Tulum, MX non-tourista gringo recommendations

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Just got here yesterday and I'm a little overwhelmed with possible things to do. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of things a little off the map? I have a car. So far sitting on the beach is just fine, but I have another 5 days to go.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Cozumel day trip!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I heard Cozumel is the best spot around for S.C.U.B.A
    I think I'd rather jump out of a plane with a sheet tied to my backpack.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    Just got here yesterday and I'm a little overwhelmed with possible things to do. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of things a little off the map? I have a car. So far sitting on the beach is just fine, but I have another 5 days to go.

Perhaps this falls on the tourista side of things, but you could check out the spider monkeys in the jungle around Punta Laguna. It's northwest of Tulum out past the Coba ruins.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Chichen Itza is worth a day trip if you don't think you'll be back there. world class archeological site. then again, the Tulum ruins are pretty great, too. Yucatan has some of the best beaches I've seen, also.

I realize "beaches-and-ruins" is not exactly a groundbreaking itinerary suggestion, but....

• chaschas 45 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Chichen Itza is worth a day trip if you don't think you'll be back there. world class archeological site. then again, the Tulum ruins are pretty great, too. Yucatan has some of the best beaches I've seen, also.

I realize "beaches-and-ruins" is not exactly a groundbreaking itinerary suggestion, but....
    Lurker here checking in...

Definitely go to Chichen Itza. While you're out driving around, hit up a cenote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenote. My wife and I went to Cenote X'keken while we were driving back to the coast from Chichen Itza. Yucatan is one of the only places in the world to experience this and it's dope as hell. Enjoy it down there!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Tom what hotel are you staying at?

• bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
    Try not losing your head....

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    y i remember chichen itza and tulum from my youth...i must have been 8 years old! also unforgettable was the "dwarf" temple at Uxmal. maaaan, some touristy shit is touristy for good reason. have a great time!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    You could check out some cenotes or go on a river cruise through the reserve:
    http://cesiak.org/allday.htm
    This place is really about preservation and not about a girl in a mayanesque outfit riding a dolophin.

Rent some bikes and cruise down to the public beach outside of town, crack open some coconuts, bring some grill food, it's somewhere around here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr;=&daddr=20.142661,-87.46027&hl=en&geocode;=&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=13&sll=20.1288,-87.426281&sspn=0.080749,0.147629&ie=UTF8&ll=20.121036,-87.46686&spn=0.002544,0.004613&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=20.121036,-87.46686&panoid=IYRjNcb4BbgxIYp_6Tv_pg&cbp=12,46.69,,0,7.33

There are some decent drumming groups and musicians in the area.

Love it out there, and if you like licorice flavored aperitifs, Xtabentun is a must try, $7 a bottle or so at supermercado san francisco.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Go swim in some cenotes!!! beautiful caves and fresh water lakes and ponds. There are several within 10 minutes of Tulum- some cool diver dude on the main street drove us around all day for cheap. Also, check out Akumal- beautiful lagoon that runs into the ocean full of fish and you can swim the ocean for great sea-turtle sightings.

Ive swam with some big ass turtles in Akumal.

plus depending on when you go you may even be able to help the little guys into the water from the nests.

I know you're not supposed to do that, but...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Tet

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Staying at Anna y jose, Cosmo. It's banging. I know you're supposed to rough it down here, but my cityslickin ass needs to sleep in some ac. Fuck all that glorified camping.
    We stayed at coqui coqui the first 2 nights.

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all. Keep em coming.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all. Keep em coming.

You are in one of the most amazing parts of the world for archaeology / cultural heritage sites. Try to find an old-timer who used to assist in archaeological digs in the area and pay them to show you the real. Pay them not to offer you looted objects.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    est find of the trip so far was this pescadaria called el camello. The owner runs the fishin business down here. We'll be eating there as much as possible.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Everyone talks shit about don cafetos, but you need to taste their verduras en escabeche with a maragrita or something.
    The craziest version I had in my whole trip through central america.

I would also suggest you buy yourself a double woven merida made hammock while you are there. Most comfortable and well made hammock you can buy, make sure to get a double (2 person) or Family and make sure it's double woven. IF you are going to be leaving the hammock in the rain at all, get one made with poly instead of cotton.

I haver heard about that fish dude, nice!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Sshh msn so jealous -- was there in March, place was amazing.

I was going to tell you to hit Coqui Coqui for a massage in the upstairs, but saw you already stayed there. My lady and I got couples massages up there, shit was amazing.

There really isn't anything to do other than mellow out, I was asleep every night by 11:30 at the latest. Other than trying the restaurants, I don't have much to recommend. We stayed at Nueva Vida which we loved. I recommend the breakfast there at Casa Banana across the street.. The other restaurant we loved was the one that's mainly outdoors and has the menu written on the wall - names escaping me though, lots of candles and indoor cool old furniture used for outdoor sitting.. Such a great atmosphere -- food was dope too. The Italian restaurant, it might even be in your hotel, is supposed to be amazing as well.

There's one newer restaurant that came very highly recommended that's in the town -- I'm sure you've had it recommended to you to. Sorry all the names are escaping me, but if you near of a newer restaurant in the town, stay the hell away - that shit is garbage. There is, however, another new modern restaurant on the strip of hotels sort of by your hotel that's owned by a New York chef that's supposed to be quite good.

We went to one of the cenotes -- thought it was overrated personally.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Akumel was great! Snuck up on a 4-5 foot baracuda. What a scary looking fish. I take back what I said about that pescaderia. My body did an emergency return on the ceviche this afternoon. Maybe that's what I get for eating a gang of shellfish on the street in mexico.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    BUMP!!

Just got back from Tulum yesterday. Such a good vacation spot, highly recommend it for those looking to take a trip in Mexico. Did the whole cenote/cave swimming thing. Checked out Tulum ruins and spent a good amount of time at the beach.

civeche there is off the chains too.

woke up a mexican monkey

I'm heading to Belize in August, which from what I understand is basically Yucatan south (same basic Mayan Riviera terrain, but English spoken). Pretty psyched.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Delay said:
    est find of the trip so far was this pescadaria called el camello. The owner runs the fishin business down here. We'll be eating there as much as possible.

i couldn't second this more. if you go to Tulum, DEFINITELY go to El Camello. seafood i had was ridiculously good, ridiculously cheap, and it's a fun place to hang.