Anyone Ever Have A Friend Like This?

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
you've known them forever. you know exactly who they really are. and you watch them interact with other people outside your circle and they switch up their whole demeanor.

one of my close friends took up photography about a year ago. through being a ball buster has gotten to shoot a lot of shows. his photos are everywhere. etc.

he doesn't get paid a dime yet. i guess its for fun. but the more i think about it the more i think he just wants to hang out with famous people.

he's a scrawny white kid who all of a sudden is on twitter saying "my N#^#^ " and "i'ma finna do this" and shit like that.

he has bailed out on me several times to go "shoot". he has shot the same group tons of times. travels to shoot for them without getting paid. yet if i had a blow out on the highway a mile away he'd be like "oh man nah i cant go out right now"

it hurts to see it happen. he calls every celebrity he hangs out with his "friend". but at the end of the day i know who is real friends are and he doesn't even.

he tells people "oh that's my friend" "oh he's one of my best friends" and even his girl is like "just be happy for his success" but its not about his success. its about his blatant disregard for anyone who isn't "cool"

if he was successful he would get paid no? he is constantly telling people is a professional photographer, flying on his own dime across the country to shoot a show but won't walk down the hallway to help me try to break into my apartment when the lock is fucked up haha

lost cause? any one here have people like this who are so infatuated with the spotlight (excuse me infatuated with the people who are in the spotlight) that nothing else matters.

complaining about not being back at his house at midnight but if its with cats like this he will go home at 6 am without blinking an eye

i've explained it to him and he just gets mad and act like "nah dude its my job"

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I find that folks who come from places without stars are prone to be starstruck.

fuck an actor

• indyindy 58 Posts
    not a friend

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Sounds like dude is shallow and has found some other shallow people to hang with.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    it's just funny because he was a dude who never went out. would just sit home all day. couldn't talk to people. started living behind a camera and now he's mr. outgoing. it's funny cuz i watch him online talking to people like they're cool but they barely respond. but he just doesn't get it. it's kind of sad.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    indy said:
    not a friend

^^^This^^^

Aquaintances are plentiful.....friends are raer.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you're such a great friend, instead of being such a hatter, why not just be happy that dude is making something of himself and seems to be happy.

Okem said:
    If you're such a great friend, instead of being such a hatter, why not just be happy that dude is making something of himself and seems to be happy.

i think you shouldn't of hated on reading comprehension

yo Batmon you got over 21k posts haha. mind melting

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    maybe dude just needs to get shit of of his system.
    friends..some stay the same ..some change, some change back after the the change.

You dont what goes on inside a persons head, maybe he feels a deep need to be succesfull in that way, and thats the way he does it.. and thinks you and others will understand thats he's trying to get in some certain type a surroundings for ewhatever reason..
    I think if he;s your good friend, than try and cut him some slack and let him do his thing, and maybe he realizes he's being uncool to you and other friends..and maybe not..
    just let him know, let it flow, and give it some time.

even a very very good friend, can do stupid things.. everybody is different in their ways..
    times and life affect a person, a person cant stay the same for ever, sometimes a dude goes on a strange path ..to return again after ..

you've been friends for a longtime..thats not easy, thats rare.

one

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    behemoth said:
    Okem said:

i think you shouldn't of hated on reading comprehension
    Nah

Mad jelly.

I'm sure dude is as much of a douche as you say he is. But you still hating. First he was too shy and antisocial, now u mad cause he's trying to put himself out there.

Give him some Yeezy to listen too, and stop trying to act like dudes dad.

Jamal said:
    friends..some stay the same ..some change, some change back after the the change.

