Which musician's life would you like to see a movie made out of?

Comments

• Options
    J i m s t e r said:
    Amy Winehouse

Please no.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Johnny Pacheco
    a real hector lavoe
    Tenorio Jr
    Caetano
    That JUICE crew movie

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Johnny Guitar Watson

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    ^^^

I think it would make a crazy flick:
    cool 50s/60s stuff
    the "pimp" years
    fallin off in the 80s
    talkin shit to Herb Alpert
    smoking crack with Marvin
    his ladys drug connection with the Ojays
    and then eventually DYING ON STAGE

what a movie

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cyril Neville.

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    Donnie & Joe Emerson (with broad artistic freedom)

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Justin Bieber

wait...

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Sly and the family.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    phyliss hyman

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    trane....
    denzel...

sayin....

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm with Frank in finding most biopics lacking. I also feel like the more iconic the figure, the more distracting and unsatisfying the biopic.

That said, and not that anyone is likely to budget these up, I feel like the right director could do something interesting with some of these people:

Tom Wilson
    Alice Coltrane
    Al Jackson, Jr.
    Black Ark era Lee Scratch Perry

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ernest Franklin

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I skipped this thread at first because these threads tend to be Which Actor Looks Like Your Favorite Dead Musician? threads.

I like music bio pics even though they suck in many ways. Benny Goodman, Richie Valens, Loretta Lynn, I like all them movies.

The ones that are artistically pleasing tell one dramatic moment in an artists life. Like that movie from a few years ago about John Lennon and his relationship with Stuart Suttcliff. Backbeat it was called. I also liked Across The Universe. So bio pics that leave the musician out all together are good too.

A Sam Cooke movie that was about his move from gospel to secular, or about his last night on earth, would be much better than the story of his entire life in 2.5 hours.

Or how about a movie about Metallica going through couples counseling?

All that said, I want to see, Why Am I Treated So Bad: The Pop Staples Story.

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    I always thought it would be dope to do a "Boogie Nights" -style movie loosely based on The Wrecking Crew (not the Wreckin' Cru - though that could be fresh too) Then I found out yesterday there's a documentary coming out soon on this very subject!

http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/

So, while I'm super stoked to see the doc, I still think it would be awesome to see a high-budg, dramatic re-enactment, 70's period piece as well.

Any financial backers wanna make this happen?

b/w

Awesome soundtrack possibilities

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    On this topic, I saw The Runaways movie last nite. And while it started out promising (wacky Kim Fowley, development of characters) it literally fell apart once the band started getting famous. It was bizarre, it was almost as if they focused really hard on the first part and gave up w/the second part. Anyhoo, I'm in agreement that these type of movies usually 95% of the time suck.

TheKindCromang said:
    I always thought it would be dope to do a "Boogie Nights" -style movie loosely based on The Wrecking Crew (not the Wreckin' Cru - though that could be fresh too) Then I found out yesterday there's a documentary coming out soon on this very subject!

http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/

This has been floating around in some form for quite some time -- I believe it premiered at SXSW in March 2008. If I remember correctly it was made by a family member of one of the Wrecking Crew.

• bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
    Shaun Ryder of The Happy Mondays....expand on what was seen on "24 Hour Party People"

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Clarence Reid

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    No Control was a pretty strong music biopic IMO

• chasechase 767 Posts
    Zappa, I have always wanted to know more about him, without having to do all that pesky reading

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    I liked Telstar, the Joe Meek one, still haven't caught the Serge one.

I'd definitely check out a Delia Derbyshire film

• carlos santana.

i think playing woodstock and having early success to having such a long period before a comeback would make a good story

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I guess in theory, it could be done right but what makes it so difficult is probably that for such a movie to be successful, you have to find a compromise between focusing on detail and authenticity versus delivering a conventional storyline that will satisfy your regular audience with only superficial knowledge or even interest in the subject at hand. I just can't for the life of me remember ever having watched a musician biopic that was truly satisfying. Maybe halfway entertaining but never more than that.

I don't think I'm ever going to bother with the Serge Gainsbourg movie... this one can only be horrible. Who could be Serge besides Serge himself. There's also no real need for a movie, he's lived such a public life, there has got to be days worth of incredible tv footage, filmed live shows, movies, all those music videos...

All this being said, I'd love to see a biopic of Kiki Gyan. He came to fame as Osibisa's keyboarder at only 16 years of age and has been playing with various local Ghanaian bands since his early teens. In the late 70s, after leaving Osibisa, he played with Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and others, being hailed one of the top keyboardists worldwide. He then became the kingpin of the Nigerian disco scene with the KG Band ("disco train") and put out several successful solo records. He lived in Lagos but also had a house in Amsterdam and dubious connections to an infamous cocaine trafficker and various drug lords of the era. From a poor childhood to teenage millionaire and of course he then lost it all... sick and homeless, he eventually became a sad and tragic figure roaming the streets of Accra and Kumasi, having been abandoned by family and friends. At last, he found shelter in a church where he died in 2004 exactly one hour shy of his 47th birthday. I've heard so many stories about this man and his life would make an incredible movie.

Check out this obituary: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/entertainment/artikel.php?ID=59540

Oh yeah and that Runaways flick was painful to watch, what a failure and what a waste. Could have been so much fun but instead I had to cringe so hard, it left me constipated for days.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:

You're right, damn... how could I have forgotten about this one.
    So it can be done after all.

Frank said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

you guys are talking about Control (Joy Division), right? I had a chip on my shoulder while watching it, but it's lingered with me very positively ever since. The Joy Division documentary from the same year was also exceptional, I thought.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    onetet said:
    Frank said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

you guys are talking about Control (Joy Division), right? I had a chip on my shoulder while watching it, but it's lingered with me very positively ever since. The Joy Division documentary from the same year was also exceptional, I thought.

At least that's what I was talking about... I've never been a big fan although always enjoyed their music so this probably helped. I guess if you're a fan you'll always have a chip on your shoulder when watching a biopic. I just netflixed the documentary, thanx for the suggestion.

Frank said:
    onetet said:
    Frank said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

At least that's what I was talking about... I've never been a big fan although always enjoyed their music so this probably helped. I guess if you're a fan you'll always have a chip on your shoulder when watching a biopic. I just netflixed the documentary, thanx for the suggestion.

hope you enjoy. it's slick, but very thoughtful and well-made IMO.

Actually, both films made me appreciate Joy Division much more than in the past, I never would've called myself a fan. I walk into most biopics and even most period pieces with a chip on my shoulder, I guess.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Havent watched control (i think)
    What about Krush Groove?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Frank said:

All this being said, I'd love to see a biopic of Kiki Gyan. He came to fame as Osibisa's keyboarder at only 16 years of age and has been playing with various local Ghanaian bands since his early teens. In the late 70s, after leaving Osibisa, he played with Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and others, being hailed one of the top keyboardists worldwide. He then became the kingpin of the Nigerian disco scene with the KG Band ("disco train") and put out several successful solo records. He lived in Lagos but also had a house in Amsterdam and dubious connections to an infamous cocaine trafficker and various drug lords of the era. From a poor childhood to teenage millionaire and of course he then lost it all... sick and homeless, he eventually became a sad and tragic figure roaming the streets of Accra and Kumasi, having been abandoned by family and friends. At last, he found shelter in a church where he died in 2004 exactly one hour shy of his 47th birthday. I've heard so many stories about this man and his life would make an incredible movie.

Damn son, i have never even heard of the dude..def would make a great movie or documentary.