Best song of the last decade

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    fckvwls said:
    This thread should just be closed before harvey goes on another southern rap rant. Slow motion, lol.

Yes, fellas, congregate here. Been trying to get y'all all in the same place at once, but Diamond D ain't been putting out anything lately.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    fckvwls said:
    This thread should just be closed before harvey goes on another southern rap rant. Slow motion, lol.

Yes, fellas, congregate here. Been trying to get y'all all in the same place at once, but Diamond D ain't been putting out anything lately.

Hahaha.

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    Lol get over yourself. This whole attitude of everyone disrespecting southern rap and claiming nyc rap as the greatest is overplayed. You invoking it in every thread and then picking something as asinine as slow motion just proves it. And no havent been checking for diamond d since stunts blunts.

fckvwls said:
    Lol get over yourself. This whole attitude of everyone disrespecting southern rap and claiming nyc rap as the greatest is overplayed. You invoking it in every thread and then picking something as asinine as slow motion just proves it. And no havent been checking for diamond d since stunts blunts.

Slow Motion wouldn't be my pick either but I'd put money on it beating out your top 30, easy.

That's what I'm saying, stop playing the sly just sliding by role and explicitly explain to me what's wrong with Slow Motion.

Play it at ANY party...instant jam. What's not to like about it?

Really, this is where you get to verbalize your disdain in actual detail.

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    You didn't just seriously bring Oh No up again?

you see, i did, because of your reaction to someone saying Oh No. Its a terrible pick, but as far as im concerned, so was yours. Who mentioned Diamond D? Its this 'real' music bullshit again, just a flipside of the same coin. Dudes were all about 'real hiphop' ten years ago and are now embarrassed, so they counter it with riding for pretty lackluster club shit, cause thats what "real" (read: people who frequent clubs and do not make extensive use of the internet) people are into. Now, are you that dude? I have no clue. But that dude sucks and is usually a cultural fetishist.

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    Bull ox im assuming you are from the south as well...

StoneHands said:
    HarveyCanal said:

you see, i did, because of your reaction to someone saying Oh No. Its a terrible pick, but as far as im concerned, so was yours. Who mentioned Diamond D? Its this 'real' music bullshit again, just a flipside of the same coin. Dudes were all about 'real hiphop' ten years ago and are now embarrassed, so they counter it with riding for pretty lackluster club shit, cause thats what "real" (read: people who frequent clubs and do not make extensive use of the internet) people are into. Now, are you that dude? I have no clue. But that dude sucks and is usually a cultural fetishist.

No, I just live in a place where Slow Motion makes sense. It's a mystery to me where y'all are from where it doesn't. Plus you want to act like I'm reactionary and then you bring up a term like "cultural fetishist". We just call hoes hoes down here...I don't know what the fuck your term even means.

Look, dudes, you are still tuned in. Now, write your little paragraphs that explain why Slow Motion only deserves an eye roll as if it's not worthy of 800 Stones Throw promo copies mailed but then only 12 copies bought through 600 buddy stores world-wide.

HarveyCanal said:
    StoneHands said:
    HarveyCanal said:

No, I just live in a place where Slow Motion makes sense. It's a mystery to me where y'all are from where it doesn't. Plus you want to act like I'm reactionary and then you bring up a term like "cultural fetishist". We just call hoes hoes down here...I don't know what the fuck your term even means.

Slow Motion made plenty of sense in Toronto. It made sense all over the continent- it was a huge mainstream rap hit. My problem is that, while I, do not have any rooted, emotional disdain for nerds enjoying Madlib B-side compilations, or reading blogs about the making of Illmatic or something, you seem to. Its a group of people enjoying tunes in a way they like. Just like kids enjoy going to clubs and dance to Juvenile songs. Why is one existentially more worthy or real? Its the associations and the people that seem to irk you about Diamond D, surely not Diamond D's music, right? And lemme ask you - do you also ride for LMFAO or Tiesta songs, musically? People also like their hooks and dance to their songs.

StoneHands said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    StoneHands said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Slow Motion made plenty of sense in Toronto. It made sense all over the continent- it was a huge mainstream rap hit. My problem is that, while I, do not have any rooted, emotional disdain for nerds enjoying Madlib B-side compilations, or reading blogs about the making of Illmatic or something, you seem to. Its a group of people enjoying tunes in a way they like. Just like kids enjoy going to clubs and dance to Juvenile songs. Why is one existentially more worthy or real? Its the associations and the people that seem to irk you about Diamond D, surely not Diamond D's music, right? And lemme ask you - do you also ride for LMFAO or Tiesta songs, musically? People also like their hooks and dance to their songs.

