ATCQ doc download

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    not including large proffesor for at least a minute was a mistake imo.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    large pro was in there, I guess not very long, but he was in there and also in the credits.

I was kidding about lupe fiasco, if that wasn't obvious.

I liked seeing De La in there. I've always been a bigger De La fan, but it's close. Anyways, they seem like nice dudes. I've never met them, so maybe not, but I think I'd rather hang out with them than Tribe. I also like that a dude's rap name (I know it's not his original rap name) is Dave.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i'll have to rewatch. didn't catch large pro. i met de la once and mase was cool and the other two were aloof at the time.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Good watch. Hoping for massive amounts of DVD extras because I'm sure all those people in the end credits had something interesting to say. It has to be tough though, interviewing all those people and then cutting it down to a 1 and a half hour movie. Often it's probably best to cut people completely and save it for extras, rather than have too many people pop up, say one thing, and then never be seen again (like Bobbito did here).

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    Good watch. Hoping for massive amounts of DVD extras because I'm sure all those people in the end credits had something interesting to say. It has to be tough though, interviewing all those people and then cutting it down to a 1 and a half hour movie. Often it's probably best to cut people completely and save it for extras, rather than have too many people pop up, say one thing, and then never be seen again (like Bobbito did here).

Yeah, the Rapaport interview goes into that. E.g. leaving out Consequence and Dilla almost completely--wise choice, IMO.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    Mjukis said:

Yeah, the Rapaport interview goes into that. E.g. leaving out Consequence and Dilla almost completely--wise choice, IMO.

Here's hoping for some Dante Ross stories for DVD extras. "I am Dante Ross. I be Dante Ross."

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    it's a real pain in the a** to try to get this shit via http with my shitty connection
    where da torrentz at ?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    with that link, you can open all 5 parts in different tabs/windows and download them at the same time... took me 15 minutes all up...

• Controller_7 said:
    Do you think Q-Tip is homophobic or it's just part of his vocabulary and way of speak. He's got a line in there were he says something like "that's some faggoty shit." When I heard that line it made me think of his comments in that Complex Magazine article on the making of The Infamous. Lots of references to sausages and sausage party. I can't imagine he's really homophobic, but who knows. Kind of seems like he'd be a little more in-tuned and not saying "faggoty" in 2010.
    I'm not surprised after these two things that hit the Internet in 2008:

Tribe were saying much worse in 1991 when they recorded "Georgie Porgie" with Brand Nubian.
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/91689905176c679f/

Don't forget Pharrell's story about Busta Rhymes and Q-Tip talking about Afrika Baby Bam (Jungle Brothers).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UlcSG2oHrU#t=0m56s

Keep in mind people can change and context is very important. Busta is definitely homophobic. I'm surprised he wasn't seen in the documentary more, even though LONS was mentioned as part of the Native Tongues collective. Busta has said he wanted to be in ATCQ.

• CinisterCee said:
    Controller_7 said:
    Do you think Q-Tip is homophobic or it's just part of his vocabulary and way of speak. He's got a line in there were he says something like "that's some faggoty shit." When I heard that line it made me think of his comments in that Complex Magazine article on the making of The Infamous. Lots of references to sausages and sausage party. I can't imagine he's really homophobic, but who knows. Kind of seems like he'd be a little more in-tuned and not saying "faggoty" in 2010.

having been romantically linked to nicole kidman, lifetime achievement award winner in the field of bearding, those comments could be considered "taking back" the term. [read also: the n-word]

• ktcktc 10 Posts
    Soul Strut, coming thru with the win! Gonna watch it 2night and give my 2cents.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I feel like tip is the hype man trying to push everyone in that hip-hop way to be better and phife is on some I have a disease thing. Sorry, I don't feel sorry for dude. Maybe, he needs to be more humble and realize its more than just him. Jerobi is the homie either way.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    my first hip hop heart break Main Source, second EPMD - third ATCQ

• ktcktc 10 Posts
    Was dope! I think all GREAT bands will have their internal battles, its what happens when you have GENIUSES working together. Consequence is nice, but he shouldn't of been on any of Tribes albums! only as a guest even that is pushing it. Q-tip & Phife is all you need.

i would love to see a whole NATIVE TONGUE - Documentary. From JB's to DeLa to Tribe to Black Sheep to LONS to Chi Ali x Monie.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    They didn't make much from the records so I hope they get some $ from the movie - going by this thread probably not.

