Little Rock Digging?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Whats good all, I'm in Arkansas for the next week or so for work and hoping to get some digging in here, Also I'll be in Atlanta the last week of June and would love to meet up with some strut cats out that way.

Anybody know any good spots in or around Little Rock?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Don't flip too fast in the shops in Little Rock, I heard they'll think you're on drugs.

• hey Guzzo,

got nothing for AK. I was just driving through Atlanta last week and stopped by Fantasyland for the first time. Crust central though I copped a box of good used books and comics. Came up real hard at a place called Circle Sky Records four years ago, not sure why I didn't just invest an extra hour to get to that side of town. shook by ATL traffic?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    We cleaned up on 45s at the Arkansas Record & CD Exchange when we were there & actually had a really pleasant digging experience. You gotta be on your game not to offend the owner though, luckily we had been forewarned, good luck.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    holmes said:
    Don't flip too fast in the shops in Little Rock, I heard they'll think you're on drugs.

holmes said:
    We cleaned up on 45s at the Arkansas Record & CD Exchange when we were there & actually had a really pleasant digging experience. You gotta be on your game not to offend the owner though, luckily we had been forewarned, good luck.

^^
    Both good pieces of advice.

Was really happy with my haul last time I went to Record Exchange. The dude kinda sniffs you out at first to prejudge your character and to make sure you're not violating any of his "policies" (he has about 15 different signs on the front door telling you how and how not to act and once you get past that you have to be granted permission to enter at the velvet rope... not kidding).

But after a couple hours of very SLOW and GENTLE digging he became our best friend and even offered us a few cold beers at checkout. Will do biz again A+++

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    All the talk about ARE is true....I failed the test....not once, not twice...BUT THREE TIMES!!

And I think I'm a pretty laid back easy going digger.

Rockadelic said:
    All the talk about ARE is true....I failed the test....not once, not twice...BUT THREE TIMES!!

Just what a fast flippin' drug takin' digger would say.

The_Non said:
    Rockadelic said:

Well the second time it was because he remembered selling me a 45 for $4.00 that he later saw sell for 100x that.

And the third time was because he remembered me as the guy he had kicked out twice before.

This was over a 15 year span.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The_Non said:
    Rockadelic said:

Well the second time it was because he remembered selling me a 45 for $4.00 that he later saw sell for 100x that.

And the third time was because he remembered me as the guy he had kicked out twice before.

This was over a 15 year span.

I only have 3 clean shirts left. One has Bootsy Collins on it, one has Luther Vandross, the other has A Tribe Called Quest. Should I go in there topless?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I also have a fine selection of sweated through white tees

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    I also have a fine selection of sweated through white tees

"no long jackets" is one of the first and largest rules on the front door

i think no backpacks or hats also from memory

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    If you show up with no jackets, checks, or backpacks you should be fine. You missed some really nice raers last month he picked up from a regional distributor for Stax records. You would have cleaned up in the 9.99 or buy 3 get 1 free. unfortunately those are gone, but he still has some nice titles out of that lot. Go between the hours of 4:00 and 7:00. It's a happy hour of sorts. If you're going to be tied up then, the store hours are from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Heard these dudes got all the rekids in the urrrly 90s:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Went to ARE today, great place only had an hour there but dude behind the counter was kind even offered me a beer

walked out with a couple records too

was pretty geeked about getting the promo JB's with the Love & Happiness Radio station call out track

Guzzo said:
    Went to ARE today, great place only had an hour there but dude behind the counter was kind even offered me a beer

was pretty geeked about getting the promo JB's with the Love & Happiness Radio station call out track

Glad you found some stuff. I found one of my promo copies there too. Wish you could have visited a month earlier. I stacked up big time.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Guzzo said:

Glad you found some stuff. I found one of my promo copies there too. Wish you could have visited a month earlier. I staxed up big time.

I saw what was left of the Stax collection, still some nice pieces in there (Ernie Hines, Sons of Truth, etc) would have bought some more if I had more scratch, there was a lot more to go through but not enough time. I think he said he was somewhat involved in the True Soul compilation too. Wish I was better with my 45 knowledge I coulda cleaned up

Guzzo said:
    stratasphere said:
    Guzzo said:

Glad you found some stuff. I found one of my promo copies there too. Wish you could have visited a month earlier. I staxed up big time.

I saw what was left of the Stax collection, still some nice pieces in there (Ernie Hines, Sons of Truth, etc) would have bought some more if I had more scratch, there was a lot more to go through but not enough time. I think he said he was somewhat involved in the True Soul compilation too. Wish I was better with my 45 knowledge I coulda cleaned up

I bought one of the Ernie Hines and one of the 24 Carat Black. There were alot of non-Stax raers that were quickly snatched up. If you had the knowledge you certainly would have cleaned up in the 45s, especially in the 2.99 or 10 for 20.00 section.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    strat, what was the deal with the month before records? what was he charging? he had quantity of high caliber things? entertain us please!

tripledouble said:
    strat, what was the deal with the month before records? what was he charging? he had quantity of high caliber things? entertain us please!

High caliber would probably depend on an individual's taste in music, but I was pulling stuff like unplayed In Search Orchestra, Kellee Patterson's self titled on Shadybrook, Sealed doubles of Dance To The Drummer's Beat on T.K. Disco, a sealed copy of Cloud One Atmosphere Strut, La Pregunta Shangri la 12" and stuff like that. I was buying 3 and getting one free and ended up pulling close to 60 lps. Alot of it was sealed or unplayed in the shrink, and the price was 9.99 each or buy 3 get one free. Alot of 20.00 to 40.00 records for 10.00.

Priceline, Destinations: Little Rock, anddddddddddddddddddddddddddd done.

lol
    can't wait to get back there & grab more 45s myself.

The_Non said:
    Priceline, Destinations: Little Rock, anddddddddddddddddddddddddddd done.

And I pulled all those after he "cherry picked" those boxes. I was going to come back and clean him out, but he sold the remaining records as a bulk lot to make room. He did pull a bulk of the Black Fire catalog and a 1619 Bad Ass Band and others that quickly sold. I've been shopping there since 1999 so I was one of the first people on his contact list when he got them, unfortunately I was working out of town and got there a day late. Still pulled some nice records though.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Saw the 1619 Lp and a Blair lp with $350 tags on them. Honestly if I had the time I coulda ran through that place for hours

Glad the short time you spent there was a pleasant experience. That's where I spend alot of my spare time when I can get any.

stratasphere said:
    Glad the short time you spent there was a pleasant experience. That's where I spend alot of my spare time when I can get any.

There's no question that this is one of the better stores around.