Roy Ayers - He's Coming Reissue vs OG

edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Does anyone know how to tell the reissue from the original?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Nice to meet you.

• smell it

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    lol. the reissue is obviously a reissue, the original is clearly a 40 year old record. problem solved!

also, original copies of this tend to be promos.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    don't listen to these dudes, they are just having you on. the original press of this can be identified easily by the following stamp in the run out groove area of the record. The original masters were processed at Royal American Masters Processing & thus originals have the letters RAMP stamped in the runout just after the matrix number. the later reissue has "S-123456" or some similar number etched in the runout, it also has a really glossy cover which is easy to pick. good luck & welcome to soulstrut.

edit: also what the above post says......

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    The original cover is a paste over on heavy cardboard jacket stock. And if you notice, the font on Polydor reissues are the same for every reissue from He's Coming to The Payback and others with stock Polydor labels.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    holmes said:
    The original masters were processed at Royal American Masters Processing & thus originals have the letters RAMP stamped in the runout just after the matrix number. .

Royal Ayers Music Production?

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    holmes said:
    . The original masters were processed at Royal American Masters Processing & thus originals have the letters RAMP

big coincidence if it is in fact as you say

I was ALSO quite sure its Roy Ayers Music Production............would be cool to be son'ed on this one tho ;)

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Can't believe it. First post with a most basic question without any introduction and nobodys clowning the guy. Soulstrut has to be suffering from a collective hangover this morning.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Can't believe it. First post with a most basic question without any introduction and nobodys clowning the guy. Soulstrut has to be suffering from a collective hangover this morning.

if in fact u believe the guys IS serious...........i highly doubt with all the resources available in determining OG presses

hangover, maybe......some kind of wake up is in order

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    disco_che said:

if in fact u believe the guys IS serious...........i highly doubt with all the resources available in determining OG presses

hangover, maybe......some kind of wake up is in order

Yeah right, that "Royal American Masters Processing" thing is suspect, but then still the clowning is way too subtle.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    holmes said:
    don't listen to these dudes, they are just having you on. the original press of this can be identified easily by the following stamp in the run out groove area of the record. The original masters were processed at Royal American Masters Processing & thus originals have the letters RAMP stamped in the runout just after the matrix number. the later reissue has "S-123456" or some similar number etched in the runout, it also has a really glossy cover which is easy to pick. good luck & welcome to soulstrut.

Records Are Musical Plates.... fixed

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    peeling off the cover of the original LP reveals the rare Ayers Baby cover. this is the only way to identify if its a first pressing.

sweatshop said:
    holmes said:

Records Are Musical Plates.... fixed

Upon further review Righteously Authenticating Most Prophecies thus the LP title. He's Coming!

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    peeling off the cover of the original LP reveals the rare Ayers Baby cover. this is the only way to identify if its a first pressing.

Ya that's how I determined mine was OG. Sadly, it was not until my 4th try that I discovered one with the rare Baby. I guess the moral of the story is don't stop believing.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The real question is: will Mr. Lockman ever post again?

• The reason i made this post was because the cover of the copy I found seems original, but the vinyl seems lighter than other Polydor releases (Roy Ayers) from the same period. also "sterling" and "RL" are also in the run out groove, just like other Polydor releases. Anyways I bought a reissue copy from Dusty Groove to compare them. Thanks.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    jlockman1@gmail.com said:
    The reason i made this post was because the cover of the copy I found seems original, but the vinyl seems lighter than other Polydor releases (Roy Ayers) from the same period. also "sterling" and "RL" are also in the run out groove, just like other Polydor releases. Anyways I bought a reissue copy from Dusty Groove to compare them. Thanks.

Are you going to tell us how they compare?

• jlockman1@gmail.com said:
    The reason i made this post was because the cover of the copy I found seems original, but the vinyl seems lighter than other Polydor releases (Roy Ayers) from the same period. also "sterling" and "RL" are also in the run out groove, just like other Polydor releases. Anyways I bought a reissue copy from Dusty Groove to compare them. Thanks.

LOL! i wasn't going to say anything but what you have is a japanese repress from the early 90's when they used heavy, aged cardboard stock. so congratulations, you now own 2 different reissues of the same record!

• Japanese reissues of this release have a catalog number that starts with LEX, mine does not.

Brought a reissue from Dusty Groove to confirm whether the LP you already had was an first press? Anyway were did you get the LP in question from?