Biggest drop off from one album to the next

2»

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    mrmatthew said:
    Even though i like both alot, I honestly prefer Sandinista to London Calling. Anyone else?

Whoa. I am very interested to see if anyone agrees with you.

I guess its a personal thing. I had the double tape of Sandinista growing up in my teens and wore that thing out. I only got into London Calling in college and it doesnt hold the same place in my heart i guess.
    I am well aware that LC is genreally consdered the classic and that Sandinista is generally considered an overly- bloated disappointement.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I thought Brownsville Station just had the one 45.
    I had no idea they had fans.

Hell, I'd put "Smokin' In The Boys' Room" right up there with "1969," "Kick Out The Jams," "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man," "Devil With A Blue Dress On & Good Golly Miss Molly," and "Maggot Brain" as far as classic Motor City rock & roll goes.

I should mention that neither of the albums I listed had "Smokin'" on them.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Grope said:
    pickwick33 said:
    RAJ said:
    This

To This

Raj, Outlaw actually came out before Headless Horsemen, not after.

:sonned:

This is why we have resident experts!

:crazy:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    mrmatthew said:
    Even though i like both alot, I honestly prefer Sandinista to London Calling. Anyone else?

Whoa. I am very interested to see if anyone agrees with you.

I would much rather listen to Sandinista. LC is a fine record, but I just enjoy the range displayed on Sandinista, even the failed experiments are interesting IMO.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The most egregious Clash falloff is from:

to

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    batmon said:
    Off The Wall..............

....Thriller

I will be at the Stone Rose on central park tonight for a limited engagement. Please come by so I can kick your ass for that.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    I guess its a personal thing. I had the double tape of Sandinista growing up in my teens and wore that thing out. I only got into London Calling in college and it doesnt hold the same place in my heart i guess.
    I am well aware that LC is genreally consdered the classic and that Sandinista is generally considered an overly- bloated disappointement.

same here, I got the Sandinista double cassette when I was 14 - got London Calling later & it just seemed like a regular ol' rock album in comparison. I guess I've always been partial to overlong messes with pointless dub versions

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    I guess I've always been partial to overlong messes with pointless dub versions

this explains the things i enjoy about sandinista.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    overlong messes with pointless dub versions

with succinct moments of timeless significance

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts

to

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Kadink said:

to

My War is genius... a real line in the sand. I can only imagine the impact it must of have at the time, pissing off the shaved head conformist hardcore meatheads. "nothing left inside" is brutal. My fave black flag LP.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Like several others who have posted I also had the double cassette of Sandinista when I was 14 years old or so and I have a longstanding affection as a result. Could it be that the album was better in the double cassette format than broken down into three records? At that age I was interested in music that was intentionally obscure and required a certain amount of commitment from the listener so Sandinista pushed the right buttons.
    I thought then (as I do now) that the Clash had a tendency to fall into rock cliche's (songs like Four Horsemen, English Civil War) but I loved them for their willingness to veer off course into any kind of music or style they found interesting. I would not place Sandinista ahead of London Calling for Clash albums, but certainly ahead of Give 'Em Enough Rope and Cut The Crap (which shouldn't really count as a real Clash album anyway.)

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    and since I am exposing potentially embarrassing musical tastes of my youth:

something went horribly wrong between

and

• Options
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Kadink said:

to

My War is genius... a real line in the sand. I can only imagine the impact it must of have at the time, pissing off the shaved head conformist hardcore meatheads. "nothing left inside" is brutal. My fave black flag LP.

You're right. And especially right about how the album was received at the time. I wasn't a skinhead or hardcore purist but I knew enough people who were and went to enough shows to know how HATED My War was by a big percentage of the true believers. A lot of the blame fell on Rollins and he got off on it and would give shit back to people who were screaming "Traitor" and "Fuck You" and "Ozzy" at him.

Of course a lot of people weren't happy with Damaged when it came out, either. There was always a lot of "You should have been there when they played their first show" nonsense in that "scene."

• probably going to get clonned for this but this album was a dorm room classique in 93-94. they seemed poised for a cypresshill-esque career (they were also doing the live band thing so maybe they could have been like a roots or whatever)

then this terd came out and everyone lost all interest in the group.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    keeping it current-poast-related:
    Gravediggaz
    Guns'n'Roses

kinda a "one-album wonder" category

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Guns'n'Roses

Has any band ever ridden one record further than these dudes?

Axl Rose = Most over-rated rocker ever.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    THE CEILING:

THE FLOOR:

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Snapping said:
    and since I am exposing potentially embarrassing musical tastes of my youth:

something went horribly wrong between

and

Thanks for putting yourself out there, and saving me the potential embarassment. I was thinking the same thing. That first Roses album was money, Every cut was a single. The next album..... :ehhx2: