L.A. Noire

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Wasnt planning on buying it - but this review made me cop it.

Anyone else digging it?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    after many hours of red dead redemption i chose to pass, even if i love noir shit.

it does look cool but something held me back from jumpin at it.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    i want a proper max payne 3..the stuff that i saw from it wasnt max payne at all..thank you rockstar!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I bought it tuesday but haven't had time to play yet. I've heard nothing but good stuff.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I thought it was disappointing. It's not a true free-roaming game, which makes the idea of recreating 1940s L.A. within 90% accuracy kind of pointless. And the detection/interrogation process can become extremely tedious, as can the gratuitous chase sequences. It's worth a rental, but hold off on buying it new.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    staxwax said:

Great great design, amazing facial and character animation - the lead character is unmistakably Mad Mens' Aaron Staton.

I've always wanted a game where Kenny Cosgrove is a playable character.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I was OK with GTA, not a fan of Red Dead Redemption, but still copped L A Noire to see what the fuss about this motion capturing fuss is all about. After a few hours methinks this game is on the "meh" side...

The evidence collection and examination thing is just a step above those CSI games, and...

The whole "lie, Doubt, truth" interrogation system is a joke. It's cute the first couple of times, but after a while I just get sick of the overacting gesture to let you know the object is either lying or telling partial truth.

I guess police procedural is better seen than played, or perhaps I should give it more time to sink in?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    sno said:
    perhaps I should give it more time to sink in?

After playing for about two hours a day for the first few days I realized not only that had I seen pretty much everything there was to see, but that I was already tired of most of it. Too much hand-holding while looking for clues, everyone runs (guaranteeing at least 2-3 chases per case), and the interrogations are all fairly interchangeable. The only things that differ are the specific pieces of evidence used. And even then they're sometimes exactly the same (I know that last part somewhat relates to the plot, but I can't work up enough interest to find out where it leads).

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's probably worth pointing out that although this game is published by Rockstar it's not an in-house development by them. As far as I know the game was developed by Team Bondi and picked up by Rockstar while already in development so while there are definitely signs of Rockstar's involvement in this it shouldn't be seen as a sandbox title like GTA or Red Dead.

Having said that though I do think the game is even more linear than I expected and that there are a fair few moments that feel like a real missed opportunity - why have such a vividly recreated city if you can't actually interact with it beyond 40 agreed "street crimes"? Loved the first part of it and was happy to accept that it was more procedural than action based so stuff like jumping, climbing, etc was all automated but now 10 cases in and feeling rather wearied by the repetitious nature of the last few homicides. It's got to the point where I basically know what's going to happen before I even get to the suspect's house and some of the interviewing isn't as clear as it possibly should be.

Still, going to stick with it and see if it picks up again in the second half and at the every least will get enjoyment from playing the spot-the-actor game.

Oh yeah, Max Payne 3 is still in development by the way, first screenshots are starting to get leaked.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I guess its just a thing where you either get into the whole vibe, or not - but the gameplay criticisms are definitely fair - the game leans heavily on the writing and plot. its very straightforward - i have to say im enjoying the hell out of it. Its like a raymond chandler adventure book with oodles of style.

At this point id rather try something experimental or a little different, like LA Noire, than another installment of GTA, which by the last one has become a little too predictable a format imo (albeit still very enjoyable) - next Id like to see a next level gta installment set in historically acurate late 19th century New York, Gangs of New York style.

Oh yeah no argument here on that. Being the kind of obsessive character that I am I'd read enough about the game before picking it up to know that it wasn't going to be the kind of free roaming experience that some of the shorter trailers suggested (though to be fair to Rockstar I think they've been pretty upfront both on what the game entails and that it's made by Team Bondi). I love the atmosphere, the soundtrack, the attention to detail and a lot of the dialogue and characters.

It's just that [SPOILER FOR THOSE NOT UP TO CASE 10] I'm at the point of finding my third or fourth Black Dahlia style murder and I already know that I'm going to have to go interview the husband, my partner will think he's guilty, someone will do a runner and I'll chase them and then, regardless of how much i cock up the final interview, someone will get put away [/SPOILER FOR THOSE NOT UP TO CASE 10].

Don't get me wrong as I am enjoying the game and definitely feel like this genre needs a big kick up the arse but can't help feeling that with a bit more variety this could have been jaw dropping. Probably as much to do with the hype than anything though.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Man.. I was all excited about getting this. Then play.com cancelled my pre-order cause of a card issue, so I'm still waiting on delivery. Now I'm getting grippers remorse before I've even seen the damn thing.

Hey it's not a bad game at all in fact, so far at least, I'd say it's a good game. If a LoveFIlm copy hadn't popped through the door Saturday morning when I was on my way to buy it I'd have picked it up full price and had no remorse. I think my disappointment is probably in part to the typically insane over hype from many reviewers who have overlooked mentioning some pretty noticeable flaws in the game rather than saying "Hey this is pretty stupid but it's not enough to stop you enjoying it" etc.

If you go into it expecting a kind of twist on an adventure game rather than a full on sandbox open world title I think you'll get some decent fun out of it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Only played one case so far but I thought it was pretty cool. Decent graphics and really great atmosphere and music. Guess it's somewhat surprising that you can't do whatever you want like in Grand Theft Auto, but it makes sense; can't have some loose cannon, Bad Lieutenant type using his badge to score drugs and young girls.

I am probably going to take off some of the hint functions to make it more difficult to find the clues. Seems kind of easy if the controller vibrates every time you're close to something you need to see. As a kid, I played these old-school procedurals called Police Quest, where you had to type everything and play it strictly by the book. It was so serious that if you didn't walk around your car every time you drove it, you would get a flat tire. If you didn't put your gun in a locker at jail, your prisoner would grab it and shoot you. So L.A. Noire seems like it's going to be perfect for me.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    BTW, Twoply, did you delete me as a friend on the Playstation network?

Is there a Multi-player option?

The online posse option in Red Dead Redemption was one of my greatest exp in my video game history.

Nope no multiplayer and to be honest I don't think it would work in this game as the action elements of the game are not really the meat and potatoes of the experience (you can even choose to skip the action there is in there).

There's a PS3 exclusive Rockstar in-house developed game called Agent which has apparently been in development for a long while now which will probably be more along the lines of a proper sandbox game and have the required multiplayer component. There's been no official news on it in over a year but considering how Rockstar work (keep it under wraps until it's near completion) that's not necessarily a bad thing.

As for L.A. Noire, having finally made it through Homicide and past the half way mark I'll stick with my previous assessment of it though say that I am also enjoying it and will definitely be playing it to completion.

I imagine the over story once its done will be excellent.

I have my doubts to be honest. They begin introducing flashbacks very early on and without wanting to spoil it for white_tea I immediately got a sinking feeling about what the overall story arc was going to be. Hoping I'm wrong though. Can't be said enough how brilliant the atmosphere is though, they nailed it as much as any game I've played.