It's So Damn Hot

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central

Going to feel like 100 at some point today in NYC. Please to share cooling tips and general tactics to escape the heat.

This year I have really embraced linen pants. I'd never really messed with them before, but my lady picked me up a couple of pairs, and I am now a convert. I've been rocking them with polos made of thin t-shirt material, and at least I'm not sweating my brain out over here. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Comments

• Options
    Drink water.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Going to feel like 100 at some point today in NYC. Please to share cooling tips and general tactics to escape the heat.

This year I have really embraced linen pants. I'd never really messed with them before, but my lady picked me up a couple of pairs, and I am now a convert. I've been rocking them with polos made of thin t-shirt material, and at least I'm not sweating my brain out over here. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.
    I'm down in DC and it really is 100 ... all my bike messenger dudes, stay hydrated!

Natural fibers are a must, DB. People were talking sh*t about linen in that suit thread, but I'll take wrinkles over sweat stains and monkey-butt any and every day.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

time to put your ice carving skills to the test and fashion yourself a stylish ice sculpture helmet.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    Natural fibers are a must, DB. People were talking sh*t about linen in that suit thread, but I'll take wrinkles over sweat stains and monkey-butt any and every day.

Damn right. My skin's trying to breathe over here. I can't imagine wearing any sort of suit in this weather though. Multiple layers sounds suicidal.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I have this theory that say you neck a cool drink, the temperature outside your body will feel warmer in comparison.. so it doesn't cool you down - perception-wise.

And conversely, if you drink a hot drink on a hot day, you'll actually feel cooler as a result. Cause the air around you feels cooler.

I used to hate summer heat... I'd get hot like a motherfather cause I'd always be trying to escape and avoid the heat whenever possible.. so the minute there was any heat at all my body would feel it big time.

So, I decided to try doing the opposite of keeping cool.. I decided to get used to temperatures hotter than what I was trying to avoid...

For the first few days I thought I was going to fuckin faint and then all of a sudden my body started to acclimatise.

Oddly enough, it worked and now I love heat (NRR).

I believe its called Exposure Therapy in the real world... although I thought I was inventing it at the time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Man up.

100 degrees doesn't even faze me.

Go for a run in it to get a good sweat on.

Then swim.

Then shower.

Drink ice cold Mexican beer.

Crank up the a/c.

Smoke something.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Man up.

Crank up the a/c.

?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Aint no joke. Typically more people die annually from heat than any other weather related event.

Stay cool you all.

HarveyCanal said:
    Man up.

Go for a run in it to get a good sweat on. Oh hells no

Then swim.That I'd be down with

Then shower.Check

Drink ice cold Mexican beer.I'll take Coors Light, but check

Crank up the a/c.Oh hells yes

Smoke something.I lost my dude's number. Been without for a month. Bummer.

LaserWolf said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Man up.

Crank up the a/c.

?

Not crank as in meth, but crank as to turn on.

Looks like this dude needs some linen pants.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i've been rocking these to keep a nice breeze on my feet when outside w/o suffering the humiliation of flip-flops:

between april and october i never leave the house without a handkerchief/sweat rag in my back pocket.

freeze grapes, freeze cut-up mango and pineapple chunks, freeze whatever you can, then eat it. make your own healthy popsicles, then eat them.

actually drinking frozen daiquiris helps a lot too...

willie_fugal said:

between april and october i never leave the house without a handkerchief/sweat rag in my back pocket.

"On Tuesday's and Thursday's, you better watch for the sweep, look them people gone act an ass if you get caught in the street."

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    willie_fugal said:

"On Tuesday's and Thursday's, you better watch for the sweep, look them people gone act an ass if you get caught in the street."

Shit, nigga betta hopskip, and jump on the block on tuesdays and thursdays better run from the block

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I put a huge bowl of ice cubes in front of the fans

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    you're getting what we just had on tuesday. it said 104 degrees in my truck that day and today its in the 50s!!!!

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    My fridge has been dead since the weekend and my replacement isn't getting delivered until Saturday. No cool drinks for me. My tap water even comes out lukewarm.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Just warming up here.....hit 101 yesterday.

b/w

I'll take 115F over -15F any and every day.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    New York looks gray today...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Supposed to hit 65 here today.

Living in SF has made me downright soft serve when it comes to heat. On the rare occasions it creeps into the 90s here, I don't enjoy it, but that's due in large part to the fact that no one has air conditioning here. Hard to sleep when your pinner fan is just blowing hot air on you.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    After this past dark endless winter from hell, i'll take the sweltering heat. I'm locked up in my a/c'ed apt till work tonight anyway. My Irish/Scottish ass can't be at the beach all day though.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I'm down in DC and it really is 100 ... all my bike messenger dudes, stay hydrated!

No doubt. Go for a cotton/linen blend if the wrinkles really bother you. I've become a stay-cool junkie in this heat, even my ties are linen.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    i've been rocking these to keep a nice breeze on my feet when outside w/o suffering the humiliation of flip-flops:

These shoes are less humiliating than flip flops? I don't know about that...
    Do you rock them with a matching mesh tanktop?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    willie_fugal said:

Yo those are tite as shit. What are they?

For the next few months I'm wearing as little clothing as possible. Shit is out of control in NYC today.

AND IT'S NOT EVEN SUMMER YET

• Cosmo said:
    willie_fugal said:

Yo those are tite as shit. What are they?

For the next few months I'm wearing as little clothing as possible. Shit is out of control in NYC today.

AND IT'S NOT EVEN SUMMER YET
    generic surplus.

I've been eyeing them for a minute. dirt cheap too.

edit: cheap if you can find them on sale...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    im with Lee PhD....try to acclimate.

a/c is kind of a cop out. sure it feels nice, and if youre mad old, might be necessary.but then when you go outside you are going to be even less tolerant of the real weather. learn to live, i say.

what tips do people have to actually deal with it??
    i move slow, work more in the mornings and late afternoons...do paperwork and computer stuff in the blazing heat. dont eat too much. drink a lot of water. try to get the house breezes going ( i have no a/c). its not too bad. plus, i got a bidet to take care of inevitable swampass/monkeybutt

i second having a hand towel when moving about outside. crucial element.

for real though people, dont be afraid to sweat once in a while. we're supposed to

tripledouble said:
    im with Lee PhD....try to acclimate.

a/c is kind of a cop out. sure it feels nice, and if youre mad old, might be necessary.but then when you go outside you are going to be even less tolerant of the real weather. learn to live, i say.

what tips do people have to actually deal with it??

a/c.

• Options
    I like the warmth because it helps my circulation.

Sayin'

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    double