Something's wrong next door...

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I haven't heard or seen our neighbor in days. Usually my dogs are growling when he's leaving or entering his apartment. and I frequently hear this stupid bell that's hanging behind his front door. Yesterday I noticed a weird smell which was noticably stronger today and when I just went outside it was so foul that it almost mage me gag. It's definitely coming through his door and my dogs react to it as well and are pulling towards that door. It smells kinda like shit and something rotten...

Maybe he just left for a vacation and forgot to take out the garbage but man, that must be some garbage... well, maybe he had a bbq and there's a bunch of bones and meat scraps in there that are now slowly rotting away in the heat.

I barely ever spoke to the guy so I have no idea how to call him on the phone or contact anybody he might know. He owns the apartment so I don't think anybody else has the keys. I spoke to our landlord but he just shrugged and said he'll tell the building manager tomorrow. I don't want to call the cops to have his door broken down but damn, this stench is just brutal.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    If this is not a joke thread (and I don't think that you'd idly post something like this, Frank), then I think we both know what's at stake.

1. Landlord/Building manager
    2. Cops

And I know how you feel about #2.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    No joke. Our landlord (who lives downstairs from us) didn't seem too worried but I'm a little freaked out, it's really a very bad smell and the way it got from a hint of bad air (yesterday) to a noticable stink (1pm today) to an overpowering stench (midnight) has me seriuosly worried.. I guess I'll see what the building manager says tomorrow. Maybe he has a key. Maybe the neighbor has taken off and left his two dogs behind but I guess they would have barked at some point and I didn't hear anything.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The fact that you are concerned for your neighbor's well-being speaks volumes for you, regardless of the outcome. I'd help you if I could (I'm here in Chicago).

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I had a similar situation back when living in Guinea when there was a similar stench coming from a neighbor's house who I knew was on vacation and I also knew that he had left keys with another neighbor so I could go in and check. Turned out it was a freezer full of meat, poultry and fish that had broken down.

Hopefully the building manager has a key and hopefully it's just the freezer.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I assume you've already tried knocking to see if he's there. From the sound of it, the stench will only get worse, at which point it will become a biohazard. I hope he's okay. I hope no one is dead in there.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Yeah, I knocked at noon already, no answer. In case there's no key with the building manager I guess I have to call the cops, or is it legally sound to have the building manager call a locksmith to check what's going in there? Somehow I don't want to risk have the cops invade the man's place in case it's really just a freezer full of rotting food.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    The landlord doesn't seem concerned? That's kinda weird. Sorry to hear of this, Frank.

I have a neighbor that profusely vomits every single morning. I was starting to get concerned, but didn't want to pry. However, it is not the most pleasing thing to hear first thing in the morning. Birds chirping, sun shining in....YAAAAAAAAAAAK!!

I once came home and heard him bumpin' 'Gin n' Juice'. That would make me puke, too, I guess.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Maybe he's expecting?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Junior said:
    Maybe he's expecting?

Yeah, I chortled at that thought. Then daydreamed about how cool it would be and maybe he would make it on Oprah. I think it is just a drug addiction or he's constantly hungover. Boo.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    A few thoughts that ran through my mind...

How old is this dude ?

Whats his general health like ?

Can you see through any of his windows ?

Are there any lights on at night ?

Have you asked any of the other neighbours that might know him if they know what the deal is / if he's on vacation ?

If anyone does know him, do they know where he works ? (Call his work to ascertain if he's on vacation-related).

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Frank said:
    when I just went outside it was so foul that it almost mage me gag. It's definitely coming through his door and my dogs react to it as well and are pulling towards that door. It smells kinda like shit and something rotten...

I hope I'm wrong, but considering the gag reflex and that description of the smell, if its been more than 5 days I would get on the case pretty quick cause that sounds like more than a fridge of bad food.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    If you notice many flies around the windows or from under the door, its serious. Happened to a friend, his neighbour died in the bathtub and the house was smelling like hell and there were thousands of flies. Yuk.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    It actually stinks far less this morning than yesterday. So I guess the worst case scenario is pretty much unliklely. There also aren't any flies. It still smells but nowhere near the stench of last night. It had happened bafore that he left his dogs alone for too long and they made a mess that you could smell from outside, generally followed by loud yelling once he did get back home. Maybe that's what happened again. I'll knock at his door again later.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One of the worst odors I've ever smelled was when a rat died in between the walls of an apartment.

If this is the case it smells for 4-5 days and then begins to fade.

Your neighbor may be on the other side of the wall thinking the same thing you are about you.

Good luck....hope the dude isn't dead.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Dude just got back from a long weekend getaway and it turns out his cat had died... poor thing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "MY PUSSY IS DEAD!"

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:
    "MY PUSSY IS DEAD!"
    I feel bad for apartment cats like this who never got to run around, chase birds etc. seems like such a sad life.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Frank said:
    batmon said:
    "MY PUSSY IS DEAD!"
    I feel bad for apartment cats like this who never got to run around, chase birds etc. seems like such a sad life.

Did he just leave the cat home alone for the long weekend?

• Options
    Geez,

I am having problems two doors away too. The cat is majorly neglected. I guess I'm just gonna call animal control this afternoon.

Sheish

• Options
    Edit: the cat looks ok right now, looking out the window.

I am worrying because it is dark in there. I haven't seen the tenants at all this month. Maybe they just go in and feed the cat and leave, but they haven't been sleeping there for two months.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Frank said:
    Dude just got back from a long weekend getaway and it turns out his cat had died... poor thing.

Long weekend. Leaves the cat. Doesn't get anyone to look after it.

Your neighbor is an asshole.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Frank said:
    batmon said:
    "MY PUSSY IS DEAD!"

I didn't ask him but I think that's what happened. I didn't even know he had a cat, I only ever saw the two dogs.

• Options
    It is hard to accept, but that is the way it is. I'm not gonna worry anymore.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    lol you lucked out.

when i lived in toronto we had a similar situation.. EXTREME stench of "roadkill" in the apartment.. nobody seemed to care but us, landlord was indifferent. .went on for over a week... finally the landlord came to collect the rent... and lo and behold buddy in the basement was basically a puddle by that point.

I thought the stink was bad all week but it was nothign compared to after they opened the DOOR!!!!

• Options
    Frank said:
    Horseleech said:
    Frank said:
    batmon said:
    "MY PUSSY IS DEAD!"

I didn't ask him but I think that's what happened. I didn't even know he had a cat, I only ever saw the two dogs.

Then again, maybe the refrigerator he keeps his dead hookers in failed.

Did you actually see a dead cat?