Best eBay Message I've Gotten To Date

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
keep in mind this is regarding a $4 crappy (i don't even know why it sold) George Benson 45...

Buyer: Hello!
A few days ago I won your 7" promo vinyl of George Benson "Reaching for the Dream". I'm going to pay for the vinyl but at first I want to ask you some questions.
I see this LP is graded as "NM" and I see your description of "near mint" grade, but it's a grade for all the records and I want to ask about this record separately.
Is there any damage on vinyl (for example scratches or dirt) or it's a clean copy?
Whether it comes with a sleeve?
Waiting for your answer!

Me: you should ask questions like these BEFORE you buy from me. read the description.

I never ask the questions on auction before it ends, because if I will ask the questions, sellers will know that I want to buy the item and they will raise the price. I always ask these questions after the auction ends.
By the way, I don't make business with rude sellers. I can retract the purchase, if the seller was rude with me.
I ask these questions to avoid the misunderstandings which can arise when I will receive the vinyl.
My question is still actual.

i will raise the price? because he wants it? haha classic! head shake material...

Comments

• behemoth said:
    keep in mind this is regarding a $4 crappy (i don't even know why it sold) George Benson 45...

A few days ago I won your 7" promo vinyl of George Benson "Reaching for the Dream". I'm going to pay for the vinyl but at first I want to ask you some questions.
    I see this LP is graded as "NM" and I see your description of "near mint" grade, but it's a grade for all the records and I want to ask about this record separately.
    Is there any damage on vinyl (for example scratches or dirt) or it's a clean copy?
    Whether it comes with a sleeve?
    Waiting for your answer!

Me: you should ask questions like these BEFORE you buy from me. read the description.

I never ask the questions on auction before it ends, because if I will ask the questions, sellers will know that I want to buy the item and they will raise the price. I always ask these questions after the auction ends.
    By the way, I don't make business with rude sellers. I can retract the purchase, if the seller was rude with me.
    I ask these questions to avoid the misunderstandings which can arise when I will receive the vinyl.

i will raise the price? because he wants it? haha classic! head shake material...

He sounds like he writes for Nigerian e-mail scams on the side.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    classic if it was me I'd tell him to retract the bid please

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    No offense but you did get smart with the buyer. Why not just answer the question? Why list the record and then comment on how much it sold for? I am just say though.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    No offense but you did get smart with the buyer. Why not just answer the question? Why list the record and then comment on how much it sold for? I am just say though.

I stated the condition of the record in the listing though. And even put a grading scale. then he asks me AFTER he buys it out of fear I will jack the price up? I think it's stupid. I responded to him after and he eventually paid but I just set myself up for a complaint. I can just tell he will imagine up some flaw in the record.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Don't create problems that aren't there.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Questions like that call for a discount.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    behemoth said:
    sweatshop said:

I stated the condition of the record in the listing though. And even put a grading scale. then he asks me AFTER he buys it out of fear I will jack the price up? I think it's stupid. I responded to him after and he eventually paid but I just set myself up for a complaint. I can just tell he will imagine up some flaw in the record.

From my own exp I learned that listing records under $30 usually causes the biggest headaches I have had to jump through hoops to appease someone for a record that sold for $15 I have been extorted by buyers for dollar bin records that's why I won't list them on eBay now just my 2 cents

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    behemoth said:

I never ask the questions on auction before it ends, because if I will ask the questions, sellers will know that I want to buy the item and they will raise the price.

I'd take negative feedback to deal with this properly.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    sweatshop said:

From my own exp I learned that listing records under $30 usually causes the biggest headaches

^^
    so true, in my 10+ years of selling on ebay I've racked up 1 negative feedback and of course it was all over a $9.99 record.

kids.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    A friend of mine recently posted this eBay message on his Facebook wall:

"Hey X, I hope you don't mind, but I've sent you a small gift of $10 to get yourself a drink or something as a thank you for the great records."

I guess that's the best eBay message ever.

So I guess I misread the email. He didn't pay. However I did get another message from him. so basically what he's saying is there's a 100% chance there's a complaint.

Hello, Chris! Thanks for your answers!

