Question for Rock or others (psych related)

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Are you up on a early-70's psych group from El Paso called Iota?

If so, what can you tell me about them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Released on Rockadelic Records.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Are you up on a early-70's psych group from El Paso called Iota?

If so, what can you tell me about them?

Thanks.

Iota were in the stable of Suemi Records in El Paso. When Suemi owner Kenny Smith was hired by Hi Records in Memphis to produce their "Rock" acts they took Iota with them and recorded an LP's worth of material which was never released. They did release one 45 on the Hi label titled "Within These Precincts" which is quite good. The band stayed in Memphis for about 2 years playing locally before hanging it up. The LP that I released was all recorded at Hi but the 45 release was their highlight and the LP has been considered "average bar rock" by some psych fans.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Thank you, and I ask as I've become friends with the daughter of their late organ player, Steve Phipps. I heard the album in full the other day and was quite impressed. I'm also very intrigued that their first 45 came out on Hi Records.

HarveyCanal said:
    I ask as I've become friends with the daughter of their late organ player, Steve Phipps. I heard the album in full the other day and was quite impressed. I'm also very intrigued that their first 45 came out on Hi Records.

I believe this is the same young lady that went to A&R Records in Dallas to work on a project and discovered her now deceased Dad's LP there on the wall. Is she a musician or in the music biz in some capacity?

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    I ask as I've become friends with the daughter of their late organ player, Steve Phipps. I heard the album in full the other day and was quite impressed. I'm also very intrigued that their first 45 came out on Hi Records.

I believe this is the same young lady that went to A&R Records in Dallas to work on a project and discovered her now deceased Dad's LP there on the wall. Is she a musician or in the music biz in some capacity?

Yes, she told me that story. But no, she doesn't work in music at all.

FYI

The "Swift Rain" LP on Hi was also an El Paso band brought to Memphis by Suemi.

I released a second LP with the label called Wailing Wall which is in my Top 3 faves on Rockadelic.

Kenny and his partner had a nice scene going on that included many rock bands but also the soul giant Lou Pride. I have some unreleased Lou Pride stuff including a great interview with him back in El Paso.

For those who know the label it is pronounced "Sue Me" as in "Go ahead and sue me" per Mr. Smith.

Thanks, man, you're a champ.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I'd crack a cold budweiser to that.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I really like the part from :55, kick ass tune!