PRICE/INFO CHECK-V/A-JAZZ BEHIND THE DIKES-DUTCH JAZZ-ORIG EPIC

esskayesskay 221 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Found the late '50's or early '60's LP "Jazz Behind The Dikes" today-Epic LN 3270/Yellow & Black label/Deepgroove. It's a various artists Dutch modern jazz compilation with groups: The Wessel Ilcken Combo, The Frans Elsen Quartet, The Rob Madna Trio, The Herman Schoonderwalt Septet, & The Tony Vos Quartet. No info in the usual places on the internet. I am normally pretty good on original jazz LP prices. Funny title. Any idea on rarity/value?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    can I get a ruling on the ALLCAPS-worthiness of this thread?

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Sorry SOUL I mean soul

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I know nothing about this record or the groups.

If I saw it I would pass. VA don't sell and it looks like Dutch Dixieland revival to me. Any versions of Muskrat Ramble on there?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    $20, if you can find somebody who wants it.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    $20, if you can find somebody who wants it.
    If my memory serves me correct there is a Dutch (pressed) series (vol. 1 and 2) that could fetch some $ in the same region, should apply for this pressing too, so cosign on the quote above. Maybe the Dutchies on this board know?

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    There are three albums (one 10" and 2 LP's if I'm not mistaken) in the Jazz Behind The Dikes series. It's not Dutch Dixieland Revival, but a series of recordings from the best modern jazz groups in The Netherlands at the time. The original albums are sought after, but there are a few (european printed) compilations with a selection of those songs available (a box set and a double LP set - see popsike and ebay), so I don't think that this one 'd be worth a lot of money, as there are plenty other ways to score those tracks.

@laserwolf "VA don't sell" is not always true, as there are a lot of european jazz comps like these that consist of songs that weren't released on other lp's or 7"s.