Putting On A Gig

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
I'm curious about doing this to make some money on the side, having attended and DJ'ed at a few.

The idea is to arrange the whole thing.. book the venue, find the acts, promote and market it.

I'm betting a few of y'all have experience with this. Care to drop some knowledge, tips and advice ?

Peace.
Lee.

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    B/w

What kind of artist could I book in the 5 grand ballpark ?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    just reading all the questions it sounds like more of a hassle than it's worth.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    unless you are willing to risk losing money, and a substantial sum at that, don't do it. Your odds at a quick buck in the stock market are probably better. Your expenses will not only be the band guarantees, but security, sound guys, doorman, the bands' rider (equipment requirements, a couple hundred bucks worth food, booze, and shit like towels, cigarettes), poster printing,etc. Then having to deal with a club owner, insurance requirements. It is a hassle man. Its a profession being a promoter, takes experience, so don't expect to be great at it on your first attempt. The dudes who make good money at it have been doing it for a bit.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If you want to make money on the side you'd be better off mowing lawns.

• II think the problem folks are talking about is booking an "act".

Got a venue already? Throw your own weekly or bi-monthly.
    You would stand some chance of making money by just promoting
    the shit out of YOURSELF.
    Promotion is all hype.

YOU are the best DJ in the state.
    YOU have the deepest crates around.
    YOUR night is full of drunk happy pretty people who are kool.

Get a flyer that says the above in a cool way, and put out THOUSANDS
    of them every week.
    $5-$8 at the door. If the clubowner lets you keep even half of this,
    by the time you are getting 200 people in the door, you are making some change.

Okay, so go less high-profile with the acts.

The venue is right in the centre of town and can be hired for ??450 - this figure includes door staff, bar staff, box office, ticket sales and use of the in house PA. The venue also publicise the events taking place there.

The capacity is 450 standing.

I have 3 bands - 1 highly popular in the area and bookable for about ??600. The other 2 are up and comers with a following. One will play for ??100 and the other for free (they want to drum up some recognition).

So with outgoings of just over ??1k and potential takings of ??3600 at ??8 a ticket, its highly tempting.

I'd only need to sell 150 tickets to break even.

• JalvemoJalvemo 9 Posts
    My first thought is that I think its the wrong way to go if your main intention is to make some money on the side.
    The_Hook_Up and Horseleech puts it very well:
    "If you want to make money on the side you'd be better off mowing lawns."
    "Its a profession being a promoter, takes experience, so don't expect to be great at it on your first attempt. The dudes who make good money at it have been doing it for a bit."

If you don't have experience and don't already do these kind of things a lot, I think u have to be quite passionated about it. it takes time!

How are you going to promote the events? do the place attract guests by itself? if you are putting up posters, someone have to design print and put then up.

Are you doing this alone? we were like 10 people when I was in to this stuff.
    Im sorry, I felt that I had a lot of tips to share when i red thread on the subway. now I'am tired and its all blank.

• Where in the UK are you? I've given up trying with something like this here in the Midlands...

Near Gloucester.

Yeah, there are certainly a lot less people going out of a Friday / Saturday night for the hell of it, but a well advertised gig seems to go down well.

The place is a venue specifically for gigs and entertainment so a lot of people frequent it. Plus its one of only two venues where gigs take place in the whole town, so competition isn't really a problem.

How are you going to promote the events? do the place attract guests by itself? if you are putting up posters, someone have to design print and put then up.

In addition to the venue publishing the event on their website (which people visit on a regular basis to see whats on) and in their booklet, I have good experience with Photoshop and have free access to poster size printers, so making the posters and fliers is no sweat.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    vinylstalker said:

Never ever do anything where you don't get 100% of the door.
    Everything else is for kids who have time to waste.

If you desperately have to make money and can't afford to take risks and lose money on a new venture, get a (second) day job instead.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Frank said:
    vinylstalker said:

If you desperately have to make money and can't afford to take risks and lose money on a new venture, get a (second) day job instead.

Frank is totally right on this one.

Frank said:

I've got money, and I'd like to make more of it.

The deal is, my current job finishes at the end of December. Therefore while I'm still in this job, I can arrange and put on a night.. if it goes well and I do well from it, maybe theres some scope there for me.

I appreciate that its no walk in the park, but the idea of coming up with a night and marketing it really appeals to me.

I like the fact that its a gamble of a few grand, but ultimately its success is entirely reliant on how much effort and determination I bring to the table and how much I get stuck in to making it work.

• Frank said:
    vinylstalker said:

Well, sure, the goal is to get all of the door.
    In my experience you have to work your way up to 100% if your
    ability to draw a large crowd is unproven.

I've done plenty of gigs where I started out getting 50% of the door,
    and in a few months after proving my drawing power, went up to
    100% because the bar was making fistloads of dough.
    I was not a kid and I wasn't wasting anyones time.

You are on another level, Frank, I'll give you that.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    sounds lie you want to do it anyway, so just do it

tripledouble said:
    sounds lie you want to do it anyway

That's right...

Hence me asking:

I'm betting a few of y'all have experience with this. Care to drop some knowledge, tips and advice ?

• Frank said:
    vinylstalker said:

It depends on the venue, but 100% is unheard of in these parts, especially a place that focuses on live music.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    B/w

ugly duckling.

peace, stein. . .:)

youngEINSTEIN said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    B/w

ugly duckling.

peace, stein. . .:)

Ha! I've been to about 4 of your gigs in Bristol and Bath over the years and I often wondered what kinda money it took to book UD.

I remember one at The Academy in Bristol where the bill was UD, The Breakestra, DJ Format and some other dudes. That must have set the venue back a fair bit.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    tripledouble said:
    sounds lie you want to do it anyway

That's right...

Hence me asking:

I've never put a show like this on, but I've played plenty of them and my only advice is to give yourself a financial cushion to pay for unexpected costs - damage, cleanup etc. Also make sure the venue is insured/bonded so in case somebody gets hurt it's not you who gets sued.