Man, I write a nerd blog myself. Otherwise, I don't even know how to respond to your questions.

Oh yeah, because Oh No is wack and Juvenile isn't...proof being, play Slow Motion for Oh No fans and if there are any woman present Oh No fans will at the very least feign liking it. But play Oh No for Juvenile fans and you will get crickets, whether women are present or not. And that's not to say Juvenile fans wouldn't appreciate the artistry...it's just an Oh No track wouldn't have much function for them i.e. it's ultimately boring. And I realize, to each their own, but simply ask around.

StoneHands said:
    Slow Motion made plenty of sense in Toronto. It made sense all over the continent- it was a huge mainstream rap hit. My problem is that, while I, do not have any rooted, emotional disdain for nerds enjoying Madlib B-side compilations, or reading blogs about the making of Illmatic or something, you seem to. Its a group of people enjoying tunes in a way they like. Just like kids enjoy going to clubs and dance to Juvenile songs. Why is one existentially more worthy or real? Its the associations and the people that seem to irk you about Diamond D, surely not Diamond D's music, right?

Nothing wrong with talking about Diamond D as some significant music with regards to the early 90s, just as there's nothing wrong with talking about Juvenile being the same in 2004.

Oh No didn't ever mean shitt in any era, though.

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:
    Oh yeah, because Oh No is wack and Juvenile isn't...proof being, play Slow Motion for Oh No fans and if there are any woman present Oh No fans will at the very least feign liking it. But play Oh No for Juvenile fans and you will get crickets, whether women are present or not. And that's not to say Juvenile fans wouldn't appreciate the artistry...it's just an Oh No track wouldn't have much function for them i.e. it's ultimately boring. And I realize, to each their own, but simply ask around.

This sort of trenchant criticism inspires me to listen to the music being discussed. Really. Gracias!

HarveyCanal said:

so functionality is your measuring stick? I dont get how what you just said makes anything better than anything else. Play a Buzzcocks song to a Juvenile fan, why dont you. Mozart also SUCKS

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Terrible thread

"Slow Motion" is alltime classic

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

My heart, it is half-assed carmel surrounded by wannabe chocolate.

I hate this pronunciation. Two 'a's. Car-a-mel.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I don't think it's possible to find what is the "best" song of the last 10 years, but I like those two :

• vs.

Sorry. Rest in peace to Dilla and Soulja Slim, but Oh No never stood a chance in this debate. Slow Motion for me.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    First time I've ever heard that Oh No track. I'm not here to hate but it boggles the mind that this would be the stand out track for someone from the last decade of released music. Surely Oh No alone has released better stuff than that? Surely?

Anyway, real winner:

Edit: Damn just seen Real Talk, if Trapped In The Closet isn't a viable option then it has to be that.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Lawyer Mike ain't seeing Locomotive Curt...

amazing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Junior said:
    Edit: Damn just seen Real Talk, if Trapped In The Closet isn't a viable option then it has to be that.

Trapped In The Closet works more as a video than as a real song.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    batmon said:
    Junior said:

Trapped In The Closet works more as a video than as a real song.

Yeah that was my concern with nominating it, I see TITC as an Experience rather than a conventional song. Real Talk it is then.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Kindly leave women and Toronto out of this.

The winner is Ying Yang Twins' Wait.

Ask me in two minutes and I'll have another pick.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    was reh dog the last decade?

Amy Winehouse - Rehab

Black & Yellow

Mike Jones - Still Tippin'

Bob Dylan - Ain't Talkin

Ron Sexsmith-Love Shines

so many.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Even stupid Gary (sorry, Gary) came up with a better selection.

No prob.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Even stupid Gary (sorry, Gary) came up with a better selection.

No prob.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    locomotive curt has hot ad libs but dude is mad marble mouthed.

the beat for "she said" is actually really nice.

real talk - amazing. ignition remix is also up there.

sorry - this is more of a list of best songs, and i'm leaving out so many other favorites...

too many hip hop tracks: kurrupt - yessir, pharoahe - broken heart, roc marciano - 4 all the real... or hide my tears, milano - rep for the slums, so many from husalah, tommy gunn - burn it down, megalon - i'm goin out like them, so many by cam, quik/chingy (you heard me) - get down, fixxers - can u werk wit dat, so much neptunes, so much timbaland,

parsley sound - ease yourself and glide

pearson sound - down with you

dream - love vs money 1 & 2

so many by espers

so much late period aaliyah:

this might be my favorite video, and the song is incredible too.

• If you're loving my bark, let me bury my bone
    Slow motion, she's open, I'm hoping she don't leave my dick broken
    But I can't bounce with you without using my hands with it

best of the past ten years?

yeah, but no.