jamie oliver food revolution: a subversive critique on the socio-economic state of LA

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
any u dudes watching this? i just got current thru hulu but goddamn one of the more interesting reality shows of last year has really been sticking it to LA. its one of the few shows that proves its point through outright failure. right from the start, in contrast to last year which took place in small town west virginia, the dudes inability to negotiate his way through a major metropolitan bureaucracy challenges the idea that cities are progressive and rural small towns are not.

the racial segregation is amplified and somewhat reiterated by oliver but you kind of have to know the geography of LA to see it. thats the subversive part and im kind of wondering if this was done on purpose to show the hypocrisy of this city. for one his test kitchen is i believe in westwood and it seems to have a communal feel to it. however the people that he identifies as in need of help are clear across town in west adams. thats like opening up a soup kitchen in the gated community of bel air.

i mean theres more but really this is just 3 episodes in. i havent even scratched the surface when it comes to small business practice in LA. not no boutique some rich housewife is opening, but real dudes trying to scrape by and again oliver come across as a pompous failure for not understanding how businesses on that economic level survive.

brilliant show tho. especially since the dude is basically failing at everything for most the season. highly recommended. i mean, when have you ever gotten a clearer picture of america on a reality show?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Just watched one episode. Wowzerz. Heavy stuff. I know a lot of teachers in the area. It's frustrating all around. I hope he's able to pull off a miracle.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Murdock said:
    Just watched one episode. Wowzerz. Heavy stuff. I know a lot of teachers in the area. It's frustrating all around. I hope he's able to pull off a miracle.

see i think thats whats brilliant about his show. his eagerness to show you how he is going to fail miserably to shed light on whats really the problem. like some obiwan kenobi shit.

wait til you see when he goes to school. oliver and the cfo that holds the contract for the charter school are literally the only white people on campus. diversity in LA is somewhat of a misnomer.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I heard about the show when it was first airing but never knew the channel or day so never saw it. I was a fan of his cooking shows before and have one of his books as well.

motown67 said:
    I heard about the show when it was first airing but never knew the channel or day so never saw it. I was a fan of his cooking shows before and have one of his books as well.

hulu! the show is way more layered and interesting than should ever be allowed on network american tv. though its never outright spoken, they are beginning to move towards the notion of availability of healthy food choices in low income areas.

and to keep it music related, marvin gaye's dad's house (where he was shot and killed) is a few blocks away from the school he's at.

• Options
    I'd sooner watch termites eat wood.

• grandpa_shig said:
    any u dudes watching this? i just got current thru hulu but goddamn one of the more interesting reality shows of last year has really been sticking it to LA. its one of the few shows that proves its point through outright failure. right from the start, in contrast to last year which took place in small town west virginia, the dudes inability to negotiate his way through a major metropolitan bureaucracy challenges the idea that cities are progressive and rural small towns are not.

the racial segregation is amplified and somewhat reiterated by oliver but you kind of have to know the geography of LA to see it. thats the subversive part and im kind of wondering if this was done on purpose to show the hypocrisy of this city. for one his test kitchen is i believe in westwood and it seems to have a communal feel to it. however the people that he identifies as in need of help are clear across town in west adams. thats like opening up a soup kitchen in the gated community of bel air.

i mean theres more but really this is just 3 episodes in. i havent even scratched the surface when it comes to small business practice in LA. not no boutique some rich housewife is opening, but real dudes trying to scrape by and again oliver come across as a pompous failure for not understanding how businesses on that economic level survive.

brilliant show tho. especially since the dude is basically failing at everything for most the season. highly recommended. i mean, when have you ever gotten a clearer picture of america on a reality show?

Cosign.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i watched one story arc while dude was down south somewhere.
    its the old ladies in the cafeteria who cant fathom changing the processed food culture theyve been locked into.
    drama unfolds.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the footage where he asks kids where food comes from will be crazy!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    We need more shows where English dudes come to the States and tell us how fucked we are.

Rockadelic said:
    We need more shows where English dudes come to the States and tell us how fucked we are.

Yeah, we shouldn't help our children live better.

• Murdock said:
    Rockadelic said:

Of course we should. We just don't need a mush-mouthed douche like Jamie Oliver to take care of it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    no wonder were fucked

dont blame jamie oliver, blame paul revere for warning them!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    If it's any consolation he's already "saved" all the children in England and is currently involved in a show where he pisses about with a group of problem teenagers education. Ten years tops until TV Chefs run this nation.

