edited June 2011 in Strut Central
making up for my rick roll

Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels Of A Tribe Called Quest
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IJDVH1CS

enjoy..

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks!

• thanks for the link, enjoyed the flic. its much better than expected (rappaport r).

the level of passive aggression between phife and q-tip is off the charts.

• Thank you, I had a bunk torrent link before.

• the stark isn't blurred.

• OH, and good lookin' out on this download.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    nice

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Like Button

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    that was thoroughly entertaining

• Watched Tupac Resurrection last night with my boy, now tonight seeing this. This is a very very informative documentary! Really good archived footage, and the new music (by Madlib) and animations worked very well. I saw that the foundation of the "Quest" friendships still tends to play out in the roles and behavior of each individual, IMO. That's family, man.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Like Button

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    thx!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    as a huge fan of tribe since back in the day, this is really good.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    gone already. Anyone got a new link?

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Very nice. From the fan perspective, I don't think it could've been done much better. Rapaport did his thing. Nice soundtrack, too.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Jamal please pm me a link when you have a functioning one

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    FUCK!!

Gone already.

Who the fuck jumps on this so fast.

Anyone got another, I can't wait to see this schitt.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    there's torrents out there... google it, i just downloaded it...

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Cosign, I'll take a link pm too please. Would be much appreciated.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    I will upload for you guys, if yall would give me a site where i can upload it to.. its a 900 mb file, and just tried some sites, but they acquire pro-memberness..

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    rapidshare has since changed its policy..unrestricted filesize/downloadspeed for free users..might be worth an upload

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Thanx Jamal downloaded it yesterday

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Martin said:
    was anyone else thoroughly confused as to why Q-Tip had such a problem with this coming out? i didn't think anyone came off poorly.

also the dvd better have 3 hours of commentary on the making of the music, jay dee backlash etc

I think Q Tip had an issue w/ how he felt either Rapport or his people treated ATCQ I forget the exact details but the movie is dope.

• Martin said:
    was anyone else thoroughly confused as to why Q-Tip had such a problem with this coming out? i didn't think anyone came off poorly.

Okay, SPOILERS!

If you watched the film, you shouldn't be confused. Regarding the recording process, Phife said Q-Tip was a control freak. Q-Tip was also described as a "perfectionist" that the manager had to TAKE the Low End Theory master from or Tip would have worked on it forever "like Dr. Dre" (as if we needed that example when we've seen Kamaal do this first-hand with the gaps between his solo projects). Those types of creative people are verrry picky about what gets released, so I was not surprised Q-Tip would get cold feet about this documentary being released.

• i think tip doesn't come off particularly badly (or even badly at all) but he comes across as the antagonist for sure. the movie makes it clear that q-tip unilaterally broke up the group and that he could be bullying towards phife.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    i think tip doesn't come off particularly badly (or even badly at all) but he comes across as the antagonist for sure. the movie makes it clear that q-tip unilaterally broke up the group and that he could be bullying towards phife.

I could see it that way too but when I watched it, it was like Phife was the antagonist to the group.

As for dissolving the group in 1998, it sounds like the chemistry was gone after Phife bounced to Atlanta in late '93. They stretched that out for 2 more albums, with The Love Movement being painful. Ali said he was relieved when Q-Tip broke it up! Just sounds like another thing Phife would have never exercised the role to step up and address, and gets to put blame on Q-Tip because he acted on it. Phife didn't sound like he felt responsible for any of it, which got under my skin too.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Martin said:

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/04/interview-michael-rapaport-addresses-a-tribe-called-quests-grievances-and-the-infamous-e-mail

Michael Rapaport talks about the issues Tribe Called Quest had with the documentary in the interview linked above. I'd be curious to hear TCQ's side of the story as well.

enjoyable movie. Well put together and some good insight. I never thought about Prince Paul not being on the cover of Midnight Marauders. I also thought it was interesting to see all of the groups that were technically considered part of Native Tongues.

Two questions:

Have you ever been to a Tribe show? And if so, did you enjoy it. I saw them at the first Tibetan Freedom Festival in SF and I don't remember much of it. I think it was definitely the wrong venue for me to appreciate it. The reason I ask is, all of the clips of the live performances, even old ones, are terribly annoying to me in the movie. Tip's voice is so smooth on all of the records and he's yelling and changing up the rhyme structure in all of the live clips. I can't get with all of that yelling.

Do you think Q-Tip is homophobic or it's just part of his vocabulary and way of speak. He's got a line in there were he says something like "that's some faggoty shit." When I heard that line it made me think of his comments in that Complex Magazine article on the making of The Infamous. Lots of references to sausages and sausage party. I can't imagine he's really homophobic, but who knows. Kind of seems like he'd be a little more in-tuned and not saying "faggoty" in 2010.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Do you think Q-Tip is homophobic or it's just part of his vocabulary and way of speak. He's got a line in there were he says something like "that's some faggoty shit." When I heard that line it made me think of his comments in that Complex Magazine article on the making of The Infamous. Lots of references to sausages and sausage party. I can't imagine he's really homophobic, but who knows. Kind of seems like he'd be a little more in-tuned and not saying "faggoty" in 2010.

I've heard plenty rumors that's he gay. You know how rumors are though.

I think those rumors are based on him being sort of soft spoken and talking in that kind of weird whisper warbled lispy thingy he does sometimes, like when he was on the Chappelle show. Maybe he is. I don't really care. I would hope that at his age and as free as he's been in expressing himself, that he's not some repressed homosexual who goes around lashing out hate words because he hates himself. Even if he's not gay, I imagine he's friends with plenty of people who are. I don't mean to derail this thread, I just thought it was odd.

Back to the movie. Rappaport's biggest flaw was not lining up Lupe Fiasco for an interview.