Cross Country Record Transport Advice

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
having trouble with the search function (???) and was wondering about transporting wax.

i am going to be moving all of my stuff in a friends empty Fed Ex box truck. there are obviously no windows in the back. not sure how hot it will get back there. records packed tightly in crates with a sheet or something over it should be ok for a couple 12 hr days?? do i have to worry about possible heat or am i really just worrying about direct sunlight?

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Behemoth,

When I moved from Milwaukee to New Jersey, I had my records packed in cardboard moving boxes. These had to sit over a few days until the company (United Van Lines) could transport our belongings here to Jersey. That said, I think your records will be OK for the trip, as long as they don't receive direct sunlight. I wish you a safe move without incident.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Just pack them tightly, as you said, and you should be fine.

If for some reason they do get really warm, don't unpack them for at least 24 hrs after you put them in a cool environment.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    cool. thanks guys.

i guess a part 2 of the question. any one on the board live along the 81 corridor in VA or anywhere in TN along the highway that goes from the northeast part of the state to Memphis. possibly seeking a place to crash on one of the nights with a safe driveway for the van...

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    where ya movin to?

i'm not an expert, but when i drove long-distance when moving i had them all in crates with a sheet over them. they were all (seemingly) OK when i arrived...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Has anyone used Amtrak for transporting records? I have most of my records back home and am nervous as heck shipping them here. Seems like Amtrak is far more affordable than USPS, etc.