DJ Spinna???s 10 Favorite Sample Flips

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Shout out to the homie Chairman Mao and the whole Egotrip crew. The Egotripland.com website is excellent!

• AndreBretonAndreBreton 344 Posts
    Nice. DJSpinna follows me on twitter. That's my claim to fame.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I appreciate this link, thanks. I had no idea about this. I used to love reading ego trip magazine.
    My Spinna claim to fame, he played my last 45 on DJ Scratch's "All 45" Birthday party. I was (and still am) very honored by that moment.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    thanks for sharing this!

i got to open for him here in DC at U Street Music Hall last summer. best ever.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Mmm, never heard that first Dilla beat Little Brother, but recognised the flip - Pete Rock did something very similar on this record* that was also released in 2000. Pete's manages to capture more of the weird breathing part, and has a more stripped down feel, whereas Dilla (as mentioned in the article) obviously uses more parts from the entire Roy Ayers track. I think I might prefer Pete Rock's flip. Or a blend between the two.

Cool article.

* it's an LP interlude?

...aaaand, regarding the Players flip, Spinna is saying that it's a unique flip because of the way it makes "Claire" sound like "players", but didn't Large Pro do something similar before that for his remix of It Aint Hard To Tell, flipping some Biz Markie sample so it sounded like he was saying "Nas"?

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    well dill withers also made "light up the sky" into "light up the spliff" which was clever-er. but lets face it, no one wants to live on pedant street do they.

i think "ain't nobody care about us" is a really cunning flip, cause the original is a 3 second long fragment of a much longer piece in 3/4. putting it in 4/4 takes real talent.

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    The Pete/Roy Ayers beat was an interlude on the Main Ingredient, I believe.

Showbiz also used it as an interlude on Runaway Slave w/ Fat Joe talking over it ("What's the word? 163rd!").

Funny, this is the 2nd interview I've had w/ a producer w/ in a couple of days making mention of that Dilla beat. Talked to Questlove for this RBMA event a few days earlier in NY & he told a story about being at Dilla's house when he constructed the "Little Brother" beat, patching it together from multiple parts of the "Ain't Got Time" original.

Thnx for posting the link here, Chan.

Duderonomy said:
    Didn't Large Pro do something similar before that for his remix of It Aint Hard To Tell, flipping some Biz Markie sample so it sounded like he was saying "Nas"?

Yeah, that was probably actually the first.

• Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
    maocontent said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Didn't Large Pro do something similar before that for his remix of It Aint Hard To Tell, flipping some Biz Markie sample so it sounded like he was saying "Nas"?

This preceded both of those by a few years:

• Matt AdoreMatt Adore 51 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    well dill withers also made "light up the sky" into "light up the spliff" which was clever-er. but lets face it, no one wants to live on pedant street do they.

i think "ain't nobody care about us" is a really cunning flip, cause the original is a 3 second long fragment of a much longer piece in 3/4. putting it in 4/4 takes real talent.

Agreed. Heard the original track a few years back and noticed that too. Can't remember what it was though. Can you please refresh my memory?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    maocontent said:
    Duderonomy said:

I don't know if this is the track I'm thinking of or not, but I'd like to add that track that uses "Misdeamenor" making it sound like "Just a mystery" to the discussion as well. Really clever. It was on Hear No Evil 1, but my random rap knowledge is lacking and I don't know the name of the song.

Also, I'd like to add that Kanyes Gil-Scott Heron flip for Commons "The people" is really clever.

Mongo_Slade said:

Haha, nice one, M***.

Mjukis said:
    I don't know if this is the track I'm thinking of or not, but I'd like to add that track that uses "Misdeamenor" making it sound like "Just a mystery" to the discussion as well. Really clever. It was on Hear No Evil 1, but my random rap knowledge is lacking and I don't know the name of the song.

Lazy Laz "Mystery" on Bumrush. Yup, another good one.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

I prefer how transformed Rodriguez "sugarman" into "you're the man". So dope!