Nothing Compares 2 U - not on YouTubes

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Controversy
    Lady Cab Driver
    When Doves Cry
    Erotic City
    Pop Life

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "Ballad Of Dorothy Parker" is number one forever. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" is a close second.

The rest, in no order:

"When You Were Mine"
    "Kiss"
    "Raspberry Beret"

Probably.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Still thinking..

But while I do, thought I'd poast this:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Not trying to double up some of the joints already said, but these definitely are in my upper echelon of Prince tunes.

anotherloverholenyohead (not on Youtubes...)

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Irresistable Bitch is always up in my party crates.

Also, on some nerd shit, I was thinking about this a while back: Was Prince the last widely relevant "vinyl" artist? By which I mean was he the last big artist with any important portion of their catalog exclusive to the physical medium of records?

I'm not a hundred percent, but I can't think of any big acts doing it later than him. After his heyday, it seems like it was mostly cassingles and bonus tracks on cd singles and whatnot.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    This is the hardest question EVER. I'll play though:

Sometimes It Snows In April
    When You Were Mine
    Play In The Sunshine
    Terminal Condition Of The Heart
    Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Being a huge fan, this Q is unanswerable for me.

Here we go:

Sometimes it snows in april
    When doves cry
    If i was your girlfriend
    Erotic city
    Joy in repetition

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was reading the paper this morning about Garrison Keillor retiring from A Prairie Home Companion this morning.

I was thinking about starting a thread about Garrison Keillor retiring and who should replace him.

It has to be someone with an eclectic taste in music.
    Some one who can write and has an understanding of stage and drama.
    Someone who can sing.
    Someone who understands religion from a mid-westerners perspective.
    Someone from Minnesota.
    Someone whose sense of humor runs along the line of telling someone that to prove their love they would have to jump into Lake Minnetonka and when they jump into the lake tell them that that lake is not Lake Minnetonka.

In other words Prince is the perfect replacement for Garrison Keillor.
    Top 5
    When Doves Cry
    Let's Go Crazy
    Sign Of The Times
    Dead On It
    Ballad Of Dorothy Parker

Except for WDC the others are all negotiable.

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    Prince = Genius.
    I'm down with the aforementioned I Wanna be..., Dorothy Parker..., Doves... plus

HEAD - heard this dropped at Funkmospshere and smashed it, made a bunch of other boogie tunes th followed sound almost unlistenable

BEAUTIFUL NIGHT - killer horns & best rhythm section since James Brown? This shit got me serious about playing music. Extra credit for having Miles Davis guesting on it too.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Dead On It

I like how he brought Tony T onto the stage just few years after this song ;P

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Lady Cab Driver
    Pop Life
    Ballad of Dorothy Parker
    Adore
    Head
    5b) Computer Blue
    5c) Why you wanna treat me so bad

• Laughs all around at Prince's entrance and exit

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My top 5 Prince tunes are:

-"YouNeedAnotherLoverLikeYouNeedAHoleInYourHead" (couldn't find it on youtube).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    pop life
    uptown
    cream
    sexy mf
    fury

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    Darling Nikki

Erotic City
    If I Was Your Girlfriend
    Scandalous
    I Wanna Be Your Lover

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Don't want to repeat youtube posts so could quite happily pick my top five from many of the lists already selected. One not featured and probably not near the top five of most people is this one though:

I don't think I could put together a convincing argument for its merits over many of his other songs but for me personally it cannot be equalled as a song to hear near the end of a long and messy night with friends. The chords, the fact that it's basically a chorus with variations on loop for five minutes, the memories it invokes: it will always be close to my heart.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Erotic City
    Get Off
    Rock Hard in a Funky Place
    Seven
    Sign O the Times
    100 MPH (Mazarati)

Junior said:
    One not featured and probably not near the top five of most people is this one though:

I don't think I could put together a convincing argument for its merits over many of his other songs but for me personally it cannot be equalled as a song to hear near the end of a long and messy night with friends. The chords, the fact that it's basically a chorus with variations on loop for five minutes, the memories it invokes: it will always be close to my heart.
    You know, it's weird: That song's not top five for me (top ten, maybe), and some of the topical stuff about war and oil still sounds a little clunk-clunk, but man, it's probably one of only two or three Prince songs that I am always always always happy to hear, no matter my mood, and I say that as someone who's moody as fuck.

There's so much to like. I like how on the one hand it's kinda chilled and stylish (since it's you know, fucking Prince), but at the same time has such a warm, honest feeling. I like how the title phrase remains the same but means something different in each verse (not unlike Jay-Z's use of "bitch" in "99 Problems"), and in the first chorus follwoing the last verse, I like the way he bends the first "tonight," with that liberated little melisma.

I think you're right, though, that specifics unltimately fail. It's got a very strong yet very abstract appeal, that one. Excellent call.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Dot Parker, live. The one where he asks for a Fruit Cocktail when he sings "I ordered..." (Leno show?)
    Joy In Repetition from the One Night Alone live sets. Widdling never felt so good.
    Rock Hard In a Funky Place (can you even buy banana cologne?)
    Alphabet Street (acoustic out-takey jam offa Black - I got that lick down pat, believe)
    1999. You have sung along to this or you are a liar.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    james said:
    Junior said:
    One not featured and probably not near the top five of most people is this one though:

You know, it's weird: That song's not top five for me (top ten, maybe), and some of the topical stuff about war and oil still sounds a little clunk-clunk, but man, it's probably one of only two or three Prince songs that I am always always always happy to hear, no matter my mood, and I say that as someone who's moody as fuck.

There's so much to like. I like how on the one hand it's kinda chilled and stylish (since it's you know, fucking Prince), but at the same time has such a warm, honest feeling. I like how the title phrase remains the same but means something different in each verse (not unlike Jay-Z's use of "bitch" in "99 Problems"), and in the first chorus follwoing the last verse, I like the way he bends the first "tonight," with that liberated little melisma.

I think you're right, though, that specifics unltimately fail. It's got a very strong yet very abstract appeal, that one. Excellent call.

God bless you James for articulating this so much better than me. For me personally, as much as I absolutely admire Prince for his technical skills and songwriting ability, many of my favourite songs by him are when simplicity rules and he shows off his mastery of melody. You could quite easily listen to Money Don't Matter 2 Night many times over without even picking up on what the verses are about so strong is the overall feeling . It's a song based on an emotional response which I do respond to wholeheartedly.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    God
    If I Was Your Girlfriend (shame he never completed "Camille")
    When The Doves Cry
    Raspberry Beret (12" version)
    can't pick the 5th choice easily.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    How about a top 5 "unreleased" joints:

Extra Loveable

Purple Music

Wonderful Ass

Electric Intercourse

Last Heart

And I would have included "Wouldn't You Love To Love Me" but it isn't on Youtube.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Junior said:
    Don't want to repeat youtube posts so could quite happily pick my top five from many of the lists already selected. One not featured and probably not near the top five of most people is this one though:

underrated track for sure.

in other news, my boyfriend surprised me with tickets to the MAN this saturday for the rapture. i can't think of a better date for the end of the world ;-)

• Girls and Boys is still one of my favourites.

• blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
    Erotic City

• edith head said:

in other news, my boyfriend surprised me with tickets to the MAN this saturday for the rapture. i can't think of a better date for the end of the world ;-)

Review when you have recovered from the experience please.