HIDING CABLES STRUT

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
We only have 2 outlets in our living room so we have to run extension cords along the wall/floor and what not. It's such an eyesore.

Have any of you found ways to make cables not so obvious? Any recommendations?

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    You can purchase cable concealers which are like tubes that contain all unsightly wires and cables. There are different types and colors, and while they're still visible, they're less of an eyesore than uncontained wires. Nothing the team at your local hardware store can't handle. Google terms: cable protector, cable concealer, cable runway, cord concealer, cord cover

• edith head said:
    We only have 2 outlets in our living room so we have to run extension cords along the wall/floor and what not. It's such an eyesore.

The sight of cords may be an eyesore, but that living room design is not. I have just a single extension cord that runs in the living room, but because it's gray colored it's hardly noticed. But Almond is right. Cable concealor is your best bet. And some department stores can carry them in different colors too.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Loving that wallpaper, girl-friend.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Possibly a nicer variation of something like this? With your artistic touch A of course...

By the way. What are the cables? And how many?

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    take off your baseboard and run them behind it. hopefully you can do this without damaging the wallpaper OR wood. if one or the other gets ruined, buy 14" baseboards and level up.

• Options
    What is this...some kind of designer forum or something?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    DOR said:

they are speaker cables, extension cables and a long cat5 cable because we couldn't figure out how to extend the wifi to the deadspot in the house. i've thought about the plastic tubings cable concealer thing, but since our cables are so thick it would be a big ass one. and i'm not sure what color i should get. brown to try to match it with the hardwood or white for the trim?

is there such a thing/kit you can get to make your existing speakers wireless?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    NorthernDealer10 said:
    What is this...some kind of designer forum or something?

Zip it, sir.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DOR said:
    Possibly a nicer variation of something like this? With your artistic touch A of course...

i would get some 4" wide planks, miter both edges, paint them white, and mount them like little lean-tos for the cables.

the conduit thing might not work with your wallpaper and the width of so many wires.

Possum Tom said:
    DOR said:

i would get some 4" wide planks, miter both edges, paint them white, and mount them like little lean-tos for the cables.

the conduit thing might not work with your wallpaper and the width of so many wires.

The wire variation and how many makes things difficult. What if the conduit was white and running along the floor up against the baseboard? I'd stay away from anything near the wallpaper...

Kinda like these products

http://www.d-line-it.com/flooring.php

http://www.organize.com/cord-protector-concealer-beige.html

Or come up with some gimmick you find appealing. Not this per say... But along the lines.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Throw Rugs and Duct Tape

LOL at the white picket fence. So tacky and cute at the same time. If you're looking for a convo piece...

• amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
    edith head said:

daaaaamn I love your wall paper!!!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DOR said:
    Possum Tom said:
    DOR said:

The wire variation and how many makes things difficult. What if the conduit was white and running along the floor up against the baseboard? I'd stay away from anything near the wallpaper...

Kinda like these products

http://www.d-line-it.com/flooring.php

http://www.organize.com/cord-protector-concealer-beige.html

Or come up with some gimmick you find appealing. Not this per say... But along the lines.

nfnb some truly terrible suggestions here... thats a really nice baseboard and you did a nice job on the edging. you really could just nail in a little miterd blank into the floor transition. really quiet like.

The picket fence was a joke. But when trying to conceal that many wires (Power ext plus 2 speaker and a Cat5?)... Unless you were willing to put in some real work, your options are pretty limited.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Right now, I just use records. And, that wallpaper is gorgeous!

DOR said:
    The picket fence was a joke. But when trying to conceal that many wires (Power ext plus 2 speaker and a Cat5?)... Unless you were willing to put in some real work, your options are pretty limited.

I kind of want some of those pickets now! They'd be good for a kids' room, as long as the kids aren't ripping them off.

DOR said:

these look a lot better the the cable concealers i've seen at the hardware store. thanks! now i need to be creative about reducing the number of cables for each section to use these.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    edith head said:

Looks like one of those All City LA series covers!

*edit*
    Here's your cover if you ever have an all city release!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    You could also hire an electrician and have more outlets put in, but that isn't a cheap fix.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    edith head said:
    is there such a thing/kit you can get to make your existing speakers wireless?

Yup.

It'll set you back between about 60 - 100 bucks.

I reckon if you get one of those (which is a worthwhile investment anyway), then figure out how to extend your wifi to where you want it, you'll only have about 1 cable left to deal with, and that can be tacked to the sideboard and painted the same colour.

B/w

Nice wallpaper

• jonnycubajonnycuba 36 Posts
    Brown D-Line trunking is a good option after getting a sparks in to do the right job ;)

http://s7g1.scene7.com/is/image/BandQ/5060125595343_001c_v001_zp

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I pick these Apple Airport Expresses up on CL for $40-60. They're $100 new.

They extend your wireless network, allow you to hook up your stereo wirelessly to your computer, and you can run a printer on them. Doesn't offer an analog sound solution, though. I have three of them in different rooms and I can turn on/off speakers from my computer and change the volume on them all individually. It's nice for whole house sound. If you're full apple integrated, you can even run the remote app on your iphone/ipod touch and control all your music and speakers from your phone. It's nice when hosting parties.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    CBear said:
    Doesn't offer an analog sound solution, though.

completely separate issue! I'm thinking that records will be a played, and that analogue is a given, no?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I'm just saying that it reduced the number of wires I had to run through my old house. Now I only have speaker wires running which are thin and easily hidden.

CBear said:
    I pick these Apple Airport Expresses up on CL for $40-60. They're $100 new.

They extend your wireless network, allow you to hook up your stereo wirelessly to your computer, and you can run a printer on them. Doesn't offer an analog sound solution, though. I have three of them in different rooms and I can turn on/off speakers from my computer and change the volume on them all individually. It's nice for whole house sound. If you're full apple integrated, you can even run the remote app on your iphone/ipod touch and control all your music and speakers from your phone. It's nice when hosting parties.

yup, i used these for our powered speakers. i do need to find something for passive speakers though