It's So Damn Hot

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Today was not the best day to transport over 1000 rap records from the Bronx to the village, that's for sure.

:::sosweaty:::

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    tripledouble said:
    im with Lee PhD....try to acclimate.

a/c is kind of a cop out. sure it feels nice, and if youre mad old, might be necessary.but then when you go outside you are going to be even less tolerant of the real weather. learn to live, i say.

what tips do people have to actually deal with it??

a/c.

you bring your air conditioner with you outside?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    tripledouble said:
    im with Lee PhD....try to acclimate.

a/c is kind of a cop out. sure it feels nice, and if youre mad old, might be necessary.but then when you go outside you are going to be even less tolerant of the real weather. learn to live, i say.

what tips do people have to actually deal with it??

a/c.

you bring your air conditioner with you outside?

No, but when you live in a place where it can be 100 degrees every day for 100 days straight...the idea of braving it without a/c is simply ludicrous. I mean, I like running in hot weather, better than any other. So it's not like I'm scared of the heat. I just know that you can't expect to sweat 24 hours a day for 100 days straight. You gotta break it up with either a/c or swimming, period.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm a grown ass man living in the suburbs... so not giving a fuck

HarveyCanal said:

No, but when you live in a place where it can be 100 degrees every day for 100 days straight...the idea of braving it without a/c is simply ludicrous. I mean, I like running in hot weather, better than any other. So it's not like I'm scared of the heat. I just know that you can't expect to sweat 24 hours a day for 100 days straight. You gotta break it up with either a/c or swimming, period.

i understand youre point. but what did people do pre a/c? durely they didnt say "this is ludicrous, lets move to canada". it wasnt thaaat long ago

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

i understand youre point. but what did people do pre a/c? durely they didnt say "this is ludicrous, lets move to canada". it wasnt thaaat long ago

Those that could vacated the cities and went to the shore. Those that couldn't took it out on each other in a major spike in violent crime. And many old people died.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I'm a grown ass man living in the suburbs... so not giving a fuck

Fuck that b-boy "don't wear sandals bullshit." I am a grown-ass man too, so for me, practicality trumps vanity any day of the week.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

They used to have cocaine in their Coca-Cola, so I think they were too zooted to even notice the heat.

ok, now thats a valid coping mechanism.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

They used to have cocaine in their Coca-Cola, so I think they were too zooted to even notice the heat.

It's hot enough that I would accept cocaine in my Coca Cola right now. Actually, wouldn't that make you feel hotter? Shit. Maybe some purp. Bet that would take the edge off.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I just walked from the Northside of Williamsburg to the Southside and back.

There has been a welcome initiative recently to plant trees here and they are all over the place. Sadly, I saw many of them were wilted or dead in the heat because nobody watered them after they were planted.

What a fuking waste...

• tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

they dealt with it, just like folks at one time got sick and didn't take anti-biotics, hauled crates and crates of records to their dj gigs, and couldn't keep perishable food in their homes

I have lived in extremely hot climates abroad with no reliable electricity (imagine 100 degree heat and high humidity in a concrete apartment building with no electricity to power a fan -- All while sleeping under a suffocating mosquito net), but fuck I'm gonna turn on the AC if it's available and hot as fak out.

• tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

100f+ in toronto today.

my polar bear wont leave the igloo!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    AC = Best Invention EVER

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Pre-AC, people just didn't go out in the middle of the day. Businesses would close for that time also.

Mad dogs and Englishmen, y'know.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I told my girl no air conditioning until she finds a job. I'm dying right now but electricity would be so much higher with it so...

• HamHam 872 Posts
    move slow, stay in the shadows, wear linen

• BT Express Tonight @ Betsy Head Memorial Park, been dressing up Beers as Grape Soda when on the skreets (fluid uptake related).