I'm going to pay for the vinyl and I want to ask you about one thing. I see that you are serious seller and you send your items to many places. Please don't look at the amount of my feedbacks. To be honest, it's not important for me. I bought many LPs and CDs from various sellers and asked to pack the items in the right way. If the seller haven't listened to me and haven't packed the vinyl that way, it's a big risk for the item and we have more than 50% that it will come damaged.

I must say, that I need this vinyl in its original condition (in our case it's "near mint"). I'm collecting vinyls and cds of George Benson for many years and I think this one could take a good place in my collection, that's why I asked you about its condition so many times. I need to receive this vinyl in its original condition and without any damage from delivery.

So I want to ask you to pack the parcel this way. Please read the recommendations carefully and look at the photos. This is very important!

1. Use bubble wrap to pack the vinyl:
    http://img156.imageshack.us/i/p1000214c.jpg/
    http://img513.imageshack.us/i/p1000217v.jpg/
    http://img148.imageshack.us/i/p1000220f.jpg/
    http://img262.imageshack.us/i/p1000224.jpg/

2. Then put the vinyl with bubble wrap in the first package:
    http://img80.imageshack.us/i/p1000230dz.jpg/
    http://img220.imageshack.us/i/p1000233rm.jpg/

3. And then put the first package into the second one:
    http://img64.imageshack.us/i/p1000246d.jpg/
    http://img171.imageshack.us/i/p1000250a.jpg/

Please use only hard cardboard!
    If the package will have empty spaces please fill them with bubble wrap to fix the item.

$8 is a quite enough price for packing and shipping 7" vinyl.

Waiting for your answer.

All the best!
    Aleksandr

• Seems like the buyer will never be happy and probably give you a headache later. Either cancel transaction, or oblige the requests and take your chances with later drama. I can't say what i would do. Depends on the item price I guess.

Personally, I would have probably canceled. I hate when people do this. Like they think its OK to haggle after the auction ends when everything was spelled out in the listing.

Pinche mamones.

Yea I'm gonna cancel. cuz I'm not getting a negative for a $5 item

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    high_c said:
    sweatshop said:

From my own exp I learned that listing records under $30 usually causes the biggest headaches

^^
    so true, in my 10+ years of selling on ebay I've racked up 1 negative feedback and of course it was all over a $9.99 record.

kids.

This not just true online but in stores as well. The lamest, nit-pickingest, pain-in-the ass complaints come from the dollar bin lurkers. They complain about the temperature in the store, the music you're playing, the fact that the boxes are on the floor etc. etc. etc.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You have to use a righteous brother record as filler or it will be damaged?

I didn't think his first request was that outrageous.
    I think demanding bubble wrap is.

I hope no one here uses bubble wrap to pack records. Cardboard is the way to go.

• LW... what you got against the wrap?

Many thanks .

Tim

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    I don't use it because plastic bubble wrap traps in heat around a record and increases the chance that it will warp in transit. Also cardboard inserts provide a ton more support.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    MiddleDean said:
    LW... what you got against the wrap?

Many thanks .

Tim

Like he said.
    My theory is you want to give the record as much support as possible. You want the record to move around as little as possible.

With cardboard fillers you can achieve these results.
    Bubble wrap does not supply support or lessen movement.

The purpose of bubble wrap is to cushion fragile items against breaking when dropped. Not a problem with vinyl packaged in cardboard.

I think the photos also show the record being double boxed. This is an effective way to prevent dinged corners on the cover.

BTW: Cardboard's strength is directional. Use your fillers to laminate the cardboard for added strength.

Pack 78s the same way, then place in a larger box with bubble wrap or peanuts to absorb any shocks. (I have never shipped 78s but that is how I would do it.)

I think the methods I outlined conform with industry standards, but if others disagree or want to talk about pizza (style) boxes that is cool.

Dan

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

location?

b/w KRS lyrics?

• Horseleech speaketh the truth. Bottom feeders are the WORST!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I once bought a Led Zeppelin I LP from the US.

Dude shipped it to me 3500 miles across the Atlantic Ocean in a USED 12" DOMINO'S PIZZA BOX (complete with grease stains and a smidgen of onion). No packing. Just loose in the box.

To apologise for the craziness, he also threw this in with it:

Never heard of it, but it was pretty good as it goes.

The cover of the Led Zep LP was fucked, but the record played like a charm.

Anyway, the whole thing was so ridiculous that I just found it massively amusing.