Strut, what kind of kombucha are you breuwing?

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Right now I've got a culture going using this caffeine-free chai blend from South Africa. I've gotten two batches out of it and so far its been spot on. Perhaps a bit strong as I had my mushroom in a jar that was way too small, but I have since transferred it to a larger bowl and should be harvesting another batch in a few days!

(thats the tea on the far left)

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    the one on the left is a chai tea?

I've only recently discovered kombucha. I've only found it at stores under the Yogi brand with green tea and passion fruit added.
    Its good, but I'm looking for better.

Looks like you have to brew it to really get the good stuff. Add it to my "to do list"

You got a great recipe or instruction on how?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    It says its chai, so I guess so...

I've never had or heard of Yogi brand. GTs brand is sort of the standard bearer, although they've gotten a lot of flack/lost their gold sheen ever since they had to retool their recipe. I still drink it, albeit not as fervently. Wonder Drink brand is a pretty good alternative if you like it a tad more sweet. It was the first stuff I had and is arguably more palatable for people not used to the taste yet.

I've never tried growing a culture from scratch, so I couldn't really help you there. Some yoga lady gave me a fully formed mushroom because she saw me buying some of the bottled stuff one day. I just looked up instructions online and sorta winged it. Part way through a friend of mine gave me some pointers via facebook, which helped out.

But basically once you get your mushroom going, you feed it some sweetened tea of your choosing, cover it up with a breathable cheesecloth, and let it sit for 7-10 days -in a warm spot of the house if thats a possiblilty. When its ready to drink you pour it out, but leave about 20% in the bottle to start your next batch.

I was just checking up on mine and sort of freaked out because it looked like white mold was forming at the top.. but upon further research it turns out to be just yeast collecting to form another culture...

i think :I

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    What's the one that smells like dirty feet and vinegar? That's the one I unfortunately tried.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Started in Russia, makes you think.
    I seen some odd starter kits on the bay, but they look suspect.

I think I'm going to the library for direction, plenty of books in the recent years have popped up about this fungi.

I'd like to hear update on how your batch turns out.

I can see making some crazy concoctions with this tea in the future once I start making/growing it.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    What's the one that smells like dirty feet and vinegar? That's the one I unfortunately tried.

It must had been unsweetened, I heard the same thing before.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I used to brew it. I still have the mother but shes been dormant for years.

If you drink too much of this stuff you will get mud-butt. Be careful.

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    Burns said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

It must had been unsweetened, I heard the same thing before.

think it depends on the tea and sugar------------my girl has been making it recently, If she makes it, I drink it,
    if she doesn't, then I don't........another one similar is called rejuvelac.......
    and when i used to go sk8boarding a lil more regularly; for similar refreshing drink I would have:
    S/S water bottle,
    1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
    Squeezed slice of lemon
    capful of applecider vinegar

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    What's the benefit of this stuff?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

you read my thoughts
    i've been wondering myself...is the passionfruit actually as good as goya passion fruit juice
    i buy organic everything but never pulled the trigger on this concoction

The_Hook_Up said:

Please refer to ??2.0.1:

Wonder Drink brand is a pretty good alternative if you like it a tad more sweet. It was the first stuff I had and is arguably more palatable for people not used to the taste yet.

Specifically, I recommend:

or

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    pcmr said:
    DB_Cooper said:

you read my thoughts
    i've been wondering myself...is the passionfruit actually as good as goya passion fruit juice
    i buy organic everything but never pulled the trigger on this concoction

it's amazing that i even click on these threads anymore...... not that they're uninteresting or not helpful for others..... but last night i was talking with a sales rep about having a dr pepper fountain gun installed in my kitchen. i'm very clearly in the wrong room.

maybe we should pioneer a "health foods/organic food -R" thread tag.

DB_Cooper said:

There are all sorts of medical claims people make about it, but I don't know how much scientific research has been done. There are lots of anti-oxidants (EGCGs) and all sorts of B-vitamins according to the USDA nutrition label of the GTs brand. So, at best its a miracle potion that will cure terminal disease. At worst its a tasty, fizzy alternative to sodas, juices,or other overly sweetened commercial beverages.

button said:
    DB_Cooper said:

There are all sorts of medical claims people make about it, but I don't know how much scientific research has been done. There are lots of anti-oxidants (EGCGs) and all sorts of B-vitamins according to the USDA nutrition label of the GTs brand. So, at best its a miracle potion that will cure terminal disease. At worst its a tasty, fizzy alternative to sodas, juices,or other overly sweetened commercial beverages.

Gotcha. So as long as I'm eating healthy and taking my whole food multivitamin, I'm good? 'Cause I'm not trying to drink something that tastes funky unless it's got a real benefit to it. Like gin.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    gotcha so if i am going to pay$ for bottled kombucha i'll buy organic cranberrypomegrant instead
    and if i am going to do some homebrew mushroom action i'll brew my own IPA

I guess I forgot to mention that the teas become slightly alcoholic when fermented.

DB_Cooper said:
    Like gin.

I was only half joking here. The juniper extract in gin is used as a diuretic to treat kidney disorders. Combine with lime, which prevents rickets, tonic water, which ameliorates malaria, and alcohol, which lowers the human body temperature and stimulates awesomeness, and you've got a bitching summer drink. Served over plenty of ice, of course.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Like gin.

I was only half joking here. The juniper extract in gin is used as a diuretic to treat kidney disorders. Combine with lime, which prevents rickets, tonic water, which ameliorates malaria, and alcohol, which lowers the human body temperature and stimulates awesomeness, and you've got a bitching summer drink. Served over plenty of ice, of course.

now we're talkin some kombuchas i can sit with.

• I think also (health-wise), kombucha, like yogurt, has live strains of good microbes.

Relatedly, I was sad to learn that jarred sauerkraut is 'dead' - pasteurized. A russian friend (again the russians), convinced me of the immense superiority (flavor-wise and nutritionally) of live sauerkraut.

I've made it a few times, and it's great. But I'd like to invest in the proper crock some day so I can make bigger amounts easier...

What happened to GT's? It fell off? That's the kind I tend to get, b/c the other brands I've tried tasted like weak koolaid.

• brokenrecord said:
    What happened to GT's? It fell off? That's the kind I tend to get, b/c the other brands I've tried tasted like weak koolaid.

Oh, ffs. The goverment got in a tizzy about the approx. .5% alcohol?

How much of that would you have to drink to catch a buzz? I think your stomach would explode first!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Like gin.

replace the lime with grapefruit an add a splash of this ''medicinal'' italian herb liquor

and you have my favorite summer drink...italian mist

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    brokenrecord said:
    Relatedly, I was sad to learn that jarred sauerkraut is 'dead' - pasteurized. A russian friend (again the russians), convinced me of the immense superiority (flavor-wise and nutritionally) of live sauerkraut.

Bubbies Sauerkraut is alive and delicious!

Look for it in the fridge by the pickles.

pcmr said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Like gin.

replace the lime with grapefruit an add a splash of this ''medicinal'' italian herb liquor

and you have my favorite summer drink...italian mist

I do like me some Fernet....

• jaysus said:
    Bubbies Sauerkraut is alive and delicious!

Look for it in the fridge by the pickles.
    Ooh! Thank you! Now that you mention it, I think someone once recommended that kind to me a few years ago, but, as I was ignorant about sauerkraut issues (lol), I didn't pay attention.

Will definitely look for it!