pressing question re: Delaware Heritage Concert - Black Star Ensemble LP

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central

I picked this private press jazz LP recently, and the last song on Side B ("Ornithology") is really distorted, sounds like the record is rinked, but the record itself looks like it's never seen a needle. Every other song plays perfectly fine. I'm wondering if this was some kind of error at the pressing plant, or if it's just this copy that's messed up..

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Is that the cut w/Clifford Brown?

As I recall, it's a vintage tape that was lo-fi (unlike the rest of the album), but the record played fine.

• Yeah, that's the one. It sounds terrible, totally unlistenable. You've heard the actual record and that track played fine? Weird.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Like I say, it's really lo-fi, but the problem wasn't with the vinyl, IIRC.

• Ahhh... ok.

Thanks!

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Yeah Horseleech is right , checked mine plays fine just a bit lo fi on that track

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I can't remember if I read this explanation on the back cover of the album itself or online somewhere, but supposedly that one track was recorded with the intentional addition of crackles and pops to simulate a scratchy old jazz record on 78. An unfortunate gimmick and poorly executed.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I can't remember if I read this explanation on the back cover of the album itself or online somewhere, but supposedly that one track was recorded with the intentional addition of crackles and pops to simulate a scratchy old jazz record on 78. An unfortunate gimmick and poorly executed.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    On the back of the album it just says

The concert closed with Clifford Brown, himself, as recorded live by Boysie

Boysie being Robert Lowery, Clifford Brown's teacher