What do you cull?

soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
How do you decide when its time to say good bye to a record? This is a hard one for me since I like to keep my collection small but grab tons of stuff all the time. I find that its necessary to cut the fat or run the risk of not fully appreciating the gems as they can get lost in the mix. Any methods? Looking more for people who are consciously trying to get under the 1200+/- lp mark rather than the peeps fine with having a whole room full of vinyl, though I love y'all the same.

Comments

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    I have had a collection of around 1000 records for the last few years, although I buy records every week. I try to be very critic for a record before I put it on the shelve. If I don't like it, it goes straight to the 'for sale' crate. And every once in a while I go through my entire collection and pick out the fat from the meat, give those records a respin and file some to sell. I've not yet regretted selling a record (only maybe selling it for not enough money), because they make room and money for better records.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Meat without any fat left usually isn't that tasteful.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Meat without any fat left usually isn't that tasteful.
    cut the fat off THEN butter baste it. good to go.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    soundsreal said:
    How do you decide when its time to say good bye to a record?

When my ears tell me I don't like it.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    soundsreal said:
    How do you decide when its time to say good bye to a record?

When my ears tell me I don't like it.

/thread

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It basically has to be either a solid album or contain a killer song I can't live without. I'm down to a 4 X 4 Expedit and I intend to keep it that way - ( + a couple of crates in the attic).

If you sell 10 records and end up buying 1 of them back, it's still a good deal I say.

• My free jazz and sweet soul.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    It basically has to be either a solid album or contain a killer song I can't live without. I'm down to a 4 X 4 Expedit and I intend to keep it that way - ( + a couple of crates in the attic).

If you sell 10 records and end up buying 1 of them back, it's still a good deal I say.

u nailed it..........

that's EXACTLY what i am aiming for, including the 10 out, 1 in ratio!

solid or killer, all the way!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

That's the thing. Once I get rid of something, it's GONE. Don't want any "seller's remorse" later. If I say I "used to have" some title, I don't want to say it with regret.