Lil B is GAY

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    Mjukis said:
    Junior is one of the struts most underrated poasters......He's...on my "Strutters you'd like to meet"-list.

Yep. I am a fan.

Pshht. I been had Junior fandom. I liked him when he was underground.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    pcmr said:

This

"exempt because people are afraid of the backlash? The inevitable claim that detractors are being racist, or the brush-off that not ???getting it??? would indicate that you???re ???old??? (or a faggot)?"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    pcmr said:

This

"exempt because people are afraid of the backlash? The inevitable claim that detractors are being racist, or the brush-off that not ???getting it??? would indicate that you???re ???old??? (or a faggot)?"

This would hold a hell of a lot more water if rap wasn't as demonized and criticized as it is.

• Options
    bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:
    pcmr said:

This

This would hold a hell of a lot more water if rap wasn't as demonized and criticized as it is.

The comment is meant in the context of criticism within the arts/entertainment community, not from other spheres.

Yea, I read the T&S piece.
    My post still applies.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    did her crusade against homophobia/misogyny in rap start when she read about tyler in pitchfork
    I don't really like OF and i am firmly against any kind of homophobia/misogyny even in jest
    but i mean
    rap contains offensive lyrical content!...I for one am shocked...what does Tipper Gore think?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bassie said:
    Yea, I read the T&S piece.
    My post still applies.
    Interesting. While I'm not trying to get into the extent to which I think this is right or wrong, it seems to me that within the contexts of the music industry and the music press, rap gets jocked pretty roundly.

I think there is more ink spilled and air time given to all the social ills rap contributes to and its general shortcomings and faults - like quality and lyrical content - than other genres.
    In music mags, blogs, forums like SStrut, etc.

2nd edit - so to round it back, I don't agree with the assessment that there is a backlash substantial enough to prevent people from speaking out against Tyler, etc.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    People aren't speaking up about Tyler because: why would anyone expect a rowdy kid who eats mixed drugs out of a blender along with giant beetles to be politically correct?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    are people really checking for lil b? dude is embarrassingly bad at rapping.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:
    pcmr said:

This

The comment is meant in the context of criticism within the arts/entertainment community, not from other spheres.

LOL @ the idea that they belong to any community that gives them credibility when speaking on rap music

faux_rillz said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:
    pcmr said:

This

LOL @ the idea that they belong to any community that gives them credibility when speaking on rap music

I doubt you belong to any "community" that would give you credibility when speaking about Country music but that doesn't mean you couldn't rightfully recognize a Johnny Reb record as offensive.

• Options
    faux_rillz said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:
    pcmr said:

This

I doubt you belong to any "community" that would give you credibility when speaking about Country music but that doesn't mean you couldn't rightfully recognize a Johnny Reb record as offensive.

I don't know. I've been told "Yankees" have no business criticizing Southerners about such things.

Don't worry.....dude's not a Yankee.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    LMD was banned (exactly when I think I missed)?

Now he is back in the form of NomoreGarciaparra?

Does this mean we shouldn't ban people because it only encourages them?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    what is LMD?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    lil wayne drops a 'faggot' in one of the more popular radio tunes of the last 4 months. yet T or S or whichever, decides to write an open letter to tyler the creator? a guy who is going to sell like 15k records? whats the point? take on someone much more important to pop culture if you are trying to make a point. just seems stupid.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    what is LMD?

LarryMo

great name this time

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    who?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:
    pcmr said:

This

You're an illiterate

My comment was directed at the idea that there is such a thing as a common "arts/entertainment community" that both Tyler and Teagan belong to

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    hahaaha

faux_rillz said:

You're an illiterate

My comment was directed at the idea that there is such a thing as a common "arts/entertainment community" that both Tyler and Teagan belong to

Yep....and my response was that you don't need to be part of a specific "community" in order to recognize something that offends you.

P.S.....I can't even spell illiterate

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    what is LMD?

isn't this nomoregarcia loser just another annoying incarnation of that troll bobdesperado/larrymoejeeezus/pelvicmust etc...?

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    bassie said:
    I think there is more ink spilled and air time given to all the social ills rap contributes to and its general shortcomings and faults - like quality and lyrical content - than other genres.

2nd edit - so to round it back, I don't agree with the assessment that there is a backlash substantial enough to prevent people from speaking out against Tyler, etc.

it's definitely a "moral panic" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic and obviously rap has a long history of those, going all the way to gangsta rap, 2 live crew, public enemy, so in one way it feels right to get defensive of rap artists in these situations, since so many things get blamed on rap music. (although perhaps just as much on violent films and video games etc).

However i do think that it's a very good thing in 2011 that people are criticizing casual homophobia, because there is just so much of it about, and particularly in rap music. And it's not like people are even criticising "rap music in general" here, they are specifically and uniquely criticising Tyler. Fair enough, he went out there to provoke people, so hopefully theres a lesson in this (and all the bottles being thrown at shows and the general carnage) that if you go out there to fuck with people, they are going to fuck with you back.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    bassie said:

it's definitely a "moral panic" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic and obviously rap has a long history of those, going all the way to gangsta rap, 2 live crew, public enemy, so in one way it feels right to get defensive of rap artists in these situations, since so many things get blamed on rap music. (although perhaps just as much on violent films and video games etc).

However i do think that it's a very good thing in 2011 that people are criticizing casual homophobia, because there is just so much of it about, and particularly in rap music. And it's not like people are even criticising "rap music in general" here, they are specifically and uniquely criticising Tyler. Fair enough, he went out there to provoke people, so hopefully theres a lesson in this (and all the bottles being thrown at shows and the general carnage) that if you go out there to fuck with people, they are going to fuck with you back.

I am not getting "defensive of rap artists in these situations".
    I find it difficult to defend homophobia in 2011.

Again - my comment was on the idea that people are not speaking out against Tyler for fear of being labeled racist or not "getting it" - neither of which have, to date, kept many others from criticizing rap - be it for homophobia, racism, violence, materialism, etc....which, to your point, are all prevalent in many aspects of our society - from government policies to schooling to movies and TV.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bassie said:
    Again - my comment was on the idea that people are not speaking out against Tyler for fear of being labeled racist or not "getting it" - neither of which have, to date, kept many others from criticizing rap
    I don't know that I would agree with that. I've of course seen a lot of criticism of rap from civilians and the mainstream media, but I've seen very little criticism of rap from music/music-industry/music-press folks, and when it does occur on any significant scale I almost always see it followed by charges of racism, ignorance, and/or old-fuckness.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are a lot of music-affiliated folks--both in the real world and right here on the internets--who don't like rap but are too career-savvy/image-conscious to say so.

james said:
    I've seen very little criticism of rap from music/music-industry/music-press folks, and when it does occur on any significant scale I almost always see it followed by charges of racism, ignorance, and/or old-fuckness.

I am not trying to be stubborn or difficult, but I can't say I see it the same way.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Just in case anybody thinks that rap only gets criticised for homophobia, I wanted to say that myself and most of my friends who were all into rap in the '90s tend to criticise rap mainly for how sh*t it is these days.

It's also homophobic as f*ck. But that didn't bother people so much when the records weren't sh*t.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    yeah exactly, rap was made for criticism, whats bad about criticising it?

• crawdawgcrawdawg 16 Posts
    What kinda damn fool names their album "I'm Gay"?