To be fair to him he often makes some decent points and all that, just a shame he's such a punchable bellend.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Perhaps they can bulk-buy a whole bunch of SA warehouse gold whilst they are at it.

funky16corners said:
    Murdock said:
    Rockadelic said:

Of course we should. We just don't need a mush-mouthed douche like Jamie Oliver to take care of it.

I'll take a mush mouth douche over nothing.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

You guys love it.

Must be some latent S&M thing.

:roll:

b/w

Piers Morgan. Take him, keep him.

Rockadelic said:

honestly tho, i dont understand why some of u dudes are being such crybabies about him. have you seen who makes policy in this country? being a douchebag is damn near a prerequisite. and its not like im talking about texas or new jersey or wherevers. im talking about LA. and the show takes place in LA. so im pretty sure youre all safe from any kind of healthy reforms.

• grandpa_shig said:
    honestly tho, i dont understand why some of u dudes are being such crybabies about him. have you seen who makes policy in this country? being a douchebag is damn near a prerequisite. and its not like im talking about texas or new jersey or wherevers. im talking about LA. and the show takes place in LA. so im pretty sure youre all safe from any kind of healthy reforms.

You see this is where you're wrong. There are people on the ground, in school districts all over the country who work every day to make the lives (including nutrition) of our children better every day.
    The difference is, none of them have TV shows where they get to grandstand about doing it.
    People really ought to think twice about where they see their saviors coming from, especially when it's TV.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Which is kind of why it's been cancelled, right?

If it's any consolation - and I doubt it will be - Oliver has been doing similar things in the UK for a few years now with equally divisive results. He's doing it for all the right reasons, though. The chummy geezerishness of his public persona gets him a lot of criticism from some people, but I admire the way that, a) he puts his money where his mouth is, b) he isn't afraid to make policy makers at all levels look stupid, and c) he isn't afraid of looking stupid himself.

And now, back to Man Vs. Food...

Junior said:
    To be fair to him he often makes some decent points and all that, just a shame he's such a punchable bellend.

QED

double post.

funky16corners said:
    grandpa_shig said:

You see this is where you're wrong. There are people on the ground, in school districts all over the country who work every day to make the lives (including nutrition) of our children better every day.
    The difference is, none of them have TV shows where they get to grandstand about doing it.
    People really ought to think twice about where they see their saviors coming from, especially when it's TV.

you are totally missing the point. he could very well be grandstanding solely about his new cookbook or silverware set or whatevers. but he chooses to focus part of his opportunity of grandstanding on health issues. and youre gonna fault him for that? that doesnt make any sense.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    funky16corners said:
    grandpa_shig said:

you are totally missing the point. he could very well be grandstanding solely about his new cookbook or silverware set or whatevers. but he chooses to focus part of his opportunity of grandstanding on health issues. and youre gonna fault him for that? that doesnt make any sense.

I've had similar discussions about Oliver with my gf. Whatever you think about the guy, the stuff that he does is intended to help. And the ultimate question for me is that would the various people he involves in his shows be better or worse off if they hadn't been involved, and in the majority of cases I think they're bound to be better off, if only for having had a new experience/opportunity that they wouldn't have had otherwise.
    But he can come across as a knob-end, but that's 'cos he's over-enthusiastic about a subject that the mainstream cares very little for.

and where am i wrong? where have i said he is some sort of savior. its pretty clear from the topic that i was more interested in the subtext of his message. to expose a bureacracy that has been further complicated by a mayor who's platform was centered around school reform. and instead of reform he has made an even more complex maze of red tape and has really had no results in reforming schools outside of firing the same people on the ground that you claim he is superseding.

and im not trying to say that lausd doesnt have to balance a delicate predicament of their own. but hiring more bureaucrats while firing actual field workers makes as much sense as your argument.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    What was "License to Ill" originally going to be called?

b/w

Let the muppet do his thing and show still how fucked our food system is here.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Junior said:
    Ten years tops until TV Chefs run this nation.

For what it's worth, most of us don't know the difference between Gordons Ramsay and Brown.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Junior said:
    Ten years tops until TV Chefs run this nation.

For what it's worth, most of us don't know the difference between Gordons Ramsay and Brown.

Understandable though, they're both craggy faced Scots with anger issues whose fall from popularity has been as quick as their rise. Easiest way to remember is Brown is the one with the wonky eye who keeps his shirt on.

My lady is obsessed with the Food channel on satellite so I feel well versed in these shows these days. Import highlight for me is definitely creepy steroid man show, Dinner: Impossible. There's a man who could solve the world's woes.