Is This TomO? (Don Blackman r)

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
so i was watching utubes of don blackman performances and stumbled across this. dude, is that you murdering it at 2:49?

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yer that's Tom. Where are you man?? Come and take a bow.

I'm guessing someone (Don?) saw his cover on youtube.

Well played Sir. Looks like you had a great night.

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Haha, yes that was me! Actually, I did two gigs with Don in the summer - that one and one at the Jazz Cafe. That video you posted is slightly too slow and I wasn't feeling the bass player's groove - my friend Nick played the Jazz Cafe and he nailed the bass line, check it out:

It's quite difficult to see me in that video though!
    Don's working on a new album and I can't wait to hear it when it's finished - hopefully I'll get to see him again sometime soon too. If you haven't witnessed his voice in person, you need to get to one of his gigs. He's looked after his voice so well and it still sounds amazing; that gig at the O2 was incredible because I got to hear my two favourite singers - Don and Leroy Hutson!

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    nice. what is your connection to don blackman? also, when are we going to be able to buy the TomO CD?

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    nice. what is your connection to don blackman? also, when are we going to be able to buy the TomO CD?

Well, I got to meet Don quite a few years back at the Jazz Cafe, through the bass player for his UK band, Nick Cohen. I asked him all about Weldon Irvine, and his own music - and we talked about perfect pitch (which we both have) and other stuff too. I had actually been keeping in touch by e-mail for quite a few years before that though, because he's the kind of guy who always takes the time to reply. Then, I decided to put up a youtube video of his Heart's Desire piano solo, and I sent it to him. When he next came over to London (a year later) he said 'hey Tom, I've put you and your lady on the guest list - let me know when you get here'. I turned up expecting to see him after the show and catch up, but he dragged me up from the crowd right at the end. I hadn't played that solo for ages so I'm glad it went well!
    As for my stuff, I'm really trying to write music right now - I've tried to leave behind distractions such as facebook (temporarily) and forums generally, just to make more time for thinking, practising and writing. I teach Mathematics full-time so I value every second I can make to do music. It's tough writing though - I still feel like there's a fair amount of writer's block. I've got a few tracks in the pipeline though and I'll keep working on it. The most CD I've played / written songs on is this one (I play for the Beauty Room but the last album came out a long time ago, in 2006):

http://www.jazzcds.co.uk/artist_id_921/cd_id_1545

You can hear / download the whole track on soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/tcbass/brazilian-wax#

I think that album is also available on iTunes - the song I wrote is called 'Brazilian Wax' but I intended for it to sound rawer than it ended up. It's a bit too polished - you need to listen to it on headphones or speakers with plenty of bass, to stop it from sounding too smooth!

The other song that I think is quite representative of the way I write, is a track called 'I'm Down':

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/out-of-the-darkness/id27054646

Unfortunately I was mistakenly never credited with writing any of that track, but in fact I wrote all the harmony for it, so I will probably cover it when I produce my own album.
    TomO

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    oh shit

TomO said:

:face_melt: Tom.