Little Richard appreciation post

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
don't think we have ever really discussed Mr. Penniman on here before. Dude is the greatest...kicks Jerry Lee's ass up and down floor. The King and Queen of Rock n Roll.

Comments

• Hell yes.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I saw the Reverend Richard Penniman preach once.
    He did 3 nights, free, one night he talked about the evil of drugs, an other the evil of sex/homosexuality and one night of the evils of rock and roll.
    Not sure which night I attended, he touched on all 3 topics and did a lot of rambling and told a lot of stories about sex, drugs and rock and roll.

His hair and dress and manner were very conservative.
    About half way through the local tv station stopped by to film a few minutes.
    As soon as they turned on the tv lights he goes "oooh honey, I look terrible in those lights, be sure to film my good side" Really queened it up for about a minute.

At the end of the evening they took up a collection to send his ministry to the Holy Land.

My favorite Little Richard moment was an award show.
    After MJ danced they talked to him in his seat. He said "Michael Jackson makes my little toe shoot straight up in my shoe". A truly great tv moment.

Anyway, I co-sign, a great original who had one of the best bands ever.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Shut up!"

• Options
    I just wish he hadn't thrown it all away by going Jesoid at his peak. I think he left a lot of great music unrecorded because he was fucked up by religion and repression.

Jerry Lee Lewis didn't match LR's highs but he made more good records.

I love this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/nov/28/john-waters-met-little-richard

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Little Richard is great.

E has a bias against JLL

Jerry Lee is great

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    Little Richard is great.

E has a bias against JLL

Jerry Lee is great

Worst fanboy avatar change EVER.

Jesus, you'd think your team had never won before or something.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Little Richard is incredible, pretty much right through to that funky early 70s stuff. A pretty good run.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Man is a genius, but it goes without saying.

Even though, as someone just said, he's the King (and Queen) of Rock & Roll, he could bring the soul when he wanted to.

I'm not the biggest fan of his OKeh records (which northern-soul types think is the highlight of his career), but on "Poor Dog" and especially "I Don't Want To Discuss It," Lord have mercy did he get it right. And fast forward to 1973, where he recorded a great deep soul 45 on the Green Mountain label, "In The Middle Of The Night."

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ^^^^^^
    yep, forgot about that one

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I saw the Reverend Richard Penniman preach once.
    He did 3 nights, free, one night he talked about the evil of drugs, an other the evil of sex/homosexuality and one night of the evils of rock and roll.
    Not sure which night I attended, he touched on all 3 topics and did a lot of rambling and told a lot of stories about sex, drugs and rock and roll.

His hair and dress and manner were very conservative.
    About half way through the local tv station stopped by to film a few minutes.
    As soon as they turned on the tv lights he goes "oooh honey, I look terrible in those lights, be sure to film my good side" Really queened it up for about a minute.

At the end of the evening they took up a collection to send his ministry to the Holy Land.

My favorite Little Richard moment was an award show.
    After MJ danced they talked to him in his seat. He said "Michael Jackson makes my little toe shoot straight up in my shoe". A truly great tv moment.

Anyway, I co-sign, a great original who had one of the best bands ever.

He uses the "big toe" line here too...which is a personal favourite LR moment