I found a racist sweater

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central

:racist:

I was going through some old stuff that I got when a family friend passed away. Going through what I brought home was a racist sweater and Soulstrut was the first thing that came to mind.

Not being a racist myself, I have no intention of wearing it. I don't want to own it either.

I don't want to just throw it out.

If I sell/trade it (not sure if it has any value anyway) would that be bad that I'd made a profit off of racist propaganda?

I don't normally come to the Strut for moral advice but this seemed IMO to have SS writen all over it.

What would SS do???

Comments

• Options
    Aw, come on, those were sold on the "Victory" tour.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My grandfather was a postcard collector and we sold off a lot of it recently years after he died. Out of a ton of various themed postcards (Halloween, Christmas, WWII, Presidential, Tourist, etc) some of the postcards were old timey racist ones and they sold well. Surprisingly (maybe not) most of customers appeared by their names to be black Americans (I know that sounds stupid, but most white families in America are not naming their kids Rashard and Tyrell). Just sell it, maybe someone will enjoy it in an ironic/taking it back fashion.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    If your planning on throwing it out.. I'd proudly rock it.

- spidey

• The_Non said:
    maybe someone will enjoy it in an ironic/taking it back fashion.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    you killed it on that photochop, put in the shoulder pads and errythang.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The_Non said:
    My grandfather was a postcard collector and we sold off a lot of it recently years after he died. Out of a ton of various themed postcards (Halloween, Christmas, WWII, Presidential, Tourist, etc) some of the postcards were old timey racist ones and they sold well. Surprisingly (maybe not) most of customers appeared by their names to be black Americans (I know that sounds stupid, but most white families in America are not naming their kids Rashard and Tyrell). Just sell it, maybe someone will enjoy it in an ironic/taking it back fashion.

Racist Memorabilia has a solid collector following.

I recall Whoopie Goldberg having a gang of prints, photos, and trinkets from the BITD w/ pickaninnies and shit.

My mom copped an Old School Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima advertisements to remember how far weve gone.

That sweater is wack but im sure someone will bite. It looks too modern.

http://www.go-star.com/antiquing/black_americana.htm

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You could sell it.. or start a new collection.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    The_Non said:
    maybe someone will enjoy it in an ironic/taking it back fashion.

HA!

Sorry Spidey I don't think it would fit you. It's like a child/chick size. I think someone might have dried it wrong and shrunk it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Ah... Yeah I wear about a medium in guys. Thanks though.. It is pretty fresh. Definitely don't trash it though. I probably have a friend back in Vegas who would be interested in copping it. My homie Chris from Fruition. I'll shoot him a picture.

- Diego

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Okem said:
    You could sell it.. or start a new collection.

What in the hell??

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    British people. Golliwogs. What's the hell indeed.

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    The_Non said:

For some reason the Robertsons Jam Co chose that as their mascot and people loved that shit, the factory was just round the corner from the house I grew up in. When the wind was right the whole town smelled like Strawberry Jam (Jelly), that was pretty great. There was a massive marketing thing with Golliwogs they did badges, soft toys, tea towels, everything. there wasn't the whole negative connotations that they had been connected with in certain children's books but it was still a bit wrong and they got retired late 80s early 90s, but people still love them things (Insert that Sinefeld picture here)

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    My dad lived in Tokyo from the mid 80's to early 90's and I went there to visit a number of times. For some reason 'Sambo' T-shirts were popular then and I saw them quite often.

One of them had three Sambo faces in a row and said "Panama Image Nice Summer Dreaming"

I was tempted to buy one as an artifact, but couldn't quite pull the trigger.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    striker said:
    The_Non said:

For some reason the Robertsons Jam Co chose that as their mascot and people loved that shit, the factory was just round the corner from the house I grew up in. When the wind was right the whole town smelled like Strawberry Jam (Jelly), that was pretty great. There was a massive marketing thing with Golliwogs they did badges, soft toys, tea towels, everything. there wasn't the whole negative connotations that they had been connected with in certain children's books but it was still a bit wrong and they got retired late 80s early 90s, but people still love them things (Insert that Sinefeld picture here)

You gotta google robertsons jam co if you want to see this guy.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    that sweater looks to be acrylic, itchy.