Prog Recommendations Please

TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Hello Strutteurs. Really into these bands/albums right now:

Yes - Fragile
Genesis - Foxtrot
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Gentle Giant - Glass House

I know these are all pretty surface. What other bands/albums would you recommend along these lines?

Thanks in advance!

:tunes:

Comments

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Re: Genesis try Lamb Lies down on Broadway

Also recommend
    Aphrodities Child - 666 (Vangelis/Roussos)

• Yezda Urfa

You should probably check out Mars Volta on a new prog buzz

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    glass house? really?
    i'd go with earlier GG if anything.

yeah, this

well it is progressive

SS given

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    I have an OG of this. what a wierd and unique record??? but i'm not so sure i'd call it prog... i guess maybe.

the gatefold is amazing!

This one's not for everybody, but I love it:

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    does this count as prog?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Two I enjoy.
    Attached files

• Options
    barjesus said:
    This one's not for everybody, but I love it:

It's one of my all-time favorites, but is it really prog? It's a hard one to pin down and you'll see descriptions calling it "progressive folk-rock psych" and so on.

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    gaz said:
    Re: Genesis try Lamb Lies down on Broadway

Also recommend
    Aphrodities Child - 666 (Vangelis/Roussos)

I ride.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:

I just discovered them this weekend. I found and bought the Italian only remastered CD ('94), but this has been getting a lot of play in my car since then.

Electrode said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:

I just discovered them this weekend. I found and bought the Italian only remastered CD ('94), but this has been getting a lot of play in my car since then.

What is this?

• Options
    barjesus said:
    Electrode said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:

What is this?

It's another album by Il Balletto di Bronzo. I posted pics of their two classics.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts

• Embryo= Embryo's Rache & Surfin'

Gong= Angel's Egg, Magick Brother, & You

Tangerine Dream= Rubycon

Hawkwind= Warrior on the Edge of Time & Space Ritual

Caravan= In the Land of Grey and Pink & If I Could Do It All Over Again...

The Soft Machine= [the first four albums, III being their best]

Goblin= pretty much anything... Mostly, earlier is better.

If you're into Yes, might as well check out Relayer. Patrick Moraz replaces Wakeman; totally overlooked.

and, Andy Votel has a Prog Is Not a Four Letter Word comp... That's a great place to start, especially for international gems.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I recently dug up a copy of the Mainhorse S/T....pretty good. Anyone interested in newer prog should check out Yeti's LPs...brutal.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Close To The Edge by Yes - whatever you may think of their indulgences, and those of prog generally, they're playing their arses off on this record.
    Red by King Crimson - closer to metal than prog at times, but all the better for it, in my opinion. Starless is amazing.
    Music In A Doll's House by Family - supremely underrated British band.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    i think Yes-wise, Fragile wins. nothing Yes-related is as good as this though. so damn good. Chris was the bass player in Yes.

Gentle Giant - Octopus is the best GG i reckon, Caravan - in the land of the pink and grey is the best of theres (both already mentioned.)

the canterbury scene is worth investigating, so I'll throw this up.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Octopus is my favorite Gentle Giant lp as well, but I enjoy most of their catalog. People who like that playful side of prog should check out Supersister if they haven't already:

I'm no Italian prog expert, but alongside l Balletto di Bronzo -- Ys I would recommend Museo Rosenbach -- Zarathustra:

...and most early 70s Franco Battiato such as

• Totally forgot about Family, great band/album. Also, for more contemporary prog check out Spock's Beard-- V is definitely one of their best efforts. Mars Volta and Mew are considered contemp prog, but I'm not really much of a fan

• PatdBPatdB 2 Posts

When you remove Rick Wakeman from the mix and add in Patrick Moraz, you get a Yes more on the cosmic/mind-bending and less on the neo-classical wanking. Easily my favorite Yes record. So many dense layers on this one. The part on Gates of Delirium, where they come crashing into the end of the ???battle??? section???Chris Squire settles into his funkiest distorted Rick bassline (in 11/8!!) while Moraz plays the melody on the Moog a few times and then Steve Howe takes it over on lap steel through an echoplex???EPIC MINDMELT

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    on the Brazilian prog tip this is nice:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    i think Yes-wise, Fragile wins. nothing Yes-related is as good as this though. so damn good. Chris was the bass player in Yes.

Gentle Giant - Octopus is the best GG i reckon, Caravan - in the land of the pink and grey is the best of theres (both already mentioned.)

the canterbury scene is worth investigating, so I'll throw this up.

Speaking of Yes solo joints, Alan White's Ramshackle album has some nice funky moments, and a track from Steve Howe's Beginnings came up on shuffle the other day that I briefly mistook for Fleet Foxes...

• I'm percolating on a pretty massive prog mix. Love listening to Prog.

Artcane "Odysee" is one of my favorites.

PFM "Photos of Ghosts" is real nice.

Libra S/T on Motown is a weird and cheap one that is up and down as most prog LPs are.

October S/T is a great privately pressed American prog LP, though tough to track down.

That Osanna LP is amazing prog.

All the Le Orme shit I've heard is top notch. As well as Sensations Fix.