You dont what goes on inside a persons head, maybe he feels a deep need to be succesfull in that way, and thats the way he does it.. and thinks you and others will understand thats he's trying to get in some certain type a surroundings for ewhatever reason..
    I think if he;s your good friend, than try and cut him some slack and let him do his thing, and maybe he realizes he's being uncool to you and other friends..and maybe not..

even a very very good friend, can do stupid things.. everybody is different in their ways..

one

its true. i have backed off. and kind of not spoke to him in a minute to let him do his thing and i barely hear from him anymore haha. again, i was just venting. i am an adult who knows who his friends are. it just sucks to see it happen. dude forgot to our mutual best friend a happy birthday but wished a member of a rap group one. OOF

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    behemoth said:
    Jamal said:

one

its true. i have backed off. and kind of not spoke to him in a minute to let him do his thing and i barely hear from him anymore haha. again, i was just venting. i am an adult who knows who his friends are. it just sucks to see it happen. dude forgot to our mutual best friend a happy birthday but wished a member of a rap group one. OOF

yeah man, it sucks..
    sometimes i guess its like having a good girl at home, but having the need to cut loose and mess with a dirty girl.. only to realize after that it was just a mindbubble..

one

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yeah let him breathe and figure the shit out. folks grow and evolve. if yall are true buddies time will tell.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    And, if you're counting Facebook happy birthday wishes (and I don't know that you are) don't. I'd never write on a real friends "wall" for any of that schitt.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    This sort of happened to me when I was 20 and first moved to LA (CA). Within a week or two I began dating a model for a very popular magazine and suddenly (I didn't realize it yet) became a borderline starfucker/douchebag. Thankfully enough of my bay area people (including my parents) told me I was turning into a shallow piece of shit and I corrected the problem eventually. If you know deep down that he's a good dude he'll probably come around sooner or later. Let him have his fun for now, he'll most likely get burned at some point and gain some perspective about who his real friends are.

• Many people use the term "friend" or "best friend" way too loosely. Let him do his thing and let him figure it out. It's cool that he started to go out and meet people but eventually he will probably figure out who his real friends are.

I think a lot of photographers would travel all over at their own expense if they can get exclusive access to behind the scenes etc. Especially, when trying to make a name for one self of course. A photograher can sell the photos that they shot and make money that way.

A lot of people are like your friend. They will tell you that they do this-and-that but actually they make their money working in a bar.

Dress

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Social climbers are the worst. These people are made of nothing and they are not anyone's friends.

That brass ring is like crack rock and motherfuckers will spend their God given life trying to get it.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    how old is he?

• Options
    Keep it up, bro. Stand by virtues and roll with it.

You're doing good by caring.

Woimsah said:
    how old is he?

almost 30

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    behemoth said:
    Woimsah said:
    how old is he?

almost 30

ooh -- hmm.

Ya I was going to say that this was the case for a lot of folks I knew when I was 21 or so - lasted till mid to late 20s, then just stopped. There's remnants of douche on some of them, but more or less has disappeared.

well, if he was your friend at one point and was a good dude, maybe he'll come around at some point in the near future.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sounds like you don't have any cokehead friends to have gotten you used to this kinda bs already.

HarveyCanal said:
    Sounds like you don't have any cokehead friends to have gotten you used to this kinda bs already.

i never really hung out with my friends who got heavy into drugs. watching them lay around or bug out was boring.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    link his twitter or gtfo

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Social climbers are the worst. These people are made of nothing and they are not anyone's friends.

hahaha. i cosign, although a little less extremely.
    ive had a handful of people like this cross through my life. some who i thought i would be tight with for a long ass time. but they come and go. i cant really dis folks for being ambitious or trying to be 'where its at'...all you can do is wish them well and not waste anymore time on them or the asskissing scene. i agree with those saying that people change and change back again. you gotta appreciate friendly moments that you have with anyone, but realize it may just be that moment.

and i maintain that its always worth finding out which of your acquaintances will NOT be there for you when you need them. thats some valuable information

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    The thing is, if he spent a lot of time by himself before, learning these types of networking vs friendship lessons will naturally be delayed. I would have guessed he was "almost 30" based on that alone.

His work sounds exhausting, tbh. If he wasn't a natural "social butterfly" before, then all that interaction is probably more taxing than anything.