Dr. Louis Gates / PBS Black in Latin America

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central

Watch the full episode. See more Black in Latin America.

This is good he did four he total and each show is as good as the other. Black folk throughout the diaspora telling our stories. Anyone else watch these joints?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    my momma was tellin me to peep this. i wanna check big time.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    batmon said:

All four of them are up on the PBS website. I never realized how deep this shit is really opened my eyes.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    can't wait to watch. thanks for posting this.

sweatshop said:
    batmon said:

All four of them are up on the PBS website. I never realized how deep this shit is really opened my eyes.

sheeeeeeeit.

slavery is a mutha

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    He did another great series for PBS (can't remember the title right now) where he took 4-5 famous black people and did research on their family background. Two of the most memorable things from that series were:

1) Don Cheadle's family were slaves to an Indian tribe in the south or midwest and never owned by whites.

2) Almost every single person said that they had Indian relatives. This was usually in reference to someone that had "good hair" as in, "They have good hair because they're part Indian." The DNA tests on every single one of them showed that they did not have a drop of Indian in them. Rather they all had white relatives. A researcher theorized that the quite common story of "Indian relatives" was made up by black families to cover up the centuries of race mixing in the U.S. And at least for the people in the show, this wasn't another popular story, that slave masters raped all their slaves, but rather regular whites and blacks have been mixing in America both before and after slavery, but due to racism could not openly talk about it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    This series is essential viewing for anyone
    If you are intereted in the subject i suggest you read the works of Carlos Moore
    an erudit professor who has literally been through the whole diaspora
    his parents are jamaican and barbados living in cuba..he worked with fidel until he saw the revolution would turn its back on the black population...he then exiled to senegal where he was research assistant for the greatest african anthropologist of all time Cheick Anta Diop (dude that proved the first man was african)...then wrote fela's biography
    then went to teach in brazil..and now spolits his time between bahia and st-vincent
    hearing this man analyse racism and history is mind bending

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Awesome and fascinating. Thanks for posting. Not the same without all the amazing film shots, but if anyone wants to read more about palenques and quilombos and hand wringing namby pamby abolitionists, I have PDFs for this

pcmr said:
    Cheick Anta Diop

:goat:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Awesome and fascinating. Thanks for posting. Not the same without all the amazing film shots, but if anyone wants to read more about palenques and quilombos and hand wringing namby pamby abolitionists, I have PDFs for this

yes please

• don_gigantedon_gigante 259 Posts
    sweatshop said:

Watch the full episode. See more Black in Latin America.

This is good he did four he total and each show is as good as the other. Black folk throughout the diaspora telling our stories. Anyone else watch these joints?

good stuff...a point of contention though....Gates asks about Son and one of the musicians replies that the guitar came from Spain, the rest from Africa...but, didnt the guitar come with the Moors from N. Africa? who themselves got it via West Africa??

also check 'Havana Nocturne' by TJ English for some excellent insight on the mob glory days in pre-Fidel Cuba

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I understand that the earliest stringed instruments, bowed, picked, strummed came from Africa.

Frets came from Europe (as I understand it) and the 12 tone scale from Greece.

So it would depend on how you define guitar.

motown67 said:
    He did another great series for PBS (can't remember the title right now) where he took 4-5 famous black people and did research on their family background. Two of the most memorable things from that series were:

1) Don Cheadle's family were slaves to an Indian tribe in the south or midwest and never owned by whites.

2) Almost every single person said that they had Indian relatives. This was usually in reference to someone that had "good hair" as in, "They have good hair because they're part Indian." The DNA tests on every single one of them showed that they did not have a drop of Indian in them. Rather they all had white relatives. A researcher theorized that the quite common story of "Indian relatives" was made up by black families to cover up the centuries of race mixing in the U.S. And at least for the people in the show, this wasn't another popular story, that slave masters raped all their slaves, but rather regular whites and blacks have been mixing in America both before and after slavery, but due to racism could not openly talk about it.

Yes I saw that special also dealing with genealogy. That was a very good show also esp since i had just began to research my family roots. I also remember the part regarding black folk claiming to have Native America roots (good hair). He had also stated that this was in part due to black folk romanticizing the idea they their ancestors fought their white slave masters and sought refuge w/ Native Americans. And he did pretty much put to rest the whole myth of Native American ancestry for a lot pf black folk.

batmon said:
    pcmr said:
    Cheick Anta Diop

:goat:

Hell yes.....

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    recommended