• Murdock said:
    I feel like tip is the hype man trying to push everyone in that hip-hop way to be better and phife is on some I have a disease thing. Sorry, I don't feel sorry for dude.

you also may want to do some research on what a hype man is.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    nicole kidman, lifetime achievement award winner in the field of bearding

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    They didn't make much from the records .

rrrrreally? thats sad if true. Surely those sold enormous amounts? how bad could their contracts be? i can think of other best selling groups which managed to sort out their cash flow retrospectively in court, why not ATCQ? genuinely interested.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    i mean just for the sake of argument -

1990: People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm - gold
    1991: The Low End Theory - platinum
    1993: Midnight Marauders - platinum
    1996: Beats, Rhymes and Life - platinum

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Just finished watching it. Nice.

I know Q-Tip is somewhat of a control freak and perfectionist (as are a lot of artists), but in spite of that he also seems understanding.

I don't have much context to base this assumption on, but from what I saw, Phife did seem to act up like a spoiled brat in that 08 footage with the 'I'm not talking to you' BS 5 minutes before they're due to go on.

I can appreciate the stress that his diabetes was putting him under, but he could have just discussed whatever his beef or misunderstanding was like an adult instead of throwing a hissy fit.

It seemed like Phife was acting like the kid, and Q-Tip had his head screwed on.

I would be severely put off touring with someone who suddenly acts up based on jumping to a conclusion without first trying to resolve or discuss the misunderstanding.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Jarobi is my favorite tribe member now.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I got the feeling that if Jarobi had stuck around, he could have worked as a nice mediator between Phife and Tip

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Yeah, enjoyed him in the doc.

Instead of writing it all out again. I'll just quote from the other thread we had.

DOR said:
    Overall I thought the doc was good. Tho I came away feeling like both Phife and Tip were acting childish and seems like many of their issues could have been squashed if they just talked to each other like men and told each other what exactly the issue or problem was. Instead of txt and not speaking or making little comments under their breath while going days, weeks, etc without speaking to one another in person face to face.

Felt bad for Ali always being in the middle.

Had very little idea about Jarobi... Good to actually get a sense of what the guy was about.

Murdock said:
    What's he all about?

DOR said:

From the doc you get a much better sense of his roll in tribe and why he left. His close friendship with Phife and most of all he's a pretty funny dude. Swears like a trucker. Just came across like someone you would want to have as a friend...

I'm not saying I know all about the guy now. Just that the doc does a good job of showing the thoughts and feelings about someone 99.9% of fans of tribe know nothing about. I found his parts of the doc 10 times more personal and to the heart than the other members IMO.

• Martin said:
    yeah both dudes seemed kinda lame as people, although not assholes like i was expecting. your "brother" is going in for a kidney transplant and you send a text message? fuck outta here.

I didn't see anything wrong with that, a text on the day of to wish him the best. It's the thought, no?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    Martin said:
    yeah both dudes seemed kinda lame as people, although not assholes like i was expecting. your "brother" is going in for a kidney transplant and you send a text message? fuck outta here.

I didn't see anything wrong with that, a text on the day of to wish him the best. It's the thought, no?

Maybe. But I can just imagine how much could have been squashed if Tip would have walked in the door not saying anything about problems, tribe or whatever. Just been there for his friend.

Don't get me wrong. IMO, both those guys are to blame equally for their friendship going south like that (Tho, just on that doc alone it seems like to me Tip was always trying a bit harder to keep tribe together).

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting! I could be wrong, but I doubt it'll be playing here when it's released.