderline unbearable. I would say there must be better representations of her pre-hotmess life, but I'm just going to file it under really not understanding her appeal.

bassie said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    She's a talented person

Not be negative, and definitely not to take away from the love her fans have for her, but this is borderline unbearable. I would say there must be better representations of her pre-hotmess life, but I'm just going to file it under really not understanding her appeal.

Granted, there definitely are, but I found her basic ability to multi-task surprisingly refreshing in this video.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Watched a clip of her performing at Glastonbury in 2007 on the telly last night. Was wondering what happened to her, looks like not much has changed. Hopefully she doesn't end of up killing herself. Still needs more bacon:

• Options
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    bassie said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    She's a talented person

Granted, there definitely are, but I found her basic ability to multi-task surprisingly refreshing in this video.

Playing badly, singing badly and making terrible faces all at the same time IS a talent of sorts, I guess.