tell me about a 90s band: The Clique

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
just dug up a 45 which has a rather mediocre cover of "Save Me" on one side, but the flip "The Fish Down Gina's" sounds exactly like a bumpin' Decca-era Small Faces tune...they have it down on this one, Mariott's guitar tone, Ian's Hammond sound...love this side. Im thinkin I need to stick with their instro's...is this 45 a fluke or is there other good stuff from these guys?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    just dug up a 45 which has a rather mediocre cover of "Save Me" on one side, but the flip "The Fish Down Gina's" sounds exactly like a bumpin' Decca-era Small Faces tune...they have it down on this one, Mariott's guitar tone, Ian's Hammond sound...love this side. Im thinkin I need to stick with their instro's...is this 45 a fluke or is there other good stuff from these guys?

They were a UK mod revival act who were pretty active during the second wave of the acid jazz thing over here. They had a couple of albums, "Self Preservation Society" and "Vanbrugh Park", both on Detour, and a grip of singles; the one you copped, as well as "Bareback Donkey Riding", "Ground Ginger", "Hammond Street". "Reggie", "Hello Sunshine" and "Introducing The Clique"

More info here - http://www.detour-records.co.uk/drcd021.htm

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    thanks for the info...but are the other tunes as good as "The Fish.."?

• The B-side of Reggie is a souly-brass dance tune, there's tracks like Painting Pictures on the Self-preservation Society album. The 'tour' album Shout & Scream is worth a listen, as far as I remember...

oh, and btw, we were NOT a mod revival band, like say, Secret Affair or the Chords, (though we once did a gig in North London under the name the Jurassic Parkas - we all wore hats that night, for some reason).

our sound was freakbeat, psych, garage , plus a bit of RnB a la John Mayall - Crawlin Up A Hill (or rather falling off a Boat, the night Media Tycoon Robert Maxwell was drowned).

And who am I? I was the devastatingly handsome drummer (no, not the French one) - matthew, who served from 1992 (Hastings, the Crypt) til the end...