Complex/Noz's Top50 NOLA rap songs

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
http://www.complex.com/music/2011/05/the-50-best-new-orleans-rap-songs/#gallery

Actually took the time to make my computer freak out and clicked through this one.

First off, great amount of research went into this, especially for someone not from NOLA. So props for daze on that and shining light on the NOLA scene.

Something that really stands out though...is that the biggest NOLA rap song EVER, the one you hear the most when in NOLA...DJ Jubilee's Get Ready Ready...evidently didn't even crack the list AT ALL.

Then there's MC Thick's Marrero that's missing as well. As someone from the Westbank, I would've liked to see that one as well as something by the Ruthless Juveniles. At least, a different cut by DJ Jubilee (woulda liked to have seen Westbank Showdown as well though), a cut by Choppa (albeit ranked far too low) and a cut from Baby Boy did make the list, so there's at least a lil Westbank love on there.

Another good one left out is Kilo's The Ward Song. And I woulda included Big Mike's Southern Thang as well. And while there are 2 songs from Mystikal's Big Boy album included, the sheer atomic impact of that album when it came out in NOLA is for the most part lost via the list. And while I really like Fiend's Greatest MF Alive...something from his 2nd album mighta been a better choice.

Granted, these are just my opinions...so take them how you want them.

And again, great job on the list as it stands. As one other dude's opinion, I'm definitely glad it was published.

Comments

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Marrero is THE SHIT.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i was also really impressed that it was as thorough as it was. Noz has always had a soft spot for + lots of knowledge about NOLA rap, so i guess i'm not too surprised, but it's still a pleasure to have an out-of-towner do such a good job with it.

Noz: good job man.

"Get It Ready, Ready" is definitely the biggest omission in my opinion. Barely any of the songs on the list are more widely known in New Orleans--white/black, young/old, uptown/downtown/suburbs--everybody knows that track and gets down to it still to this day.

i was also surprised "Marrero" wasn't on there since it was such a big Westbank anthem, and i was also surprised that MC J Ro J's "Let's Jump" didn't make the list, since it was so influential in building the brass band/rap combo that became so widely used, and was such a unique aspect of NOLA rap.

i would've put PxMxWx on the list because of how much they popularized weed in local rap.

i would've put Katey Red's "Melpomene Block Party (Punk Under Pressure)" on the list because it was such a rallying cry for the lgbt community in hip-hop.

i would've put "Get the Gat" higher on the list--that phrase became so ubiquitous in NOLA hip-hop.

"Where They At" was the obvious #1.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Yeah I sincerely had no idea that "Get Ready, Get Ready" was that ubiquitous. Or, at least, significantly more so than "Jubilee All." Oh well. Carpetbaggeur's choice fail.

"Marrero" was on the original short list and I think it ended up getting cut for space reasons. I did make a point to mention it in the Baby Boy write up, which I know is only a small concession.

I love "Let's Jump" but was it really that big? I was always under the impression it was a weird little underground record that, though prescient, never really caught on hugely.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    http://www.complex.com/music/2011/05/the-50-best-new-orleans-rap-songs/#gallery

Something that really stands out though...is that the biggest NOLA rap song EVER, the one you hear the most when in NOLA...DJ Jubilee's Get Ready Ready...evidently didn't even crack the list AT ALL.

get ready ready used to get a ridiculous amount of play on dallas radio back in the day.