Belgian Popcorn documentary

BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
edited May 2011 in Announcements
Last year, I made a short documentary about Belgian Popcorn...

"Belgium, 1970. While most radio stations and discotheques are playing the pop and rock hits of the day, a new venue opens in the small village of Vrasene, near Sint-Niklaas. The place is called The Popcorn and the dj???s play obscure soul records which they slow down in order to create their own sound. A few years later, music lovers and dancers come from all over Belgium, France and The Netherlands to enjoy this unique music. More and more venues start playing this style of music, which they refer to as ???the Popcorn sound??? or ???Popcorn Oldies???.

This film tells the story of Popcorn through the eyes of dj???s Gerry and Gibbe, two of the founding fathers of the genre. They speak about the early days of the scene, about record digging in basements in the UK, and they return for a last time to The Popcorn, which closed in 2003. As the building is currently in the process of being demolished, this is the last footage ever shot of one of the most legendary discotheques in Belgium."

Check the 12' long video here: http://www.laid-back.be/blog/?p=4234

Comments

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Nice work! Enjoyable to watch.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    Thank you very much, it was a pleasure making it.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    A mate from Finalnd just sent this to me via FB the other day - great doco man. I wasn't really sure what distinguished popcorn from rhythm and blues but your doco clarrifies the distinction.