Options

Motown Records

edited June 2011 in Strut Central
I heard Motown was originally named Anna, is that true?

Also, is it true that in '64 the British invasion dominated the top charts with The Beatles holding #1 position until Motown released Diana Ross's first album Love Child.

I think the map on the label is so neat. Are there any other record labels that have maps on them?

Currently listening to a 1983 Motown release by Micheal Lovesmith.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    NorthernDealer10 said:

Also, is it true that in '64 the British invasion dominated the top charts with The Beatles holding #1 position until Motown released Diana Ross's first album Love Child.

I think the map on the label is so neat. Are there any other record labels that have maps on them?

read up on your read ups: http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/gordystory.html

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    soulone?

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    NorthernDealer10 said:

Motown is a generic name given to the sound and records recorded mainly in Hitsville's Studio A and released on a variety of labels such as Tamla, Motown, Gordy, Soul, VIP, etc. Anna was label owned by a sister or in-law of Berry Gordy Jr. The first 'official' Motown record was Bad Girl by The Miracles on Tamla.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    RAJ said:
    soulone?

has a dog with the same name. coincidence?

• Options

Motown is a generic name given to the sound and records recorded mainly in Hitsville's Studio A and released on a variety of labels such as Tamla, Motown, Gordy, Soul, VIP, etc. Anna was label owned by a sister or in-law of Berry Gordy Jr. The first 'official' Motown record was Bad Girl by The Miracles on Tamla.

Hi thanks.

My friend thinks the change from a regional sound (maybe of the region pictured on the label) to a more wide spread sound is interesting. Is it realistic to think that these different sounds would/could/should stay regional?

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts

Hi thanks.

My friend thinks the change from a regional sound (maybe of the region pictured on the label) to a more wide spread sound is interesting. Is it realistic to think that these different sounds would/could/should stay regional?

What do you think?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Well, since Diana Ross & the Supremes'"Love Child" didn't come out until 1968, that would be impossible.