Remixes that are better than the OG.

13»

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Possum Tom said:
    I'm with Harvey far all but shut em down. That is notnonly better than the of, but probably one of the best remixes of all time.

Sayin' though. I didn't think that was even debatable.

Yep, there is a significant wing of rap fandom that says that. Y'all love Pete Rock like he's your actual soul brother #1 and all still own records and are very loud about your feeling on that one. In some ways, y'all are right...EXCEPT that plety could never replace the OG version of Shut em Down, an anthem in many ways with a great video that embedded it onto our brains, with ANY remix of it EVER.

I think it's you and me against the world on this one. But yeah, I've always liked the OG better. That intensity just can't be matched.

I'm with you two, the OG version has that rugged hard funk sound that's way more appropriate to the song than the Pete Rock horn treatment. I love Pete Rock, but this one goes to the Bomb Squad.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    asstro said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Possum Tom said:
    I'm with Harvey far all but shut em down. That is notnonly better than the of, but probably one of the best remixes of all time.

Sayin' though. I didn't think that was even debatable.

Yep, there is a significant wing of rap fandom that says that. Y'all love Pete Rock like he's your actual soul brother #1 and all still own records and are very loud about your feeling on that one. In some ways, y'all are right...EXCEPT that plety could never replace the OG version of Shut em Down, an anthem in many ways with a great video that embedded it onto our brains, with ANY remix of it EVER.

I think it's you and me against the world on this one. But yeah, I've always liked the OG better. That intensity just can't be matched.

I'm with you two, the OG version has that rugged hard funk sound that's way more appropriate to the song than the Pete Rock horn treatment. I love Pete Rock, but this one goes to the Bomb Squad.

For what it's worth, the original wasn't the Bomb Squad. Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black was the first Public Enemy album produced by Imperial Grand Ministers of Funk.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I always liked the Brand Nubian All For One video/remix version w/ the extra back beat and w/out the Guy/Aaron hall sample.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not on youtube...

Saafir - Just Riden
    Ray Luv - In the Game
    Miracle - Bounce

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Roman's Revenge with Lil Wayne
    Get Big with Yo Gotti and them
    Break Up - Lil Wayne/Gudda Gudda/Short Dawg

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Harv, I think the OG Still Tippin is way more awesome than the remake, but the remake still knocks.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    the_dL said:
    buckwild's madizm
    NO

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Maybe the most influential hip-hop remix of all time? Total game changer.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    Chill Rob G - Court Is Now In Session Remix

the promo 12" version

it isnt on youtube

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Unherd said:
    I'll probably get shit on for this one, but fuggit. I personally like it a little better, particularly the arrangement, and I also appreciate that dude didn't fuck with the mix too much. It's still got a classic disco/chic feel, just updated a little.

The OG, of course, is classique too, but this remix has been in mind garden rotation for a couple months.

This right here is banging. I always thought the King Britt version was tops. This beats that out, IMO. Must cop.

• Three of my favourites

• For those familiar with Fat Freddy's Drop

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    This remix had me searching for a Betty Wright record I had 2 copies of for years.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    Deserves to appear on every page of this thread:

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    damms said:

That sample was the intro to Quantic's Off The Beaten Track mix, from an OST that I can't name. Pretty good. I also like the Dabrye remix:

• Junior said:
    I'm tired today and can't be bothered to defend 90s UK music that's one step away from trip hop. Will save it for another thread.

I think I'm about to wander into that territory...

Air remix UK trip hop

One of many stunning Kruder & Dorfmeister remixes from this era

Love their Lamb remix too.

I think this and the Blur one are Cornelius' best remixes from the 1990s.

Probably my favourite remix eva.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Sebastian Haff said:
    Junior said:
    I'm tired today and can't be bothered to defend 90s UK music that's one step away from trip hop. Will save it for another thread.

I think I'm about to wander into that territory...

Air remix UK trip hop

Ha! That was one of the three I put up believe it or not. Turns a pretty standard trip hop lite song into something altogether more gorgeous. Resisting the temptation to totally derail this thread right now....

Edit: Just seen you linked to that Lamb remix as well. I'm beginning to suspect we had very similar record collections 15 years ago.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Junior said:
    I'm beginning to suspect ALIAS

• Junior said:
    Ha! That was one of the three I put up believe it or not. Turns a pretty standard trip hop lite song into something altogether more gorgeous. Resisting the temptation to totally derail this thread right now....

Edit: Just seen you linked to that Lamb remix as well. I'm beginning to suspect we had very similar record collections 15 years ago.

Derail. I think I killed the thread anyway. I'd be interested to see what the other two were.

Two more from me. The Neptunes should have produced a Sade album.

And the Quantic Soul Orchestra remix of Sunshine Anderson

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Schooly D - Skool's Out Mekon/Rhythmes Digitales remix

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Yeah I know alot of my fellow Strutters hate this song blended with (insert here), but this made the OG on the same album pretty forgettable.