This heat feels like home for us, fuck the cold.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

It's hot enough that I would accept cocaine in my Coca Cola right now. Actually, wouldn't that make you feel hotter? Shit. Maybe some purp. Bet that would take the edge off.

Cocaine raises your body temp.
    They also went to mountain retreats where it's cooler. Tony, hit the Poconos and get bourgie.
    There was a fan in the olden days that was powered by a candle burning underneath it, it spun really slow. Another good tip is to put a bowl of water in front of a fan and it helps a tiny bit. You can also put ice, but the ice doesn't effectively work at cooling until it melts. So, if you can effectively get your tap water cool and pour the bowl and throw in a few cubes, that's just as good, if not better. If you have shades and blinds, close them. If you're really desperate and dislike A/C, I guess you could use dry ice, but it won't last. Eating less is huge.

• Options
    Be careful with dry ice because the CO2 is heavier than air and may cloud up the area. But, if it is hot then the CO2 will dissipate faster than if it is cold.

Be careful with eating less, too. It is very important to get enough to eat.

Avoid caffeine, smoking, using amps, using flat screens, drinking alcohol, and cooking during the hot parts of the day.

Plants work very well. House plants will keep it cool inside, even in the shade, and trees will keep it cool outside. Well watered palm trees are amazing to me. They remind of large A/C units on telephone poles.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

100f+ in toronto today.

Man, we've been having some really crazy weather this past week.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts

100f+ in toronto today.

Same in Ottawa, I've been working outside building a porch, direct sun. Drank 5L of water yesterday. If the saws wouldn't wake up the neighbours I'd start at 5 and quit at 1, but that just seems wrong for so many reasons.

• 100f+ in toronto today.

Same in Ottawa, I've been working outside building a porch, direct sun. Drank 5L of water yesterday. If the saws wouldn't wake up the neighbours I'd start at 5 and quit at 1, but that just seems wrong for so many reasons.

yeah those days are the BEST. 10L of water, 0 pee breaks.

we catch this kind of a season once or twice a year, and it always feels like it's going to last forever. it'd be kind of nice if it DID so that we could catch up on roughly THE MONTH we got burned on with all the rain at the beginning of the year.

but yeah, you're right...... 99% of the time, private contracting wont accomodate it, but when i get any commercial/industrial contracts i'll treat that shit like booking tee times in las vegas...... if you're out at noon, you're out too late.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Supposed to hit 65 here today.

Living in SF has made me downright soft serve when it comes to heat. On the rare occasions it creeps into the 90s here, I don't enjoy it, but that's due in large part to the fact that no one has air conditioning here. Hard to sleep when your pinner fan is just blowing hot air on you.

I am in love with the "summer" here since I grew up in the Midwest. Humid summers; I do not miss. Occasional sunshine and fog I deal with.

hogginthefogg said:
    . Occasional sunshine and fog and earthquakes I deal with.

something to be said for the seasonal yet stable northeast climate

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Hey now! Putting words in my mouth! I've only felt a few earthquakes here. Luckily, only a few.

we just had a hail storm! temperature in my house just dropped ten degrees!!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    we just had a hail storm! temperature in my house just dropped ten degrees!!

Whoa. Gnar gnar. That's on some tornado tip.

:pasue:

yeah im not wishing no earthquakes on you now. god forbid. still, we dont seem to deal with the wildfires, tsunamis, hurricanes and natural disasters as all the scenic lovely places. let me sweat in the shithole that i call home!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I've lived in the south my entire life (over 10 years in Texas) and I have never gotten used to the heat. One thing about the south though is most everywhere has A/C. NYC in the summer is miserable, the hottest night I have ever spent was in Queens. It was insane. I got up 3 times during the night to take a cold shower. Even in Texas where it is hot as fuck for half the year, at least your job or home or someone you know has A/C. Relief is somewhere nearby. Up north, no relief. As far as cost to run an A/C, we got a brand new gigantic ass central unit last year and we keep it cold as a meat locker in the house a